The Great WI 50cc Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am not taking but sides but doesn't this 5100 vs. 346xp stuff amount to a $400 saw vs a $500 saw? The 346 costs about $100 more as far as I can tell and people still buy it. Doesn't that pretty much answer the question?
Don't shoot the messenger. Even though I would love to have a 346, I would be unlikely to spend that much on a saw. If I decided that I was more comfortable with the price of the Dolmar (and that is very likely), I would not then declare that I actually owned the better saw.

That is pretty much how it really is. If you want the decomp and primer bulb, spend the extra hundred and get the 346/2153. I don't need them and I'll keep the hundred.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

Not a problem JD

Niko, fatten up that low speed screw and it should liven up the trigger response.
I haven't noticed that being a problem on any 5100's.:chainsaw:

I think it's not so much a problem as it comes down to preferences.
Like Niko, I think the 346's throttle is superior to the 5100. But that doesn't make the 5100 a bad saw.
I think our friend in Norway takes the head to head category of performance characteristics a bit seriously. So by direct comparison of the two, to him, the 5100 falls on it's face in the category of throttle response.
You know actually my 435 that I picked up this year might be as fast or perhaps even a bit faster on the trigger than my 346!!
It's all good . . . . both the 5100 and 346 are awesome saws.

Al

I think it's not so much a problem as it comes down to preferences.
Like Niko, I think the 346's throttle is superior to the 5100. But that doesn't make the 5100 a bad saw.
I think our friend in Norway takes the head to head category of performance characteristics a bit seriously. So by direct comparison of the two, to him, the 5100 falls on it's face in the category of throttle response.
You know actually my 435 that I picked up this year might be as fast or perhaps even a bit faster on the trigger than my 346!!
It's all good . . . . both the 5100 and 346 are awesome saws.

Al

:agree2:

Al,

I was essentially writing the same post when I saw yours. Good job.

When one of the best, most reliable saws ever, the Stihl 026/260, seems to be in third place on the AS 50cc "covet list", that simply means there are some great saws in the 50cc class. The 5100 and 346XP have different "feels" to me, and that is good. Each individual can make their choice and everyone comes out a winner.

Celebrate diversity,

ole joat

He's saw trolling as usual

I never had a problem with acceleration, stock or modded:buttkick:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ubtn26DfATA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ubtn26DfATA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I never had a problem with acceleration, stock or modded:buttkick:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ubtn26DfATA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ubtn26DfATA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I counted too 5 before that saw was at full revs ............:popcorn:

This never ends.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HNTxr2NJHa0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HNTxr2NJHa0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hey Chev.....Please quit manipulating your videos! :jester:

Please go fall flat on your face somewhere, would ya. :buttkick:

That is pretty much how it really is. If you want the decomp and primer bulb, spend the extra hundred and get the 346/2153. I don't need them and I'll keep the hundred.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

Maybe it's that outboard clutch they like so well...

You're right

Maybe it's that outboard clutch they like so well...

The outboard clutch means a slimmer case width and there by improves handling. Well done there Dolmar fan! See, you do know a better saw when you see it!

Al :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The outboard clutch means a slimmer case width and there by improves handling. Well done there Dolmar fan! See, you do know a better saw when you see it!

Al :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

026 Stihl is slim and it has inboard clutch .......:):)

So the 372 must handle like a box of bricks with its inboard clutch.... ..........:clap::clap:

Outboard clutches have that gyro effect when lined up with the stars .....Thats why I limb one handed with my 3120's .

Last edited:
026 Stihl is slim and it has inboard clutch .......

Good thing, poor little underpowered twerp saw that it is! :popcorn:

So the 372 must handle like a box of bricks with its inboard clutch.... ..........

What on earth does that have to do with 50cc saw shootout?!?! Since you brought it up, have you ever actually handled one in person, or just bash without any real world experience? To me the 372XP is worlds nicer to handle than either my brothers 044, or the new 441 I handled a few months ago at the local Stihl dealer. The Stihls feel bloated and heavy in a not too user friendly kind of way, something I didn't experience with the Husky's till you get up to the 390XP and up. Not bashing, I'm sure Stihl makes some very nice saws, I just haven't ran across one yet.

Scott

Last edited:
Good thing, poor little underpowered twerp saw that it is! :popcorn:

Have you ever actually handled one in person, or just bash without any real world experience? To me the 372XP is worlds nicer to handle than either my brothers 044, or the new 441 I handled a few months ago at the local Stihl dealer.

Scott

I still own one 372 and have sold and run plenty of them ......Also still have a 2171 ...

In the last 5 year I have had 5-372's , 2-365's , 2-2165's ,1-2071 and 3-2171's ..........Yes I have run them Scott ....

Last edited:
I still own one 372 and have sold and run plenty of them ......Also still have a 2171 ...

In the last 5 year I have had 5-372's , 2-365's , 2-2165's ,1-2071 and 3-2171's ..........Yes I have run them Scott ....

Well than, what would you know? :)

Do you truly feel they handle worse than an 044/MS440/MS441? Seriously? The 372XP feels almost on par with a 361 I ran recently, way better than my father in laws 310, fat pig that it is.

Well than, what would you know?

As always, something to say, never intelligent, on topic, or helpful.

Scott

Nothing other than the outboard clutch thing is just a PITA .....

It is obviously the singular downside to an otherwise far superior saw. I guess I will give you that. :clap:

Scott

So the 372 must handle like a box of bricks with its inboard clutch.... ..........:clap::clap:

Yes just like the 5100 - - but a 50cc saw shouldn't handle that way. Oh wait the 5100 is just good for bucking - - - you know all that power and 3/8 chain and all! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Al :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

What's a "menan"?!?! Or is that how "men" with spindly arms type the English word "men"? Merriam-Webster online is a nice feature, you should look into it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Scott

Latest posts

Back