Absolute BEST chain for 50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's an old post but here's my two cents: I recently bought an old red lever 026 and did a mild port/ gasket delete/muffler mod. Had an 18" .325/.063 bar/chain. Put a 16" 3/8" .050 bar/chain on (both semi chisel full comp oregon and both on 7 tooth rims). Either bar combo scream but I felt like the 18" cut better. Have only been cutting pecan and some oak tho. I like the .325 better for limbing, bucking, even rip cutting. bout to get a 20" bar and full chisel chain to try out as the saw can bury the 18" even in hard wood. I'm guessing probly just depends on what you're cutting

Stihl 33rs used to be my favorite for the 50cc saw class until I tried Stihl 23rs pro. Simply a smoother faster cut. Drawbacks are more teeth to sharpen and easier to pinch the bar with the narrower cut. On the large saws I still use 33rs. And a large saw would not under utilize a low profile chain if you set the depth gauges for a more aggressive cut to match the power output.
If I could get a 3/8 low profile drive sprocket I would go with the Stihl PS chain for the larger saws, but no luck finding one yet.
I think you can run picco chain on regular 3/8 drive sprocket.

FWIW, my 026 is markedly faster with 3/8 than is is with RSP, even with an 8 pin. For limbing and brushing work I definitely would go with the .325, but for general use it usually wears a 16" 33RS setup.
Disclamer: My 026 is far from stock, and is just as happy pulling a 25 as it is the 16....

Attachments

• VN20230219_185136.mp4
    18 MB
You can, but it hammers the drive links. 3/8 lo pro rims are slightly larger in diameter. Has something to do with the chassis/driver size/rivet placement
Ok, I run the picco semichisel on a stihl 361, but that was back in 2012 and only for a short while before I stupidly sold the saw. I was sure that the picco super was the fastest and smoothest cutting chain on the 261 but I am not 100% sure at this moment. Maybee at cutting under about 40 cm/16 inc or so. I also have the stihl .325 1,3 mm ful chisel chain, the RS pro I think its called. 16 inch b&c. I may try it some more to find out if its better than the picco super.

My 261 is only a month and I notice its powefull, could regular 3/8 be an idea? I have been very satisfied with the Husqvarna C 85 chain. Or is the kerf too big, and the chain for demanding for the saw? It may demand a 60 cc saw.

Ok, I run the picco semichisel on a stihl 361, but that was back in 2012 and only for a short while before I stupidly sold the saw. I was sure that the picco super was the fastest and smoothest cutting chain on the 261 but I am not 100% sure at this moment. Maybee at cutting under about 40 cm/16 inc or so. I also have the stihl .325 1,3 mm ful chisel chain, the RS pro I think its called. 16 inch b&c. I may try it some more to find out if its better than the picco super.

My 261 is only a month and I notice its powefull, could regular 3/8 be an idea? I have been very satisfied with the Husqvarna C 85 chain. Or is the kerf too big, and the chain for demanding for the saw? It may demand a 60 cc saw.
I would stick with .325 on the 261, unless you have a bunch of other 3/8 chains and you’re trying to simplify your chain management and sharpening

I want to be impressed!
Then the 16in stihl bar in 3/8lp as others have mentioned is what you need with the stihl 63ps chain. This will cut fastest than everything else (unless u get a smaller bar/chain)

I suppose you can get more speed if you sent the chain out to be square filed but that's about it.

Oregon .325 15 inch bars and lpx chain are the hot set up for 50cc around my place.
They're way cheaper than stihl chain and really common.

I put a 14 inch 3/8lp on one saw for clearing muddy trails cutting dirty trees. Those chains are dirt cheap so I dont mind tossing them out when they get wrecked. This set up was about as fast as .325 on a really strong 50cc saw and faster than it on a slow 50cc saw.

It’s hard to beat a 16”/18” on .325” .063” (26 RS) full comp full chisel on a strong 50cc. I run the rakers around .035” and my saw (261) pulls both bars equally well but in my opinion the 18” seems to be where it’s at. I can’t really tell a difference with the 16” bar besides ergonomics. I have a 14” lp setup I have thought about trying but the saw cuts too good with an 18” and is versatile.

It’s hard to beat a 16”/18” on .325” .063” (26 RS) full comp full chisel on a strong 50cc. I run the rakers around .035” and my saw (261) pulls both bars equally well but in my opinion the 18” seems to be where it’s at. I can’t really tell a difference with the 16” bar besides ergonomics. I have a 14” lp setup I have thought about trying but the saw cuts too good with an 18” and is versatile.

If you like the .325 .063 you should try the .325 .050 narrow kerf (23 RS Pro). I made the switch, was suitably impressed, and won't be looking back.

Latest posts

Back