The Great Chain Race

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
johns chain

hello gypo logger,
novel approach, the pipe wrench, got your video, I got 1.63 seconds also. your getting quicker and quicker with each modification. now just think how it will cut when you square file it. we'll just have to see what uncle art thinks. If anyone would like to see these chain cutting video's that john is sending just e-mail me your e-mail address
ken

Ken,
You know me, I'll watch any chainsaw video! Also I am looking forward to see the time you get with my chain. If you want you can run it against another so I can compare easyer.:angel:

Also, this Saturday if all goes right I'll send the second part. If you need more just let me know.:D

Thanks,
Chris

John, Ken, you guys obviously have a better grasp on the pipe wrench than I do...I broke three teeth off trying to get them to stand up a little straighter ...now also...do you also put the heel down a little farther after the tooth is stood up??

*Learning to file as well*

Hi Dennis, you are probably just being to hammer fisted with the wrench, remember, everything you do to your chain must be with a light touch, just as though you were playing a violin. Oregon chain is much more user friendly when altering cutters with the pipe wrench.
You may also try a fine bladed hack saw in order to get the corner in the corner and then gently tickle it with a 7/32. Once you have broken thru the chrome with the hacksaw then its all easy sledding from there.
Hope this helps,
John

John, that seems to help a bit, as I would having problems starting the file...but i am still over bending the cutters..I am taking them to about 35 degrees out to increase the curf width, like Ken told me, but I am still breaking the odd one..but getting better..I am going to try to improvise my degree wheel so I can keep the left and right hand cutters consistent...with any luck no cutters should be tossed off the chain in the cut...like last time...poor dog...maybe I will try the calipers...have to experiment yet....

Just trying something new here. Its a still image with audio. If it works I can really start to harass you all.
John

John
I received the piece of chain that you sent me as a replacement for the one I made into a racing chain for you. The chain that you sent me was off the same roll that you sent to Walt for his racing chain to you. Walt said the chrome was twice as thick on that chain so he couldn't get a sharp edge on it because of that. Well to set all the Carlton chain users and prospective users minds at ease, I did a cross section comparison chrome check under a microscope of several teeth off the chain you sent me, and several teeth off the chain I sent you. The final result was that all the chrome had the exact same thickness which to me indicates that their quality control is real good.
Art Martin

Thats good news Art, and a swell plug for Carlton. If Ross Blanton is listening I think he should send you a free 25'reel of A1 on the weight of your findings alone. Thats if Carlton knows how to feather their nest.
Anyway, thats what I would do if I had any pull with Carlton.
John

What ever happened to posts like this one? This was really good reading. Thanks to Ken, John, Art and Walt.:blob2:

another one from the archives!! Good call Doug...

Ever since that thread I have been using alot of Carelton square ground...trying to learn the fine art of square filing.....that is alot of work...but when you get it just right...man does it cut!!

Doug,
You asked whatever happened to posts like this. Well, John is usually the author who gets things going. For example, when he posted a picture of the racing chain that I made for him, all hell broke loose. That subject lasted a month or more. It seemed like it caught the attention of a lot of Arborists because it seemed to have the essential elements for a real mystery novel. There was suspense, intrique, excitement and suspicion that there was some sinister plot to bait some guru unknowingly into this plan. I certainly was not a party to anything like that. The final result of that fiasco was the credibility and image of a chainsaw icon being damaged.

Art Martin

I think possibly Tom, that you should read Art's last sentence...he wasn't happy with what happened....that makes him a better man than us.....but we left the thread alone...which was a mistake...it should have been taken off...Walt Galer is a respected member of AS, and we all hope he will return one day.

As for yourself...you cannot leave well enough alone, you have driven off a well respected member who has helped hundreds of members here. Noone cares if his chains are faster than yours...he helped anyone that asked...and those that didn't.

Art Martin is, and always will be, 10x THE MAN you are.

This really isn't discussion for open forum...but I feel you leave us no choice Tom. Your input to the forum has been nothing but negative, and frankly, not wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back