The great thing about having a rivet spinner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I screwed up yesterday, and the chain came off. My fault, no doubt about it.

Several drivers were damaged and the chain no longer would move in the bars grooves. So I got out the dremel and stated removing metal in an attempt to save the relatively new chain. After 30 or so minutes, I said screw this and tossed the chain in the garbage. Then I thought Hold On. That's a $30 chain. Today I will go thru it and remove the 10 or 12 damaged drivers and reconnect the chain. It will be a 91, 84, or a 72 driver chain and work on my other bars on my other saws. This will be the 3rd or 4th time I will be using the spinner. I feel it has already paid for itself. The other option would be to take the remaining good chain to a shop and have them reconnect the chain. Nearest shop to me is 50 miles away. No Thanks!

Tis a great thing, running the same chain specs on all my saws and bars (i.e. 3/8, 0.050 -- everything is cross compatible).

What I find interesting is that a 32" Chain cost less then a 28 incher. Oregon 72EXJs is what I have stock piled and considered a good value in chain costs vs performance.

I've been there.

I'm not suggesting it but with a chain that won't turn due to burrs I've hit full throttle while simultaneously striking the bottom of the chain on the bar the way it should be turning against a stump.
I've done similar, I just loosen the chain way up, pin the throttle for a bit, tighten it down and keep cutting. If I'm close to home or a file I'll fix it properly, but for a light derail in the middle of the woods this method works fine.

Back