The handing down of the maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My two oldest kids have been a huge help in collecting and stacking of the fire wood. Both (age 10 and 7) have been showing and patiently begging for more responsibility. (Wanting to split wood ,run the saw, ect.)
I have a very special maul that was given to me 33 years ago that I have used every year to split most all my firewood. Needless to say I have a very special attachment to this maul. So I thought it may be time to pass it down.
So I made a special short 22" hickory handle. I also recently seen this cool rope wrapping that I thought was awesome so I gave it a go.
Here are some photos of the finished product. I hope that this will form an attachment to one of my children as it has with me.
20150928_130205.jpg
20150928_130212.jpg 20150928_130227.jpg 20150928_130231.jpg 20150928_130240.jpg 20150928_130245.jpg

I understand what you mean! My father-in-law gave me his maul about 5 years ago. Nothing special about it, it's a 6 lb Ludell made in Japan casting. He bought it in the late 70s and used it for about 30 years until my mother-in-law convinced him to put heat/air in their house. It's probably had a dozen different handles on it, but I hope to use it for 30 more years then pass it on to my son. My wife used to go to the woods with her dad (my FIL) on Saturday mornings when she was about 10 to 16 yo and help him and just hang out. It was kind of their thing together. I just like the history of it.

That's an awesome maul, you don't see that design much or at all anymore. I'm sure they will appreciate and cherish it as you have.
Ya it was (as far as I know ) a one off made in a GE factory. I do not know what steel they used but this is the first time I ever touched up the edge. It is probably in the 5# range (I never weighed it)

So far the rope wrapping is holding up very well.

Nice. I bought my boys the Fiskars, but my cheap fiberglass-handled maul is still my favorite.
My kids also run the Super Split and bust up the big rounds into quarters. Little kids chop the cedar blocks into kindling.

Responsibility is a great thing to pass down. I hope you sit the boys down and tell them the story of the maul and your time with your dad.

I have a couple of mauls, several axes, and a splitting axe from my dad and a couple of axes from my grandpa. We have a "kindling axe" which is a heavy splitting axe head on a short straight handle used for making kindling that goes back to at least my great grandparents.

The rope wrap is a great addition. How did you fasten it once you completed the wrap?

The rope wrap is a great addition. How did you fasten it once you completed the wrap?
Well I jus looped it and wrapped the rope tight over the loop until the bottom. I the slipped the rope and pulled it back under itself. Then clipped off any extra and melted it to itself to element any loose ends.
I may make a video if anyone would want me to.

I have a Gerber camp axe that is really a re-badged Fiskars. I bought it to make kindling, but my 10yo daughter has been putting the whooping to the ash rounds at my place with it. It too has about a 22 inch handle and she wields that thing like a ole pro. It took her two days to master her "technique" its not my style, but she's safe with it and it works for her. Our children are truly a blessing, they want to spend so much time with us and help us its great to allow them the ability to help. They feel good about it and Shoot man, I feel so proud when she splits a round and then the 6yo stacks it. And all they want to do is spend time with me and make me proud. WIN WIN WIN. Enjoy your kids out there fellas!

Hey check it out. Proud daddy moment. This is my oldest practicing with her new maul.

Arrrghhh! HAHAHAHA! Looked like me last night with this twisted up yard oak. Swing, bounce! My back was out this past weekend, that isn't helping any either. Cords and cords, and not even near done cutting it up yet....more HAHAHAHAHA Looking more and more like noodlemania all winter long now...

Latest posts

Back