The Health of Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Down To Earth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the state of logging out west? I went to forestry school in Colorado and know there is very little commercial logging there. TSI work if anything. Ironically living in NY logging is everywhere and I depend on timber for my livilihood. I was curious about the state of forestry in other regions. Here the hardwood sawlog market is strong. Cherry, Hard Maple, Red Oak, Soft Maple, Ash, Basswood and Birch are the big players. Pulpwood market is here but hurting unless you are connected. I see alot of high graded wood lots as well as some quality wood lots. what are you guys seeing, dealin with?

Here on the west coast, softwood log prices are up and will stay that way provided the Canadians don't flood us with wood. What is bringing the highest money right now is high-grade Douglas Fir and any species with a peeler grade log.

Hey Jacob, how long do you think those BC boys will hold off, I'm bettin we see a change just before November. Heard that alot lot of ships won't be in Grays harbor after Sep.

i am in western colorado, and you are right there is very little commercial cutting. the hayman burn area has seen some cutting, but it is mostly small timber. some doug fir, some ponderosa. in the buena vista area, there are small sales all the time, 35 to 50 mbf, dead and green ponderosa. most sales are small trees, under 18" dbh. last one i looked at went for around $20/mbf. most valuable around here is standing dead dry engleman spruce. around $350/mbf delivered to the mill. most all proposed timber sales around here get tied up in court by the tree huggers for years. alot of the good timber areas can only be logged from june 1 to about mid to late october because of snow.

Spencer, so are there people in the buena vista area that make a living logging it? Also what is the nearest mill? I thought that the LP mill in Delta shut it's doors 5/6 years ago. When I was going to school there the only full time mechanized logger was a man by the name of mark morgan. Everyone else was doing fire mitigation type work. have things changed?

the wafer board plant is shut down. i think most of the logs that are cut in the buena vista area, go to mills in delta, or montrose. i suspect that alot of the ponderosa gets made into t&g panneling. the small doug fir, i dont know. most buyers of beams and such want free of heart center. several loads of doug fir i saw heading toward delta, were probably averaging under 16" dbh. as far as anyone making any money, i dont know. there is so much of the ponderosa available, the market is pretty soft. i am a framing contractor by trade, and right now, i pay $650/mbf for 2x4 dfl. so i have been supplying spruce 2x4 for my jobs. not graded, but for nonstructural, its fine. could easily use ponderosa for that. the areas that are being cut are pretty flat and can be logged year round. with a price of $20/mbf, there could be some money it framing lumber.

Back