The Husqvarna's I saw today seemed cheap.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinglerM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I stopped by an industrial supply store that was a Husky dealer to check out some saws. I'm interested in a 359 and a 346, so I wanted to check them out. I have to say...I wasn't real impressed with how any of them looked, they had about 9 or 10 different models 137, 340, 353, 353, 359 Rancher, a 360(If I remember correctly) and some others, no 346. Anyway, they all seemed real cheaply made I don't know if it was the overall plastic look or just the overall look. But they all seemed "cheap".
I still might get a 346, but, man. Those Husky's seem cheap. The choke lever and on/off switch would take some getting used to.
The quality of the Husky doesn't seem as good as Stihl or Dolmar. I know from reading here that Husky's are great saws....but they "look cheap".

Mitch

In my best bart simpson voice: HA HA:hmm3grin2orange:

I like the feel/look of the J-reds better but everyone knows what I like:cheers:

Can't argue with that

Those are the box store offerings.

The Poulan Pro that the local box store had next to that same line up actually looked like more of a saw though they did not have the 359.

The 359 does not look bad unless they changed it.

I know from reading here that Husky's are great saws....but they "look cheap".
Mitch

Haha. That's what I think when I look at the plastic dash in my truck, but it still runs good.
What happened to the "good old days" when they used steel in dash boards, and the only plastic on a saw was the starter handle?:laugh:

Andy

I'll agree that outside of the XP's, they do look cheapo, and most of them are really. It's hard to find a 359 in a box store or retailer around here, Lowes doesn't carry them in my area and any you find are left over old stock.

You pretty much have to go to a dealer to find any XP saws.

Chuck

I stopped by an industrial supply store that was a Husky dealer to check out some saws. I'm interested in a 359 and a 346, so I wanted to check them out. I have to say...I wasn't real impressed with how any of them looked, they had about 9 or 10 different models 137, 340, 353, 353, 359 Rancher, a 360(If I remember correctly) and some others, no 346. Anyway, they all seemed real cheaply made I don't know if it was the overall plastic look or just the overall look. But they all seemed "cheap".
I still might get a 346, but, man. Those Husky's seem cheap. The choke lever and on/off switch would take some getting used to.
The quality of the Husky doesn't seem as good as Stihl or Dolmar. I know from reading here that Husky's are great saws....but they "look cheap".

Mitch
I'm not sure you've conveyed your message. You need to be more clear. :laugh:

Yea, I wont argue that the monotone color makes it look like a cheaper saw than it's two toned rival, but aesthetics don't mean a whole lot to me. It's what's under the hood that matters to me. Mechanically, I believe they are equal. (amongst their class) If you're going to compare homeowner line of saws to the competition's pro saws, then yes, you'll find disappointment.

Like Chuck said, the 359 or any of the XP saws are a rare find at a dealer. Mostly, all I see are the bottom end homeowner saws there.

A lot of people comment on the look of the new (been out for a few years) style choke and ignition switch on husky saws. People don't like the plastic soft feel of them and are afraid that they will break frequently but the truth is that we have not had one saw come back with them broken. On the other hand we have replaced many of the old style ignition switches due to the red slide getting snapped off or getting very stiff and hard to move.

Has anybody here broken the red flip up ignition switch or blue choke lever on their Husky? These are the ones found on the 340, 345, 350, 346XP, 353, 455, 359, 357XP 570, 575XP.

Last edited:
A lot of people comment on the look of the new (been out for a few years) style choke and ignition switch on husky saws. People don't like the plastic soft feel of them and are afraid that they will break frequently but the truth is that we have not had one saw come back with them broken. On the other hand we have replaced many of the old style ignition switches due to the red slide getting snapped off or getting very stiff and hard to move.

Has anybody here broken the red flip up ignition switch or blue choke lever on their Husky?

Never seen broken one and IMO theyre really nice to use, alot nicer than stihls multi-death switch... Also, the husky's choke lever has been like that for atleast 25 years already...

Never seen broken one and IMO theyre really nice to use, alot nicer than stihls multi-death switch... Also, the husky's choke lever has been like that for atleast 25 years already...

The choke is similar to the old ones only they feel softer and are combined with the ignition switch to flip the switch on when you pull the choke out.

Haha. That's what I think when I look at the plastic dash in my truck, but it still runs good.
What happened to the "good old days" when they used steel in dash boards, and the only plastic on a saw was the starter handle?:laugh:

Andy

Every time I look at a steel dashboard I remember knocking my 11 year old brothers two front teeth out, Mom was p!ssed.

Don't fall for the Husky name and paint jobs on those saws, that is the only relationship between the homeowners line and the pro line. Personally IMHO, if you are going to buy a homeowner husky, you might as well save some $ and buy the yellow one.

Don't fall for the Husky name and paint jobs on those saws, that is the only relationship between the homeowners line and the pro line. Personally IMHO, if you are going to buy a homeowner husky, you might as well save some $ and buy the yellow one.

with expection of 340, 345 and 350 which are authentic swedish made huskys...

I Actually like the ranchers, my father in law got one to throw on in his skider for cr@p work and it has done well for him. They aren't fast but they do their job.

Homeowner Vs. Professional Husky

I own both as I bought my Rancher before I knew a lot about chainsaws.

I can tell you there is a big difference between the feel of the two. The rancher and homeowner saws simply aren't the same as the professional ones.

I've used a 346XP, 455 Rancher, 460 Rancher, 272XP, 372XP, and 359.

I've also used a Stihl MS310, MS361, 056, 041.

There doesn't seem to be much difference between Prof. Husky's or Stihls beyond the sound and the design (In the same class saw).

I bought a Husky 372XPW because of Price, Warranty and parts availability. It still annoys me that Stihl is supposedly superior yet they can't extend their warranty to 2 years like Husky.

Last edited:
As a 353 owner, I can say the saw feels less substantial (not flimsy) in my hands than my 038AV. However, at the end of the day, it starts easier, I'm less tired, and is harder to get hung up - probably due to the thin kerf chain.

If I could only take one into the woods, it would be the 353, but the Stihl would be within an hours walk.

Husky's don't seem to have anymore plastic then Stihl. I don't know about their internal construction but my 021 and 029 seem to be all plastic, they're both home owner saws, and both good saws for their purpose. The only Husky I've owned to date in my 365, which is a pro saw. It has the mag case. I don't mind the choke/on/off switches on the Stihl. My 365 has a separate choke and on/off switch that is different from most of the Husky's already mentioned. Just get what one you like the best. :)

I think? the thing Mitch was most concerned about was the choke and on/off levers. There is no difference between my 350 and my 346. The 346 has the snap clamps for the air filter rather than being screwed down like my 350. Other than that the two are identical IMO.

I can assure you, those levers are a LOT stronger than you think, I have seen/done some stuid things and have yet to break one!

Back