The industry during 9/11/01 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I wasn't in the business when the towers fell and would like to know how the industry did for those few months afterwards? Slow down real bad? Anyone in a tree when they found out?

I don't remember a slow down in work although i wasn't into the tree work as much as I am now. I know people left the city and moved to the country, increasing the value of upcounty New York real estate 10 fold almost overnight.
I remember exactly where I was, in a dump truck driving back a load of topsoil to a job and heard it on Imus in the Morning with Warner Wolf describing what he saw out of his apartment. (starts at 2:30)

I stopped to see a television at a donut shop on the road and remember saying to the guys with me that what we were seeing was a terrorist attack. That's long before anyone had ever heard the term. Keep in mind, I was alive when the Jackal was in business in the 70's.

I remember that day like yesterday,,I can't imagine living and working there, but on that day, although we are in San Diego, it affected us,
We were doing the city of Chula Vista tree's,,we blew a hydro line on the bucket and took an early lunch while the repair was being done. That was a day I will remember.
Jeff

Also remember that day like yesterday.
Was starting a job dismantling some large crack willows, and arrived at the job after hearing early news reports that a plane had crashed into one of the towers. I figured it was a little Cessna. As the day went on, we would stop to listen to the radio and it was just surreal. Got home and stayed up till 1 or 2 am watching reruns of the same footage being replayed on CNN and other news channels. Brutal.

I wasn't in tree work at the time, but that day is why I'm doing it now. I was working at the airport at Richmond, VA. On of my co workers came from the front office and said a plane had just crashed into the WTC. My first thought was also a small plane...I said to myself "Great, more airspace restrictions due to some nut with more dollars than sense." Then the co worker said it was an airliner. I couldn't believe it. Walked into the front office to see the TV for myself. Was watching for only a few minutes, when the second plane hit. I said out loud, " That was no accident, this is planned, this means war!" After about 10 more minutes, I said the towers would collapse before dark. No idea it would happen as soon as it did.
What was I doing just before hearing the news? Was putting floor inspection panels back in place on a Piper Navajo. Had just stepped out of the plane to get more screws. Less than a year later I left aviation.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was doing work at my desk. It's kinda weird that I remember it, but young kids are learning about it in history books.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I don't remember how it really affected work so much. Must not have been too bad. I do remember everybody being much more courteous to one another on the road and in person. You just never knew who was directly affected by all of that since we're so close to the Pentagon and DC. A lot of my customers had relatives that died or got injured. Not having any aircraft in the sky at all except for fighter planes was pretty eerie too, we're between National and International Dulles so it's a constant stream of planes.

We were working on a lot of trims in brook park, Ohio right by cle airport. Did not notice anything weird till we went to the local deli for lunch and all the air port workers were there, all talking about what happened. At that point no one really knew what was happening. Went back and finished work, then found out the whole story after arriving home. Did not notice any decrease in business or lack of calls coming in, but everyone did seem nicer to others for a while.

All I remember is going home and being with my wife .... We thought that it might be the last day of what we thought was our normal life ... Tree work was the last thing on my mind I thought Id be beating back someone off my back porch !

We were working in an old ladys yard. She was about 80 plus years old. She came out and said, " I have to tell you that they are bombing New York city with planes." I said "Who, the Canadians?' The crew went inside and watched the tv coverage. Sad day.

Back