The last hurrah

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I been heating with wood since 1979. The misses is tired of burning wood now. The stove is in the basement with vents in the floor. We keep almost a 1/2 cord in the basement. I use between 2 1/2 to 3 cords per winter with oil heat backup.

Not too many options,
Give up buy oil. We can afford it
Install a new boiler, heating system more efficient.
Install duct work over down stair stove better heat flow less stoking.
Put a Vermont castings inset in the fire place upstairs.( high heat blower)
Go to a pellet stove.
Keep wood on hand for backup.

What kind of splitter makes pellets?

Philbert

This kind, lol
eab01850fda76a4781621f2232cddaa7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There’s another option, albeit likely the most expensive one.... get rid of the ‘missus’ and keep burning wood!! :)
I can’t imagine what one would do with all the free time ya’d have not cutting, Hauling, stacking, moving, splitting kindling, lighting fires, sweeping chimneys, then helping the neighbours, friends, family do the same!

Pellets at $250 a ton for one month heating is unacceptable.

She’s old like me. Been with me for 46 years.I talked with the misses today. I have many big trees that need to come down. Plenty of wood for years. I’m thinking burn one fire a night till it gets colder. I know burning wood since ‘79 is getting old. Every so often we lose power for more than a week. That freak snow storm in October we were without power for 1 1/2 weeks. Burning wood and the gennys ran the fridge and my Keurig.
The pellet stove on battery power won’t last that long.

This may not be feasible, but when we had a similar issue back on the farm. My pop decided to get gas heat. Was pretty cheap 10 years or so ago. Makes pretty decent primary heat, with wood as backup...

You gotta bring bags into the house. You still gotta load the thing. Dust gets in the air no matter how gingerly you pour them out. Gotta clean it out. Doesn't have that standard wood burning aroma. And you have to pay for the pellets themselves.

If I ever stop burning wood, it won't be for pellets.

No offense to those who do, but I cannot imagine paying for wood pellets, having to store them, and still having to move them around and mess with a stove when I am locked in at 1.19 a gallon for propane all winter.

My wood boiler is not perfect but if I stage my wood properly and it is covered, it does not take much work to get through the winter.

Not sure where you live, if it's east coast, look into coal.

My folks put a coal stove in place of the wood stove.

They are happy with it. Have had it for 6 or 7 years now.

It works similar to a pellet stove.

My brother has mostly switched to coal in his Hot Blast stove.

No offense to those who do, but I cannot imagine paying for wood pellets, having to store them, and still having to move them around and mess with a stove when I am locked in at 1.19 a gallon for propane all winter.

My wood boiler is not perfect but if I stage my wood properly and it is covered, it does not take much work to get through the winter.

Wonder why it's so cheap. Propane is expensive here.

svk has expensive propane. The cheap stuff is in IA...$0.95 per gallon on fill up a week ago.

Not sure what it is here. Last time I filled a BBQ tank it was in the low $3 gallon area.

Your propane cost is roughly what natural gas goes for here.

Latest posts

Back