The most dangerous trimming of the tree branch with a John Deere backhoe in my life..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkim13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a digger pine tree next to my house that is more than 100 years old.
It needs to trim the agley branches which look so ugly.
It is quite high, about 30ft or more.
So, I had to utilize my Ryobi pole saw, a Husqvarna 450 chainsaw and John Deere 410 backhoe.
It was very dangerous to cut the branches and would be the last cutting for that tree in my life.
Jkk

So, I had to utilize my Ryobi pole saw, a Husqvarna 450 chainsaw and John Deere 410 backhoe.
It was very dangerous to cut the branches and would be the last cutting for that tree in my life.
Jkk

I think its a good thing you were only cutting small branches. If you were to cut some big long heavy sections it would have ended badly. Smaller pieces are safer.

That is much easier as a two-person task,,
I took my nephew around my property about 15 years ago in the bucket of my 584IH,,
He cut EVERY branch we could reach while standing in the bucket,, around my 10 acres.

BPh0tCI.jpg

The bucket of the 584 is eleven feet off the ground at max height.
He was using a Stihl pole saw. Gas powered, I do not think there was an electric, back then.

After the cutting, it took a week to pick up all the brush from that cutting day.

Interestingly, in the past 15 years, only about a dozen branches have needed to be cut, after that first trim.
The new growth is almost all poplar ,, the good thing is my battery pole saw can handle poplar.

I think its a good thing you were only cutting small branches. If you were to cut some big long heavy sections it would have ended badly. Smaller pieces are safer.
Actually, there were 2 quite big branches that needed to be cut piece by piece.
But I really don't want to do it again. It is too dangerous for me.
11.jpg

I have been amazed how large of a branch I can handle with a B&D 20V pole saw,, when cutting piece by piece,,
I believe I have cut an eight inch branch,, which was probably 30-40 feet long.

I never cut from ground level, either I stand in the bucket, or on a trailer.
that helps keep me from being under the branch.

I have been amazed how large of a branch I can handle with a B&D 20V pole saw,, when cutting piece by piece,,
I believe I have cut an eight inch branch,, which was probably 30-40 feet long.

I never cut from ground level, either I stand in the bucket, or on a trailer.
that helps keep me from being under the branch.
Dont cut long stuff from underneath.

I used to have satellite internet and I found that a ghost pine (gray/"digger" pine, "digger" is apparently a pejorative against native americans of the area) branch about 30' up had gradually grown and drooped into the sight path for the dish.

I made a perforated line with a .22 and the branch broke off.

These days I either use my sectional (manual) pole saw - with 4 sections I can cut something about 25' up without being under it - or I use a rope saw.

Hey I have that same model, 1979 year. No pics but I wanted to remove the left over hardware from a bear feeder on the property I bought. It was much higher than the lift so I put a rickety 10' wooden step ladder in the bucket while my son raised me up. It was closed and against the tree while I was working so I felt sorta safe. :innocent:

P9210003.JPG

Hey I have that same model, 1979 year. No pics but I wanted to remove the left over hardware from a bear feeder on the property I bought. It was much higher than the lift so I put a rickety 10' wooden step ladder in the bucket while my son raised me up. It was closed and against the tree while I was working so I felt sorta safe. :innocent:
I have a lot of experience doing so but it's still too dangerous to cut the branches with a tractor bucket even if it was safer than a ladder
I wouldn't do again myself due to my age.

Did you expect anything different from the site suck up, troll and snitch?
Telling them they should be smarter THAN the tree and he can't even put it in a proper sentence. :laugh:
No he lives up to his terrible reputation for sure. If he ever pretends to be decent DO NOT FALL FOR IT!

Jkk

Good morning from KY Jkim, The Digger/Gray pine looks nice. The tree appears to have some type of canker/blight, but as you say, it's over 100 years old. It doesn't seem to be hurting it. I have read articles saying to prune the branches with the cankers and remove from the area to prevent spreading.
Personally, I would have never attempted pruning from a backhoe bucket. lol
My personal choice for a job such as that is a tow-able boom lift. I have used them many times since they first became available. Most rental equipment places have them. Inexpensive to rent and very safe. Self leveling is the part I like. Nothing will operate from the platform until the unit finishes the self leveling cycle. It can be operated from the ground controls or one man can operate it from the platform. At my age, it's the only way to go. Very small and can get to places that the bucket truck can't.
Go here: https://www.jlg.com/en/equipment/towable-boom-lifts/tow-pro
Again, nice job on your pruning project.
Have a great day. OT

╰( ̄ω ̄o)╰( ̄ω ̄o)(★‿★)❤️🚙
Good morning from KY Jkim, The Digger/Gray pine looks nice. The tree appears to have some type of canker/blight, but as you say, it's over 100 years old. It doesn't seem to be hurting it. I have read articles saying to prune the branches with the cankers and remove from the area to prevent spreading.
My personal choice for a job such as that is a tow-able boom lift. I have used them many times since they first became available. Most rental equipment places have them. Inexpensive to rent and very safe. Self leveling is the part I like. Nothing will operate from the platform until the unit finishes the self leveling cycle. It can be operated from the ground controls or one man can operate it from the platform. At my age, it's the only way to go. Very small and can get to places that the bucket truck can't.
Have a great day. OT
The tree is more than 100 years old and has been with me 30 years or more.
It is kind of a symbol of my ranch. That is the reason, I really want to save and make myself look better before I couldn't do it by age.
Also, the reason to upload the video is to let people know how dangerous it was.
and discuss getting better ideas to trim the trees.
Thank you for inputting the opinion.
Jkim
ss.jpg

Have a great day. OT
You probably are in the tree business. I see those at auction but not close yet. The rental place wanted $500 a day, must show or rent safety harness stuff and take a course. That is what the website had on it, at least from memory, 50 vertical ft model.

Pipe scaffolding on a trailer like stated earlier a week or close to pick up and dispose of trimmings. If it is sunny lots of sprouts in a few years.

I was at a major Stihl dealer yesterday,,
They had an extendable manual pole saw,, IIRC, it was 18 feet long.
Most people can reach 6 or 7 feet, so that saw could cut a branch at 24 feet, standing on the ground.

It is a Stihl, the price was $209,, (nothing "STIHL" is cheap!!! )

A manual saw cuts a pretty big branch,, pretty quick.

No engine pole saw comes close to this height, except some of the DIY's on YouTube.
Those saws on YouTube scare me,,

You probably are in the tree business. I see those at auction but not close yet. The rental place wanted $500 a day, must show or rent safety harness stuff and take a course. That is what the website had on it, at least from memory, 50 vertical ft model.

Pipe scaffolding on a trailer like stated earlier a week or close to pick up and dispose of trimmings. If it is sunny lots of sprouts in a few years.
Not in the tree business Franny, I guess the rental cost depends on your area. Here, they rent for much less. They have 35' and 50' reach here. I've used the 50 footer twice and it gets a little hairy up there on that little thing but still safe. Rented the 35 footer many times. Didn't need the height.
The ones I have rented came with a safety harness and they show you the operation of the unit and you must be able to duplicate what they show you before you can tow it off the lot. That's just for the first time.
https://artsrental.com/collections/aerial-lifts/products/towable-bucket-lift-50-height

I was at a major Stihl dealer yesterday,,
They had an extendable manual pole saw,, IIRC, it was 18 feet long.
Most people can reach 6 or 7 feet, so that saw could cut a branch at 24 feet, standing on the ground.

It is a Stihl, the price was $209,, (nothing "STIHL" is cheap!!! )

A manual saw cuts a pretty big branch,, pretty quick.

No engine pole saw comes close to this height, except some of the DIY's on YouTube.
Those saws on YouTube scare me,,
Ha Ha! It takes a young buck built like man mountain bean to use one of those. Those days are gone forever for me. lmao

Latest posts

Back