The MS200T alternative?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks -- I'll try that.

I always try to support the timber industry -- I am printing out the 118 pg. tech manual (as opposed to the worthless one you get with the saw) right now. It seems there is either a single or multi-part fuel venting system in the MS200T -- who knew?! Rather than go back and forth from my office to shop (or take the saw apart on the desk over the keyboard) I now am the proud owner of the tech manual for the exploded diagram and instruction page in question! :D

Maybe if I break a leg, I'll have the down time to learn to tear all of my own saws apart.

Tearing them apart might go well, however putting them back in primo working order is a whole other kettle of fish. BTW, hope you don't break a leg. :msp_wink:

FWIW, I checked out a 355t in Baltimore and all I can say is it felt cheap. Like it would break easy. The new husky top handle felt better but not as good as the 201 as far as just holding them. But I havnt actually ran any of them so...... Personally, I would prolly take my chances with the 201. I do know that I def grin every time I think about that brand spankin new 200t i have in the garage:msp_smile:

FWIW, I checked out a 355t in Baltimore and all I can say is it felt cheap. Like it would break easy. The new husky top handle felt better but not as good as the 201 as far as just holding them. But I havnt actually ran any of them so...... Personally, I would prolly take my chances with the 201. I do know that I def grin every time I think about that brand spankin new 200t i have in the garage:msp_smile:

Got at least 14, 200T's everyday, only use synthetic mix, got one 192T, (he hates it), and one CS-355T (he loves it).
Jeff

Last edited:
Ran and still run 192T. Good little saw when you keep the chain sharp. I like the 200 for removal work and having run the 201 like it as well. I am looking forward to the T540xp with great interest to see how it compares. My buddy likes his Echo tophandle but I was not as impressed.....

Been running my CS341 all year, very little complaints, in fact when we pulled the limiters out of the throttle body in July, it turned into an entirely new machine.

I think the outboard chain adjuster would only be a problem if you're a Neanderthal, or a Eukman. If you take care of your tools, you're tools will take care of you.

What about this little cutey?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=TK+TCS+3401+14&catID=

Jeff, glad to hear your echo is working out for ya.

I got mine and I am not happy. It runs great and cuts like a champ until you run it for about a half hour and it starts running like a dog, can't get it started and it dies in the cut.

I gotta take it to the dealer to have it checked out but is an hour away.

Otherwise, it seems like a great saw. Feels good in the hand and it really cuts great when it's running good.... hopefully I can get these kinks worked out without to much headache.

I got mine and I am not happy. It runs great and cuts like a champ until you run it for about a half hour and it starts running like a dog, can't get it started and it dies in the cut.

Otherwise, it seems like a great saw. Feels good in the hand and it really cuts great when it's running good.... hopefully I can get these kinks worked out without to much headache.

Gas tank vent plugged mebbe?

Hope it works out for you, 1 year warranty is good.
No problems here, I got 2 more and other than the throttle on one would still rev when you let go. I took it in and got it back in 15 minutes, it was an adjustment that was supposed to be done before the saw was sold. Sorry your dealer is 1 hour away,,I cannot relate to you guys that think that is far. Different for me, I think 3 hours is to far!,,lol! Sometimes it takes an hour to go to San Diego and that is less than 30 miles, Anyway, the guys really like the saw.
Jeff

338 338 338. I will never EVER EVER buy a new stihl trim saw for the price their asking. Wait tell someone else pays top dollar, then buy it from them for cheap. Thats the only way to own 1. Its a good saw. BUT BY NO MEANS worth that price. They think they have the industry by the balls. The ergonomics of the handle is redicules on it as well. My modified 338 puts the boots to a 200t. Its on its 3rd year. Ive ran my bosses Echos and if you keep them clean and sharp as a razor their not bad. I have no idea what "tree pig" is talking about with the chain adjuster my boss has run them forever and had no problems. keep em clean. Take any other saw, port it and run amsoil 100 to 1 and call it good.

Keep in my boss in oregon with the echos is no dummy. He's a master tech small engine mechanic and owns roughly 150 saws. Hes gone through maybe 20 stihl ms200 t's. 5 years ago he said he's done with them but still buys them for the climbers who insist on running them. He does still run exclusively stihl for everything other then trim. 361,440,660,880.

one more thing.....the air intake on the echos is not right. It cant be run in the rain tell you put a piece of plastic in place to stop the water from entering the carb.:clap::dizzy::clap: jeff you desert dog you wont have to worry

What I did is..

Gas tank vent plugged mebbe?

(after cat' mod)
I just relocated the fuel tank breather's location for good!!

Removed the recoil starter cover , and the flywheel (tapping gently) , Pulled the poor lil' breather from the hole it was buried in AND the looooooong breather hose ..

I sealed the hole in the wall where the breather hose went through, between the flywheel space and the carb compartment with a piece of matching hose and inserted a matching screw to press the rubber to the hole.

cut a little piece fuel hose , similar in size to the one I pulled out - just slightly tougher in that case , and reinstalled the breather -- just that now it sits right there - next to the carburetor, so I can access it whenever I open the air filter cover!

Anyone here has done this ?

I have yet to find anyone to have done this.. :/

Jo

PS
I can take a photo..
say?

Imho..

Have you tried a 338xpt?? Lighter and than a 200t and more torque. With exhaust mods and porting it out cuts all of my 200t's.

after dealing with both 338XPT and MS-200T , The Husky is hell to rebuild and/or fix , and also to refuel. another lil example: intake manifold is weak spot on both while it's worse on the XPT, and harder to find - and way more expensive.. just another sign for which one is more popular and therefore more parts to find out there..

Ill stick with the stihl. Ive had all the husky top handles,very unreliable, tempermental and a pain to work on. The echos are ok but lack power and comfort. I still have an 020 that gets used in the rotation. Worth the extra money.

Ill stick with the stihl. Ive had all the husky top handles,very unreliable, tempermental and a pain to work on. The echos are ok but lack power and comfort. I still have an 020 that gets used in the rotation. Worth the extra money.

I know the older husqy's were #### to work on, but as far as reliability we have had a far better experience with husqy than with Stihl. I'm not brand Loyal by any means, I just buy what works. I'm am tempted however to give the new Tanaka Top handle a go!! anyone here had any experience with them??

Back