The MS200T alternative?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just never buy used. never.

I know the older husqy's were #### to work on, but as far as reliability we have had a far better experience with husqy than with Stihl. I'm not brand Loyal by any means, I just buy what works. I'm am tempted however to give the new Tanaka Top handle a go!! anyone here had any experience with them??

Damn! I wrote a really good comment - and an accidental refresh has erased all of it! (the uploads remain though..)

What can I so to recover it ??

I know it saves draft like email composing..

say?

hey, I know exactly what you mean. but..

I'm still trying to speak reason. I hoped you could see it. I'm here because I love chainsaws, love working with them - and I'd rather have those that make it as much as joyful as can be (pardon my English, 2nd language..)

What I wrote about the top handle Tanaka -and can't restore as well as it came out the 1st time- is about something like this:

I had the TCS-2800, which is a super-lightweight (might even say featherweight!) 31cc (?) chainsaw.
Don't know about the newer one, though I had a short experience with a newer 34-35cc Hitachi/Tanaka.

If you see a used one - don't take it.

If you wish to have your own and personal featherweight little 10"-12" machine to have fun with since you have some extra cash - I'd say try the 31cc brand spankin' new. Get away from used Tanakas.

If something fails, and you don't have a dealer to take care of it - bummer.
It's not like a highly proven model like the more popular top-handled ones.. think that over.

'Less' significant issues:
Vibration absorption - not very refined, though ok for less frequent use.. pay attention to the lower front mount in those that have it - calibrate if needed so the spring has enough play between the stoppers/mounts.
Fuel tank breather - a bit pain to get there - pull out and clean / replace. I needed that ASAP so I had to improvise -cut the nipple of an ECHO vent - and shoved it in there..

Just my experience and opinion with and about it.

Feel free to ask or comment..

Jo.

Last edited:
So much ranting and raving over all these saws! !!! and exclamation points too! uhggg! I had to join the fun and let yall know what I did was bought 2 - 200t's problems solved! I have a 020T and now 2 - 200t's... think Im all set. None other will do. as they keep trying but keep failing, even Stihl has a hard time making something different and try to match up to the legendary saw as we know it. I hear alot of talk talk talk from Stihl , Husky and Echo but still no deliver...yet. yea im an optimist! but dont take my right hand 020 from me and expect me to be happy. :msp_sneaky:

try..

So much ranting and raving over all these saws! !!! and exclamation points too! uhggg! I had to join the fun and let yall know what I did was bought 2 - 200t's problems solved! I have a 020T and now 2 - 200t's... think Im all set. None other will do. as they keep trying but keep failing, even Stihl has a hard time making something different and try to match up to the legendary saw as we know it. I hear alot of talk talk talk from Stihl , Husky and Echo but still no deliver...yet. yea im an optimist! but dont take my right hand 020 from me and expect me to be happy. :msp_sneaky:

I rebuilt three 200T's and another 020T from scrap..
Had a hard time learning their soft spots , and here I am.. living in relative peace with'em.

try thoroughly cleaning them this time. compressed air and even using a little home steamer to get the rough junk out of it (but not too close, it could be too warm) -- with closed choke!!

Aside from carb issues, they could have either:

- Clogged/damaged fuel tank breather
- punctured intake boot (little hole or a tear)
- other punctured/cracked fuel hose
- Air leak from the case (try tightening the case screws with the T27 next time you dis-assemble it for thorough treatment)

I could try go on about it, but I preferred putting the finger on the ones that are most likely..

Jo.

Watched a 355 blaze through a job, the other day. Belonged to a subbed-out 2nd climber I was using. Super impressed to the point that I'm popping for one, soon.

maybe next time shoot a video, even with some cellphone/smartphone.. don't mind the quality :)

Will do.

The guy was slicing through 6" Live Oak limbs like they were sticks of butter, no exaggeration. (Live Oak is the heaviest, most dense, wood around here, and most of the US, from what I remember.)

I don't honestly know what's wrong with Stihl, these days. Yeah, I'm one who always ran 192's, but the reason for never popping for 200's was simple: The 192's did what I needed them to do---until the 192 TC came along, and I didn't want to spend an extra three hundred bucks, if I didn't have to. Even after a five hour break-in with the 192 TC, babying the heck out of it, I still was getting bogged down in ridiculously small cuts, even with new chains. When you're having to pull out of 4" wood to rev back up, at 60', there is a greater chance of injuries and line cutting. Definitely not cool.

To be fair, I asked the guy with the 355 how he liked it compared to his 201. He said he preferred the 355 because he found it to be more aggressive. I may get one, today. If I do, I'll report back, in here. Stay tuned.

Sure thing!

Will do.

The guy was slicing through 6" Live Oak limbs like they were sticks of butter, no exaggeration. (Live Oak is the heaviest, most dense, wood around here, and most of the US, from what I remember.)

I don't honestly know what's wrong with Stihl, these days. Yeah, I'm one who always ran 192's, but the reason for never popping for 200's was simple: The 192's did what I needed them to do---until the 192 TC came along, and I didn't want to spend an extra three hundred bucks, if I didn't have to. Even after a five hour break-in with the 192 TC, babying the heck out of it, I still was getting bogged down in ridiculously small cuts, even with new chains. When you're having to pull out of 4" wood to rev back up, at 60', there is a greater chance of injuries and line cutting. Definitely not cool.

To be fair, I asked the guy with the 355 how he liked it compared to his 201. He said he preferred the 355 because he found it to be more aggressive. I may get one, today. If I do, I'll report back, in here. Stay tuned.

And feel free to take some snapshots :)
Already asked videos :D

Jo.

P.S.
Did you ever try to open up the mufflers and pop the carb limiters off on the newer 192's?

an actual review

I've always used the ms200t's. I heard all the complaints about the 201 and saw an advertisement for the new echo. The closest echo dealer to me called his rep and asked him to bring one out for me to try. I brought some logs and my ms200t and used them both, alternating cuts between the two.
Before I go on, let me tell you that all of my 8 saws are Stihls.
The echo cut a little faster probably because the chain was brand new. Power-wise, I found there to be no difference.
The echo has a great handle that fits like a glove with a little pommel that you can change according to hand size.
Yes, the gas and oil lids are smaller than the stihl. The echo's screw on caps will surely not break like the ms200t's though. I'm certain everyone has had the misfortune of having the ms200t's caps break.
I have 2 ms200t's and the echo in my tool box and I always grab the echo before I climb into the bucket. Same power, same weight, same capacities, same dimensions but, that handle just makes up my mind every time I have to make the choice.
Bottom line: I bought a saw as good as an ms200t for the introductory price of $400.
Note: The echo rep brought the entire line of echo saws for me to try out. Needless to say, I tried them all. The echo cs335t was the only one That I liked. The rest seemed cheap and unrefined to me. It was like they put all of their efforts into the 335t and it paid off.
So, in closing, to cover my butt I will say this: if it craps out on me in a couple months, I will only be out $400($200 less than the helmet I wear) and that's only an hour and 15 minutes work.
I hope you found my review both useful and entertaining. Remember guys, it's a dangerous profession-charge accordingly.
Gerasimek

I've always used the ms200t's. I heard all the complaints about the 201 and saw an advertisement for the new echo. The closest echo dealer to me called his rep and asked him to bring one out for me to try. I brought some logs and my ms200t and used them both, alternating cuts between the two.

Gerasimek

Im sure you meant 355t, thanks for the evaluation.

So today one of my other climbers threw the chain on the 201 so I sent him up my echo then I used the 201.... I was amazed at how much I missed that echo and I was swearing at the damn 201.

When we got down I asked him "how'd you like that echo" He says "well I definitely wasn't mad at it"

Hey Jeff, Glad to hear the feedback on the Echo's Is positive. I have one top handle at the moment Stihl MS 192tc. I have been pushing it to its limits really. Are the 355t's modded are they working that well out of the box? If so could be my next saw. Of course the palm rest is a must: big grin! I like new :)

Thanks, Mark

Latest posts

Back