The never ending Stihl 064 nightmare.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike0210

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been through and studied thread upon thread about the flywheel/coil issues that come with owning an 064 because I just got one given to me about a week ago that doesn't have any spark. I looked it over at my shop and called the Owner to inform him that it doesn't have any spark. He said he'd just replaced the coil (1300 universal unlimited coil) and that he was done with that saw. He'd pick up his bar and chain, but the saw was mine if I wanted it. So, after reading through a lot of great information I still have one question.
Can I put an 066/660 flywheel & 2 screw mounted coil on my 064 if I also use the 066/660 starter assembly to make up for the wider flywheel? I am interested in this route because I have the single key 1204 flywheel and the oem parts needed to wake up from this nightmare are not turning up. I hope someone sees this and can help me with a solid answer.

064 and 066 have same case and crank. I’d think as long as the flywheel matches the coil you should be golden. I could be wrong. I’m currently building an 066 from a box of parts that includes 064 parts so I’m tagging along for the experts on these saws

Thanks Jassent. I think I'll go ahead and order the flywheel and coil Friday and update this post when I get the parts and find out if it works or not. I've seen a couple threads where a couple guys thought an 066 set up with the 066 starter (pulley mainly cause the starter cup is wider on the 066 flywheel) would work. But, I cannot find those threads for the life of me now.
L34, thank you for sharing the pics and what you did on your saw. I'm pretty sure I've come across those pics on another thread as well from a few years ago (I've read through a ton over the past week), but they may have been from another guy. I have the 064 case with the 3 mount like the one in your pics. I figure that if the parts don't work I'll return them and if I need to, I'll follow suit and make a bracket. I have to say that I do love challenges when it comes to chainsaws and this is my biggest one yet. Will update asap.

Thanks Jassent. I think I'll go ahead and order the flywheel and coil Friday and update this post when I get the parts and find out if it works or not. I've seen a couple threads where a couple guys thought an 066 set up with the 066 starter (pulley mainly cause the starter cup is wider on the 066 flywheel) would work. But, I cannot find those threads for the life of me now.
L34, thank you for sharing the pics and what you did on your saw. I'm pretty sure I've come across those pics on another thread as well from a few years ago (I've read through a ton over the past week), but they may have been from another guy. I have the 064 case with the 3 mount like the one in your pics. I figure that if the parts don't work I'll return them and if I need to, I'll follow suit and make a bracket. I have to say that I do love challenges when it comes to chainsaws and this is my biggest one yet. Will update asap.
That one should have the 1201 Bosch flywheel

Latest posts

Back