The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bucked up Firewood for the bosses shop for the past 2 days. Sometimes I get almost a full tank of fuel before a chain is too dull to grind its way thru even a rotten log. I'm glad he has a Silvey 510 round grinder. I take 4 sharp chains out to the log pile and when they are all dull I go grind them. . It's dirt guys wood. They don't have any idea how bad a half bucket of gravel is mixed in to a dump truck load of Firewood logs. .only went thru 8 chains today. But no one bugs me. And it pays the same, . Got about 4 or 5 cord bucked up today .. Gotta go do a pre work meeting with the line Superintendant tomorrow on another phase of r.o.w.cutting.

I quess if you are gonna burn up chain's.
nothing better than a grinder!
Jeff

It's cheaper than files. A rocked chain sometimes destroys a file in 2or3 teeth. Been going thru the old chains the previous guy destroyed .. I think he was in the habit of fileing 1 side. Didn't understand or care about chains and bars. Didn't seem to care about much other than being young and bull headed.

UnderCutter claims he cant find a "climber" now

Sneak over there and get some pic's.
Jeff

Well it looks like the guy who bid $900.00 is telling the customer he can't find a climber now... Hmmmm that's strange because last time I saw them working he himself was the "climber".. anyhow the customer called me this morning wanting me to come out with a crane and remove the hazards....soooo looks like that's what I will be doing...:rock:.... This means a great deal to me because the guy who can't find a "climber" now has a son who used to work for me and stole about 5grand worth of equipment from me. He apparently picked up a "bad habit" and stopped showing up for work so I let him go. A week later one of my trailers with a ms441, br500, and a new Toro zero turn mower was missing.. he was the only one who knew where I parked it and had keys to everything because he was my leadman. He then got busted at the lovely pawn shop Soo now he's awaiting court... Sorry thieving ass!! His folks advertise all over C.L. about 30+ posts a day.. and I'm not joking.. they been hacking for about 20yrs. now.. Haha I knew there was no way he could do it without a crane.. had me worried there for a minute that his no skill having ass was capable of doing something that I "thought" wasn't possible.. You guys wouldn't believe how excited I am about this.. I'll post pics later today and have a video of the removal as soon as I get it done!

Pic's

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

YIKES!!:msp_scared:

Thats without question what I would call a crane job. No easy chance for climbing and cutting IMO. I hope you priced it big considering the homeowners ignorance over the years. Never should have got that bad.

Good luck!:clap:

YIKES!!:msp_scared:

Thats without question what I would call a crane job. No easy chance for climbing and cutting IMO. I hope you priced it big considering the homeowners ignorance over the years. Never should have got that bad.

Good luck!:clap:

That's what I was thinking, HO said he never really though about it being a hazard. He also said he couldn't believe he let it get that bad.... I'll have plenty of footage to post up when done..

Going to look at a big silver maple that sounds about like what is pictured above, minus the power lines. I hope it's not too sticky...

On another note, my girlfriend wants to learn to climb, more for fun than work. She is an excellent rock climber and very good with ropes and comfortable at heights, she just wants to "branch" out, no pun intended. She has also expressed interest in running a saw. I like this girl:)

Climbing it isn't the problem. It's the additional weight of a person that I would be afraid of initially and then as I cut it apart, branch by branch, roping it down by way of the leaning tree, I wonder how much more stress the trunk can take before it snaps. (the straw that finally broke the camels back theory) After the first few branches came off and the outstretched weight and therefore the stress was off the trunk, the rest is do-able.

Ya need a Little Person with a hand saw to squirrel around in the top of it. Take 500 to 1,000 lbs out of it ..

Perhaps you could rig a standing tight line with some 3/4" or 1" bull rope from the two live stems and use it to lower the dead stuff down .. Just an idea from looking at the pics. ??

Perhaps with a trolly block .

Last edited:
so would YOU be able to climb it if you couldn't reach with a crane? I really wish I'd gotten pics of the one we did last week, it was bogus to say the least

I coukd, but I'm just not going to test my luck when the customer is ready to pay for the crane and not too mention it would take a lot longer to dismantle it piece by piece. It's just not the way I'm going to do it..and it makes more sense to crane it out, too much #### under the tree that can't be damaged. So roping it would mean cutting 200 small pieces with a tag line on each one to get it around all the plants, flower beds,powerlines,porch,roof,etc.....Bust out the crane and land all the pics in one spot to be processed and eliminate groundies dragging all the brush to the front... Work smarter not harder! Job is scheduled for Monday morning.

I got some pics from last Saturdays Sitka Spruce take down.
August2012022.jpg
just starting up.
August2012010.jpg
. . This is the tree. I'm under my orange tin lid. Under the tree. Made it past the roof line.
August2012053.jpg
. Hikein right along ..
August2012072.jpg
. .here I am at the top. I put a pulling line in the top came down a few feet and topped it. Took 6-12' chunks out.
IMG_20120818_121357.jpg
. This is the stob.
IMG_20120818_122608.jpg

Here it is on the ground.

Looks fun and straight forward. I like jobs like those. I'm stuck in sketchy cottonwood hell for the time being, over decks and fire pits, with poor access. I'd love to have a job like that one ^. I suppose I'm building character, or something...

Latest posts

Back