The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trimmed a few trees...

24 beat up ash that keep dropping branches, owner just bought the place & was not happy with doing yard work. A willow, a white pine, took down a nasty little maple too. Bucket truck and a groundy humpin limbs. Gonna chip all the trimmings and a bunch of brush the previous owners left behind. Nothing like being a lazy stumper!

Semper Fidelis and Good Luck!

BOB

Chipped and cleaned up...

All the ash tree, willow, pine, bush piles, etc. from the Tuesday trim. The homeowner let us chip on site on a corner of his property. I guess 10 yards of chips. Raked all the twigs and branches and got into 5 brush piles from the previous owners. Took 2 of us 12 hrs. The raking sucked.

Semper Fidelis and Good Luck!

BOB

. Klum and side trimmed 1 grouse ladder Sitka spruce and 3 cottonwoods today. Used my Hitch Hiker today. Now that I know how to rig it it works great. Very smooth and secure on the descent. Advances well going up. . I'm using it Drt at this point. All the trees I'm working in are so limby that setting a tip is most of the time a semi futile time consumer. But sometimes I can.

Is that Haysville?

No, McPherson. Was a X'd tree that the owner was told it would be October till something could be done..I think with the rain we have had last weekend, what was left of the roots and dirt finally let go...I guess its been laying like that for a week and X'd for 6 months from what i was told.

Next tree to fall will be the other elm in the back ground, Has a spot where like a limb came off at one time and never healed right so its rotting out about 5 feet form the ground.

Last edited:
Climbed 2 maples for a vista prune then made up lots of cables for the bucket operator and chipped up his mess. Got home and my new spikes were there. Spiked the declining ash in my woods line that I intend to remove shortly.

Last edited:
Took down 3 cottonwoods. Had to thread the needle with 1 top between a building and the power line. Thank God the top landed so perfectly on the lay I had for it it could have drove a stake. I actually used a bit of a kerf dutchman to give my ground guy some help with it coming around.
3 rd tree I had to park one of its tops in a nearby tree while it sat on the Humbolt face so I could under Buck it to get it to spear down. The other top I had a clear shot to pull it. 180° its lean. . Had a good day. Blocked them all down .

7.3; what spurs did u get?

Until I can figure out how to loose 50 lbs, the Geko's are not for me. . After lunch on Friday when I put my Klien's back on I found I had b.pulled a rivet on my pads. . I had thot I could make it a week without ordering any gear. Nope. So I called WesSpur and ordered a set of Big Buck pads. And a line mug for my saddle and a short throw line. Those L pads have made me a lot of money for what I had invested but time for an up grade.

Until I can figure out how to loose 50 lbs, the Geko's are not for me. . After lunch on Friday when I put my Klien's back on I found I had b.pulled a rivet on my pads. . I had thot I could make it a week without ordering any gear. Nope. So I called WesSpur and ordered a set of Big Buck pads. And a line mug for my saddle and a short throw line. Those L pads have made me a lot of money for what I had invested but time for an up grade.

Jenny Craig!,,,,LOL!
Jeff:msp_biggrin:

I'm only 170 no gear on me so Geckos are fine in my case.

Spent this morning running ropes for one of the climbers from work. Worked on a bunch of white oaks. Flopped one, rigged one down over a pool, rigged a codominant down over the driveway, and pruned up another.

Did side trimming along the power lines this week. . I'm really liking the Big Shot more and more. As I am not going real high and all there is is Sitka Spruce and cottonwood, both of which are sticky barked the 20 oz throw weight comes in handy. Sometimes. I sure do like the Samurai Ichiban. . Its nice to be bombing limbs out of a tree and not need ear plugs. Itried a Tanaka 33 this week. I like it better than the 192 Stihl.

Last edited:
At this point, Tramps swung all the way from spurs and a buckstrap to fifty pounds of gear just on his saddle.:msp_w00t:

Actually I have to make myself only take up what I need. And a few extras like a prussic e2e a web sling and an 8 . Plus a couple spare biners.
I did put spenders on my saddle tho. :msp_rolleyes:

I hear ya. I'm glad I decided to kind of take this summer off. The last 4-5 years of full time climbing really beat me up. I had tendonitis in my elbows so bad I couldn't hardly lift a beer. The ole bodie's finally getting healed up to the point climbing's fun again, plus it's really given me a chance to slow down and work on my technique, which of course has actually sped things up, lol. I think if most business owners would actually push their climbers less, and let them climb without feeling like they're rushed all the time, they might be surprised at how the overall production actually speeds up. There is nothing worse than being up in a tree and feeling rushed. Jeff

Ya, my boss is really good that way. He doesn't rush me. He does other things that irritate me but all in all he's a good boss. Course a guy could always use more money and all the fancy toys/ tools in the catalog but I have a pretty good holt goin here

My new brain teaser is finding the easiest way to go up a tree short of a Wraptor.
Some of these ways like hip thrust are just an easy way to get tired. I have a CMI foot ascender on the way and I got a Petzl basic yesterday. I'm hoping to splice up a knee ascender this weekend. I ordered a Rock Nano swivel and some rings for my bridge. . NH raised a probably valid point about clipping 2 biners together for my HH attaching to my saddle. I think I will end up with a Rook on my bridge but that's 90$ with shipping.
Heck. You guys may see a pic of me up a tree without spurs on yet. :msp_ohmy:

Back