The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friday I took down this cottonwood. Used the ZoonBoom with the man basket and the pole saw to get the limbs out of it and take down the multiple tops. . Plus my new 20 oz throw bag and DynaGlide and the 9' telescoping reach extender. Man that's a great tool. I put a pulling line in 2 of the tops. Then I blocked it down with my little 2150 Jred with the 24" 3/8 50 ga. Bar and full skip chain. . It is really a nice combo.

I ordered more gear from WesSpur again. Latley it seems they get a bunch of my $ every Friday.
Finally ordered a BigShot with Marvin poles. . More lighter throw bags, 12+16 oz. More splicing gear. A Hitch Hiker.
And last but not least a Kask Super Plasma. In good old Alaska Jack yellow. So that in my pics it will be easy to tell its me. :msp_unsure:
The fat guy up the tree with the yellow hat on. . I guess its a helmet tho isn't it.

I did side trimming most of the week along the HV lines. You arbs will go ballistic about this. But I was in the spurs. Can't kill these Cottonwoods anyway. I'm gonna try drt rads on my new 7/16 Samson Static Kern.
I'm not too sure how successful it will be as these big cottonwoods have lots of snow broke limbs that run down the tree plus Lots of new small limbs. And the Ditka spruce are grouse ladders. But, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Since its no biggy if the trees die. ( they're all gonna die some day. . And, I am a Tree Killer.

Last edited:
Hes got to lose those spikes tho :msp_wink:
Tramp how does those Jonsred's run? Really interested in those saws.

Hes got to lose those spikes tho :msp_wink:
Tramp how does those Jonsred's run? Really interested in those saws.[/
QUOTE]

It is a good performing 50 CC saw. It will cut the same as a 026/260 Stihl. . It doesn't turn up quite as fast as a 346 Husky but it nice and comfortable. . The 24" bar is not so I can cut 24" wood constantly. But more for the reach and convinence.
The boss has all the 460 Huskies set up with 24" 3/8 , 50 . Floating rims.
I like this one because it is a pre bulb pump 2 barrel Carb saw. . . Very comfortable in the hands. Spring mounts. Its been totally reliable. I had a 353 Husky that wasn't nearly as good a saw. The only thing it does is sometimes it loosens its spark plug.

Not a great pic. But it does show my nice shiny new Kask Super Plasma
I put in my order with WesSpur Friday at lunch time and it was logged in to the Valdez post office before 8 this morning. I used a tramp bushler modified form of srt climbing today.
Man. I wish I had gotten a Big Shot a looooong time ago.
I didn't use the Hitch Hiker today because I neglected to order a foot ascender. I'll have to remedy that on Friday. And because when I set it up on my 7/16 Static and tried it out it didn't grab a couple times. ?????????? .

Last edited:
Crew of 4 to remove some large saplings, a rotten oak butt log that was left standing, remove a large ash, raise and dead wood assorted property items, and shape two blue spruces.

Then go to the hydraulic shop to get a couple hoses made up for the Swinger.

Fun fun for everyone!

What's a high banker?

What's this? Someone from Alaska who doesn't know what a highbanker is????

This is a highbanker, this one isn't mine, and that's not me, but they all work basically the same way. You shovel material(dirt, preferably dirt that has some gold in it) into the top of the hopper and it gets washed down through the sluice box, the lighter dirt and rocks get washed out the end, and the gold gets trapped in the sluice box(along with a lot of black sand). I thought all you Alaskan guys knew this stuff already.

View attachment 306828

My neighbor in Glennallen is placer mining about 6 miles from downtown Valdez. . He's a real sharp guy and he wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't money in it.

Might wanna start panning that doormat every night.:biggrin:

I'm gonna have to ask you boys to leave the noob forum. Guys who can handle that nasty blowdown/export patch or the bastrop fire aftermath need to leave noobish stuff to real noobs:biggrin::cheers:

Back