The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't run the husky pole pruner yet, and I'm in the market. I'll be interested to hear how ya like it. Problem I've always had with the stihls are how easy the extension pole can bend. Give us a report if you would, tramp. Your'e gonna cuss that sucker in the tree, but it will save a lot of climbing. From what I saw on the video, looks like you should be able to reach out and make all your cuts from the stem. Jeff

My partner in Sitka in the 90 s had an Echo. He had 4 sections for it. He did ALOT of work with it. Seldom did we have all 4 on it. It worked good but was a pain having to owed an oil bottle with us and keep dumping oil on the bar and chain.

I have an adjustable extension echo that I love.....I can't picture having 3 or four sections though I think it would be running me instead of the other way around.:laugh:

Today I am draining ~ 3 gallons of hydrostatic fluid from my tractor and replacing it.....I also showed a wood worker some spalted Maple I have and am generally drying, sorting, sharpening, and PM-ing my gear.

Today I dealt with a storm damaged hanger....Poplar ~18" diam x 60' tall wedged into a pine and beech. Got a rope up nice and high and put some "english" on it with my truck (a wee tacoma 4x4)....Got it down accross the HO's driveway as planned , and then cleared the drive.....I was about 1/2 through when the weather became a deluge of a rain...Good thing I organized and dried everything out yesterday...:dizzy:At least I only have a throwline and one rigging rope to dry....I also have an insulated garage bay with a wood boiler that I burn year round to make domestic hot water (+ heat in the Winter) so in about an hour that room will be a nice dry 90 plus degrees.....Thats where I dry my gear....

Keep us posted on that hollow monster TRAMP!

Boss got me a new lid today...Kask w/3m hearing pro! Some Pfanner eye pro, and a new Yale 1/2" flip line! Must be Christmas...or my B-day!!!

I should of got a raise... But this will tide me over! :msp_tongue:

Was using a Petzl, Kask feels amazing!!!

Landed a good gig today. Guy called up and said he's got dirt being delivered sat and needs alot of trees cleared out tomorrow and is willing to pay generously so I said I'd be right there! Turns out he's a good friend of my wife's family. Hes a real estate developer and bought two properties that are a few acres a piece. The job for tomorrow is to clear out a section along an access drive so he can build a mound for privacy. Mostly saplings the biggest trees being 8-10" and he's gonna clean up with his machines. I thought ok easy job I'm in! Then he adds that he needs the rest of the property managed; big oaks he needs pruned, some black walnuts, cotton woods and others he wants taken down, and other small stuff removed! Tomorrow is a rush job but the others aren't and if all goes well he's working on buying the other surrounding properties as well.

Its the first job I've landed with some continuous work like this but I'm happy as hell right now and like I said he's a good friend and genuine guy so I'm actually happy to help him out as he helped us out a few years back.

Yea I could get used to this! Took 10 hours, 3 guys and a bobcat but we got it done! He walked me thru the property and started pointing out trees he wants removed. I got 13 black walnut, 7 spruce and 1 cherry. He stopped there and told me to let him know when they're done cause he has more! I may have to upgrade on some gear, this is great!

I ordered some gear from WesSpur today. I'm going to switch my Cougar over to a Liger bridge. I like the saddle. But then its about the only one this bouy with legs fits in that has the fliplines Ds in the right place and that has "fixed position " Ds to boot. . The 2 big things I don't like about it are minor. I wish they had more soft side Velcro . to take up the slack on the leg strap tails. And I would like the positioning Ds to be an inch or 2 forward.
I got SMC mini Riggin plates and Samson Bigfoot for the bridge. . The Rock swivel biner will have to wait for next week .
Ordered an Ice Tail spliced eye prussic and 100' of Tenex 3/8 . . A few Rock biners . A Samurai Heavy Duty 13" and a telescoping line grabber. And a CMI Micro pulley

Last edited:
I tried the liger and ended up just tying my own bridge to the rings. I ordered new Bigfoot and gaffs from them but they messed up the order so I gotta wait now. I did pick up some op e2e so I can start working on some advanced hitches so I'm excited to try thàt out tomorrow. Ill be looking for some rigging stuff as well and maybe an upgrade on a saw.

The leg straps is an easy fix. Tape the tail of the strap and tape about two inches where it comes out of the buckle, tape it to the leg strap and then run it back over and around to the Velcro and u just made it 4 inches shorter by doing that.

I'm slowly building up my gear. I need to get a bunch of lowering riggin. And more climbing rope and what not.
Want a Hitch Hiker and a CMI foot ascender.
Really there's no end to it all. :msp_ohmy:

See if you can try a foot ascender first. I think they are for the bigger guys mainly, seems for the smaller guys....they just get in the way.

Tied up a bunch of arbor vitaes that were bent over by a heavy snow load this winter. Full day of installing duck bills, arbor tie, and praying that the fence would hold up to the little bit of side load I was putting on it by tying to it.

I didn't think they looked any too great when we were done but the foreman said I'd already spent too much time on them and the customer said he was happy with them. I guess that's all that matters? :msp_unsure:

Took down a storm damaged ash and hauled it away. 2 loads. Gonna dump the second load in the morning and then grind the stump.

BOB

See if you can try a foot ascender first. I think they are for the bigger guys mainly, seems for the smaller guys....they just get in the way.

I'll have to buy one to try one out.

I used a split tail with a Blake's hitch this afternoon. I really liked how it moved on the line when unloaded and how well it grabbed when loaded. . I made it from a piece of Samson Bigfoot. I must not have something quite adjusted right with my minder pulley as I couldn't get things all the way tight when I gave a big yank on the running end of the line. It.advanced the hitch fine, just didn't bring it up tight.

I'll have to buy one to try one out.

I used a split tail with a Blake's hitch this afternoon. I really liked how it moved on the line when unloaded and how well it grabbed when loaded. . I made it from a piece of Samson Bigfoot. I must not have something quite adjusted right with my minder pulley as I couldn't get things all the way tight when I gave a big yank on the running end of the line. It.advanced the hitch fine, just didn't bring it up tight.

You'll always have a little setback. VT's still the way to go.

Back