The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry Carbie, I'm sure a clue will fly by your head someday, and you might even catch it. Ya know those double rope ascenders that you saw? And a prussic will also grip a double rope, until you get too close to the tip.

And I wanna see the video of you barehanding up a rope. Just 20 feet will be plenty. And don't burn your hands coming down.

I've done it a few times Ddrt. Did once in junior high too on a single rope, all the way up to the I beam in the gym. It was a big fat rope though.

It would be a fast way to climb, if you had someone on the ground pulling the slack for ya. They'd have to keep the rope nice and tight though.

The Horror!

This is not about what i did today it happend wednesday. My mom wanted some dead limbs removed from a neighbors tree she was tired of looking at it from her deck. I walked to the corner of the yard got a good look at it figured it couldnt b that hard only 25ft high at the most. Come back a couple days later get up the ladder and i realize there is a problem the bark is rotting just falls off and there is no place to tie in. There was a wind storm a couple years ago and it must have ripped half this tree straight off. Every piece of green was sucker growth tons of it hard not flexible at all. It was so thick w brush i couldnt get my rope up any higher than my arm could reach I think I tied in 7 times to get to the top! I cut out 20-30 dead stubs before I was done took 3 hours. I have had trouble getting up a tree before or getting that last piece of deadwood but I have never felt like a tree was actually assaulting me. But arnt I the lucky one the HO thinks i did such a good job she wants a bid to take it down I told them id get back to them in a week. Might just give them a good price just to watch it come down:) whos laughing now huh!

So you trimmed out a tree that potentially is coming down? And fought to trim it? Seems like a major waste of time. I'd give a real cheap price just to get revenge on the badass tree. :greenchainsaw:

I think that this thread is awesome , what makes it awesome is the posters involved , so with that being said I am gonna stay outta of it and just lurk and read ...:hmm3grin2orange:

I think that this thread is awesome , what makes it awesome is the posters involved , so with that being said I am gonna stay outta of it and just lurk and read ...:hmm3grin2orange:

Wrong!

You've already broken that pledge by making that statement.

I can't say anything without actually posting it , anyway this thread hopefully buries the other one alive kicking and screaming all the way down LOL

Well anyway,

I practiced putting my throwline over a 80' crotch, then tying a running Bowline around it, and setting my rope up there, then retrieving it with the throwline attached.

Climbed up to the crotch and gave it a pat(actually took two tries cause I didn't trust the bowline, so I went back down, pulled it down to check it and re-tied it with a longer tail and stopper knot that I tied my throwline behind to be sure it didn't slip off the rope).

It didn't seem very high on the way up because of the canopy around me, but when I got to that high crotch I could see forever, Daaaaammmmnn!

Well anyway,

I practiced putting my throwline over a 80' crotch, then tying a running Bowline around it, and setting my rope up there, then retrieving it with the throwline attached.

Climbed up to the crotch and gave it a pat(actually took two tries cause I didn't trust the bowline, so I went back down, pulled it down to check it and re-tied it with a longer tail and stopper knot that I tied my throwline behind to be sure it didn't slip off the rope).

It didn't seem very high on the way up because of the canopy around me, but when I got to that high crotch I could see forever, Daaaaammmmnn!
that's awesome the first time I got to the crotch I kissed it for like 40 minutes it was quite an accomplishment for me and I was only 13 years old none of my friends believed it until they smelled the sap all over my face and hands ...

I did a cut test on my Lava RB

I decided to do a cut test on my Lava Rope Boss. For the test I used a split-tail made from the same rope, and tied a blakes hitch onto the climbing line.

Hooked into my saddle, I hung just a few inches off the ground. Then I started cutting into the split-tail.

First I cut completely through the sheath all the way around, which exposed the white inner strands, bounced on it real hard, and nothing happened. No sheath slippage or anything.

Then I started cutting into the white strands, there must be two layers of the white strands, because after I cut completely around the white strands the sheath slipped just a little, not much at all but enough to notice while hanging on it, and that uncovered another layer of white strands. I did the same bounce test, and again nothing happened.

So then I cut through the remaining white strands to expose the purple core, the core is 3 strands of purple polyolefin(sp?) . Nothing happened at this point, so I bounced my weight on it, and again nothing happened.

Then I started cutting the purple polyolefin core. I cut one and nothing happened, I cut two and nothing happened, so I started bouncing on the one single strand, again nothing happened.

I was hanging there by only one thin strand of the purple core! I thought for sure the split-tail would break when I got down to just those last 3 strands, but it surprised me.

So then I started cutting into that last purple strand. 1/4 of the way through, nothing happened. 1/2 of the way through, nothing happened, so I bounced on the line, again nothing happened.

I cut until there was only about 1/5 of the last of the 3 purple strands left, then I bounced on it and it finally snapped.

There's somewhere around 60 strands in Lava rope, with only half of a single strand able to hold my weight when I bounce on it, I impressed, and I feel a lot safer climbing on this stuff.

Oh, and the drop didn't hurt at all.

Back