The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on Clint get yer ass out there! That's prime cutting weather around here. Today is about the only day I won't cut/work in. With the wind chill its 45 below right now. 17 below is the regular temp. Wind is gusting at 25 to 30. I've cut in every kind of freezing rain, snow, sleet, ****, that blows around up here. 1/8" of ice on the trees that sort of thing. Last winter there were so many freezes/thaws I don't know how or why a guy would cut without corks up here. Most do tho. I was sliding around the hills with chains on the skidder last winter. I don't blame ya for avoiding it though. I really don't sometimes I love cutting in that super ****** weather. Keeps you on the ball if you are game for it. Otherwise I'd like to stay in bed.

The very end of Pac's video made me want to barf. Just when I was thinking I was gonna move out west and try to hire on with the Northman. Nah. I'll prolly just keep futzing with saws and polluting the internet with foolish comments

TC, you suthern boys ain't bilt fer them kinda temps!

Do like Bob says and snuggle yer fire. It was 4 deg here this morning and the damn pipes froze out of left field.

I'm headed outside to crawl around with my heat gun. If I by God have to sell a kidney to do it -- I'm doin away with this pumphouse and getting a constant pressure system.

Do like Bob says and snuggle yer fire. It was 4 deg here this morning and the damn pipes froze out of left field.

I'm headed outside to crawl around with my heat gun. If I by God have to sell a kidney to do it -- I'm doin away with this pumphouse and getting a constant pressure system.

Yeah those pump houses suck! Good luck Nate!

Let your faucets dribble! They say to let a stream about the size of a pencil flow. Open the cupboard doors under the sinks. Next year, heat tape your inlet hoses. I've lived through a couple of Methow Valley Winters in a 24 foot travel trailer. The heat tape and dribbling faucets kept it from freezing up. I also put fiberglass insulation in half of the windows to help heat. I still woke up to frost on the wall by the bed. It isn't fun.

We insulated the heck out of the pumphouse and my dad had a big light going in there. If temps got really cold, he would put a small space heater in the pumphouse. Mom was a stickler for letting water trickle out of all the faucets. That was in their 1970 era mobile home, with what the dealer called the"arctic pack" insulation package.

I live in a milder climate but still have a halogen light in my well house in the winter. I'll let faucets drip when we get into the teens at night.

Refrigerators tend to quit working when it gets really cold.

Hey Clint, unless you're the a-hole who brought all this cold weather down on us I fail to see how this is your fault. I can also almost guarantee you Colt sees this as a great adventure, not some sort of hardship. Get the hair dryer and unfreeze the frozen pipes. It'll warm up soon enough. Heather? Unlike Slowp, women usually pick bad times to leave

Clint if she leaves ya she ain't the one. See if Colt has a buddy to hang with for the day that might have a warmer house and then you can use the old "we need to use our body heat to keep warm," trick on Heather. Works every time. In the movies anyway. I haven't gotten it to work yet though.

Nate, you dealing with one of those old Monitor jack pumps? I fought with one of them up till about 3 years ago, I finally broke down and put in a submersible, best 2G I ever spent on this place.

Them old Monitors never break in decent weather.

I had my sewer freeze two years ago, that sucked too. No snow for insulation and a fairly cold winter. It didn't freeze til March, when the ground was almost thawing above it. Never had it happen before, and a few bales of straw help to keep it from happening again.

TC, if your trailer's just sitting on wheels, and especially if it ain't skirted, it's time to go find some hay/straw bales yourself and stack em around the outside to keep the cold out from underneath.

...and then you can use the old "we need to use our body heat to keep warm," trick on Heather. Works every time. In the movies anyway. I haven't gotten it to work yet though.

Certainly doesn't work around here. It's a constant 68* in the house and all I hear is how freezing cold she is. It's hard not to roll your eyes or laugh as loud as you can. Three blankets and a heating pad is her prescription. I guess I should stop dreaming of moving north one day!

Clint, my buddy, I wish there was something we could do other than be here for ya and tell you to keep your head up high.

Latest posts

Back