The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, we have pockets of 'coastal sized' timber here.

Idaho has timber as tall as a lot of the coast, especially central ID.

Our timber is a lot tighter grained too than the coast.

Yupp on the whole it is. I'd rather buy 2x's all day long from ID than from WA.

Wes, have you got a pic of oregon ash? is it a timber tree there? ash used to be big money for us years ago. the local markets dried up and regulation keeps me out of where it grows here. when i do cut one now it is the same as tulip price wise.

Ash is a merch species. It pays the same as maple $433/MBF last month. That's average of everything pulp to sawlog and doesn't include specialty niche markets. Usually ash comes in during the summer months as everything is dried out and our Hydraulics work season starts in July. The mill I was working for (hardwood mill) had a record year for ash. Generally speaking lots of stands are small and not really merchantable.

These are some exceptional ash for around these parts; biggest in this stand that I measured was 24" dbh I think. You don't see natural ash much outside of the Puget Sound Trough.

20150611_102851.jpg
20150611_102916.jpg

boy, hard to see with that moss. never think of the west coast as hardwood country............i need to visit some day and get y'all boys to show me the real west coast.
not bad money for not veneer. you got descent prices for hard wood pulp there? it so low here i won't cut it at all, just let the spray chopper kill it.

Yupp on the whole it is. I'd rather buy 2x's all day long from ID than from WA.

Ash is a merch species. It pays the same as maple $433/MBF last month. That's average of everything pulp to sawlog and doesn't include specialty niche markets. Usually ash comes in during the summer months as everything is dried out and our Hydraulics work season starts in July. The mill I was working for (hardwood mill) had a record year for ash. Generally speaking lots of stands are small and not really merchantable.

These are some exceptional ash for around these parts; biggest in this stand that I measured was 24" dbh I think. You don't see natural ash much outside of the Puget Sound Trough.

View attachment 463624
View attachment 463625
Were you at Cascade or Northwest Hardwoods?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

boy, hard to see with that moss. never think of the west coast as hardwood country............i need to visit some day and get y'all boys to show me the real west coast.
not bad money for not veneer. you got descent prices for hard wood pulp there? it so low here i won't cut it at all, just let the spray chopper kill it.

16-18 a ton for cotton wood, alder and maple pay a little better can't remember how much better 24? hem 32 and doug fir 36, mixed loads at 33 per ton, last time I talked to em anyway.

If the job is close, I would break even, maybe get a few bucks, but the alternative is to chip, or haul away. So pay to remove it or get paid to remove it..

Here you'll pay a grand for 50 percent or better. Tough to come by. They get bought up quick.
found two 16 ply nokian and to 10 ply for $5800.00. Shipping will stink a little. they are for the yarder to keep height down(lowboy issues). Ten ply on the front an 16's on the rear wear the weight is. we are pulling the mainline this week to get the winch sent for updates. and lots of brush burning now that the burn ban has been lifted. boring stuff that has to be done.:blob2::givebeer::barbecue:

I should say I got those numbers from the DNR. They do a monthly survey of prices with the mills and chippers. I also believe they use the timber sales numbers too. You can get it here (its always a month behind): http://www.dnr.wa.gov/programs-and-...sing/timber-sales/timber-sale-querylog-prices

Like Northman posted not too good. The DNR price for October was $270/mbf. Doing some rough math around $30 a ton. Pretty high for alder pulp though so figure my math was off pretty good so it would be more like 28 to 29 maybe. I remember it being down to 25 maybe even 23 last year.

what i can see, it does not look like ours but i take it it grows in bottoms from your post? kinda looks like pics of black ash i've seen.

Yupp we refer to them as ash bottoms. Sometimes there will be a few ash higher up on some of the hills but not often. And lots of times if they are it's on a hardpan layer keeping water from draining well.

Were you at Cascade or Northwest Hardwoods?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Skeans I'll hit you up with a PM hopefully later tonight.

Saw a very cute and shiny TY 70 (or was there another T before the Y?) track mounted yarder in Chehalis. It is amongst the equipment at the equipment sales place next to Service Saw.

I'll have to check it out next Tuesday. Be trying to talk my way into a job with the folks by you that day lol

Don't know what I was thinking when I said neighbor... you do have a few lol. Your other neighbor, the ones that don't take cedar.

The H's? With 2 mills rather close by? Hemlock and white wood to the east and DF to the west?
Or SP?

PB owns a lot of land around here, including quite a chunk where I like to go walking. They seem to be making good grouse habitat because I see more grouse each year in there. They have no mills around here though.

PB has no mills period. Back in the 1800's yes. Originally started as a milling company.

And yup hem and white wood to the east and DF to the west.

Latest posts

Back