the official arborist site work saw build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet, I hope you like it Rick.

Does anyone dought theirself as much as I do? That's the first saw I've ever done for someone else. Of course I have dought in my mind that its anything but a sack of hammers.

Yer not the only one that doubts themselves. I'm not sure how the 460 I've built will stack up. It's startin to wake up after 8 tanks of fuel, but it just seems like it should be better. I've felt that way about several sawa I've built. There have been a couple of exceptions where I new I built somthin special as soon as I fired it up.

I finally got my saw together Monday and got one tank thru it today. It feels strong but is only blowing 165 pounds of compression. Should gain a few pounds over the next few tanks but sadly will never live up to these 200 pounders you guys are building.

i find 185 to be about right in a true work saw. a saw thats blowing 200 will die an early death in a fallers hands. just too much on a work saw. my stock appearing 460 pulls 215 but runs short periods of time unlike a work saw.

Does anyone dought theirself as much as I do? That's the first saw I've ever done for someone else. Of course I have dought in my mind that its anything but a sack of hammers.

Will it was a bone stock 460 with a dual port cover,,,,, a decent saw in my book, between my nephew and myself we have 4 0f them,,, from what I saw in the vid,,, I'm already happy with it,,, I doubt it is a sack of hammers The one I did will be the sack hammer model probably LOLOL,,, I fired it up for the first set of heat runs and I seems good,,,,,,, gonna put the compression guage on it tomorrow,,, Like terry said we will all know on raceday,,,, I was hoping Indian springs would send the simonized 460 to see how his work stacks up,,, I even offered to send him one of my ported work saws while his 460 went to TN but he doesnt seem interested,,, My tree work has been slow this season with all this drought and economy jitters (obamanomics aint workin) and both stumpgrinders are major broke @ the same time,,, repowers:mad2::mad2::bang::bang: no body wants to pay for haul offs and with burn bans in effect,,,, Grrrrrrr its crampin my style

i find 185 to be about right in a true work saw. a saw thats blowing 200 will die an early death in a fallers hands. just too much on a work saw. my stock appearing 460 pulls 215 but runs short periods of time unlike a work saw.

I agree Terry Im hoping for 175-185 cold,,, Ill know tomorrw!!!!!!

Yeah pump gas (especially with Ethanol) on anything over 185-190 is asking for detonation the last pop up saw I built (The Stihl 440 I had @ the 372 buildoff)
is blowing 195-200 I pulled it's muffler down just to look @ it last week and it had classic detonation in two spots on the edges of the piston crown and it has .020 squish!!!! it still runs real good but I just use it for chasing/gunning problem trees off the stump on bad head leaners or ones that have to be persuaded in which way they fall!!! LOLOL if you catch my drift,,,,:hmm3grin2orange:

Drink a beer, Will. You'll be fine. Look at the first build-off, everybody but 1 was within a second of each other.

just remember my motto, there only so much you can do to a work saw and it still be a dependable work saw. if youve done all you can do, it will be right in line with others in the build.

Yer not the only one that doubts themselves. I'm not sure how the 460 I've built will stack up. It's startin to wake up after 8 tanks of fuel, but it just seems like it should be better. I've felt that way about several sawa I've built. There have been a couple of exceptions where I new I built somthin special as soon as I fired it up.

Thanks stump! Ya I knew the same thing on the last 372 I did, it was the best one I've done yet, and that saw ain't ever leaving my greasy mits!!

one things for certain,you'll know on build off day how it stacks up.

LOL, YUP! Can't wait. I'm thanking Rick for giving me the chance, he hand delivered the saw to me to build.

I totally agree Terry. I think my hot 372 is at 160 and it rips. I like 175-185 usually.

Will it was a bone stock 460 with a dual port cover,,,,, a decent saw in my book, between my nephew and myself we have 4 0f them,,, from what I saw in the vid,,, I'm already happy with it,,, I doubt it is a sack of hammers The one I did will be the sack hammer model probably LOLOL,,, I fired it up for the first set of heat runs and I seems good,,,,,,, gonna put the compression guage on it tomorrow,,, Like terry said we will all know on raceday,,,, I was hoping Indian springs would send the simonized 460 to see how his work stacks up,,, I even offered to send him one of my ported work saws while his 460 went to TN but he doesnt seem interested,,, My tree work has been slow this season with all this drought and economy jitters (obamanomics aint workin) and both stumpgrinders are major broke @ the same time,,, repowers:mad2::mad2::bang::bang: no body wants to pay for haul offs and with burn bans in effect,,,, Grrrrrrr its crampin my style

Thanks Rick. I really hope you like it. I really hope you can get it broke in well before hand.

Drink a beer, Will. You'll be fine. Look at the first build-off, everybody but 1 was within a second of each other.

Matter a fact I got a beer in my hands right now.

just remember my motto, there only so much you can do to a work saw and it still be a dependable work saw. if youve done all you can do, it will be right in line with others in the build.

That's what I thought about the 372, but bein there & runnin the other saws made me relize I could do more. I'm sure this 460 is gonna be right there with the rest of the pack like my 372's were, but still unsure if I could do more, or worse, did I go too far & actually backtrack on power. Like you said, we'll find out come raceday. I'm just tickled to even be in these buildoffs.

I totally agree Terry. I think my hot 372 is at 160 and it rips. I like 175-185 usually.

My build off 372 was at 150 when I sent it off, almost 160 when I got it back. It's waked up a little bit but I should have put a pop-up in it.

I finally got my saw together Monday and got one tank thru it today. It feels strong but is only blowing 165 pounds of compression. Should gain a few pounds over the next few tanks but sadly will never live up to these 200 pounders you guys are building.

Don't sweat it man! Mine won last time blowin 165psi cold ;)

ill be damned,they actually came and picked up the porta pot today. they must have reallllly been needing it lol

the entry fee will be a total of $35 that will cover the chain and the wood. i would need that money by the 17th in order to pay for the chains and wood.

Back