The official W.Ky Buildoff Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Build off saw

• 066/660

Votes: 66 62.3%

Votes: 40 37.7%

• Total voters
So....

Here's some thoughts.

346xp - Any out of the box, round ground, any pitch.

(i got a 10 spot on the winner wearing 3/8)

Will be two cuts, down and up in a 12x12 cant of hardwood.

066's and Andy's 7900 :laugh:

36" bars, Any round ground, out of the box 3/8.

cant will be 30"x30" hardwood. Probably do one cut in this, to save cost on wood.

SOund good? :)

Works for me.

Well, I hope that u make it. I really, really want to run a 7900 that's a 660 killer in a 30"x30" hardwood cant :)

I want to see that too.

i think all the saws should run same type of chain. do like what terry has done on the past 2 events.

that way nobody can say" well this saw was running so and so chain and its better out of box blah blah blah........"

i vote rsc

If someone think "X" chain is the best let them run what they prefer. It adds another factor that I like.

I dont have a dog in it Wiggs, but I think the 1 cut is a big mistake. Its so easy to mess up. A lot of people wanted to go with the best of 3 cutsafter the last GTG. I know thats more wood, but if you all are gonna go to all the trouble of driving 7 hours and what not then spend more money on the wood and do'er right. Heck, charge more admission.
Edit: Im sorry, I meant the average timeout of 3 cuts I guess.

I like this suggestion as well. I can pull further ahead that way. :laugh:

Is there going to be one operator this time?

I sure as hell hope not. I would rather run my own saw.

I think one operator is better. Someone like wheelman who seems to keep the saw in its powerband all the time is better than some who push too hard especially if you want it to be a buildoff. If its a race then it doesn't matter who runs them. A bad operator could take the best saw and place last and a good operator take a muffler modded one and beat it.

I think it needs to be the same chain for it to be even as it can be. I don't have any round chain either that's not been filed. All I buy is square cause its cheaper.

Last edited:
I think one operator is better. Someone like wheelman who seems to keep the saw in its powerband all the time is better than some who push too hard especially if you want it to be a buildoff. If its a race then it doesn't matter who runs them. A bad operator could take the best saw and place last and a good operator take a muffler modded one and beat it.

I think it needs to be the same chain for it to be even as it can be. I don't have any round chain either that's not been filed. All I buy is square cause its cheaper.

Wheelman would be perfect IMHO. He can really keep a saw good and steady and like Mike said, in its powerband. Yup, Carl's a goodun!

I feel like this about the single operator thing. I would rather run my own saw, I feel confident in my ability to make a good cut with my own saw. If I didn't I wouldn't enter a contest with my saw. For the guys that can't be there but send a saw we should pick someone to run those saws that everyone agrees on......before the event.

I think it would be hard for one guy to make that many cuts and stay consistent. Not only the guy but the wood too, I think there is a reason the saw racing over the years evolved to cutting in soft square wood where the odds of consistency is much better that 25 inch oak rounds.

I'd be in favor of "run what ya brung" and if someone doesn't have the confidence in themselves to run there own saw to the best ability than find someone who they confidence in to do it.

Imho I prefer everyone run the same type of out of the box chain. That way you get to compare saws instead of chains.

i think all the saws should run same type of chain. do like what terry has done on the past 2 events.

that way nobody can say" well this saw was running so and so chain and its better out of box blah blah blah........"

i vote rsc

If someone think "X" chain is the best let them run what they prefer. It adds another factor that I like.

but that has nothing to do with the saws performance. if the end goal is to see who built the strongest saw then all other factors should be equal, dont you think.

exactly

Latest posts

Back