The Pain of Waiting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pweber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've just been given permission to cut as much apple as I want from an entire orchard that's already been bulldozed into piles. Unfortunately, I have to work my day job and can't start until Saturday! Is there a clinical term to describe the frustration and worry knowing that it might even be torched before I can get there? Aaargh.

I've just been given permission to cut as much apple as I want from an entire orchard that's already been bulldozed into piles. Unfortunately, I have to work my day job and can't start until Saturday! Is there a clinical term to describe the frustration and worry knowing that it might even be torched before I can get there? Aaargh.
I feel like that every time I plan to go cutting and have to wait for the weekend. And my wood isn't even at risk of being burned.

I've just been given permission to cut as much apple as I want from an entire orchard that's already been bulldozed into piles.

did you get a look at the piles? in my experience once its pushed into a pile its so tangled and twisted that its almost impossible to cut. cause the branches get knotted up together. and every piece is twisted or bound up that you pinch your bar every cut. hopefully the piles aren't too big and it doesnt become a problem for you.

Hupte, It is a bit of a mess, but I saw enough easy-access stuff that made me willing to go ask the owner for permission. The real challenge is going to be driving through the orchard. The dozers made a mess of the ground because they did their business before the ground was frozen. Now that the ground is frozen, it's gonna be like driving over cinder blocks. I need a tank.

it's called fatherhood! ... oops, oh wait, ummmmm, nope cant be that but still waiting is an issue.....lol

Get a couple of friends to go with you. Part of your 'pain' is probably thinking about what you won't be able to salvage. If you get some guys to cut with you, there is a better chance that you will get more of it, have a nicer time doing it, as well as spread some of the score around.

Philbert

P.S. - I live too far away, so I am not fishing for an invite!

How much wood are you talking about, and what is it worth to you? Perhaps some folding green in the right pockets might insure the pile waits until you are finished scrounging what you can?

How much wood are you talking about, and what is it worth to you? Perhaps some folding green in the right pockets might insure the pile waits until you are finished scrounging what you can?

Yup, a bit of lubricant can't hurt. Demonstrates respect too.

One tool I've come to love, over the past year, for taking apart tangles, is a little 25 cc polesaw. Keeps you from having to wade through deep brush with a chainsaw (a very bad idea, IMO.) Assistants still have to be extremely careful- a little 10" bar with 25 cc behind it can still inflict horrendous injury.

When others are helping pick such piles apart like for feeding chipper, we generally go for cutting in one pile while "pickers" process a previously-cut pile into the chipper. Problems arise when you have vines. We've evolved ways to snip vines with polesaw while others pull on the snared brush, elevating cutter head clear of others ASAP. Works great. Sped some projects hugely.

I can relate to that pain. I ordered an 066 from the trading post here. It is currently in the mail and won't get here until next Friday :cry:.

One tool I've come to love, over the past year, for taking apart tangles, is a little 25 cc polesaw.

I like using a pole saw for cleaning up storm damage: a different type of tree tangle, but for similar reasons. Helps me reach the high limbs on the pile, and lets me release tension from a safer distance.

Philbert

That was a little too much like work. It was six degrees. The condensation on my safety glasses froze. All the branches were frozen solid in the mud. But I'm happy - at least I got a small load before calling it quits. I'll go back on Monday when the temps hit 30.

Attachments

• IMAG1456.jpg
    IMAG1456.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 52
I'll use it in my wood stove. If I can get enough, I'll probably give some to my sister for her open fireplace. I've never smoked meat before. Is it good for that?

nice score!!! glad you were able to get some of that good smelling stuff. i know ppl like using apple for smoking. i've never used it. i think they use the heart wood for smoking.

I'll use it in my wood stove. If I can get enough, I'll probably give some to my sister for her open fireplace. I've never smoked meat before. Is it good for that?
Apple is one of my favorite smoking woods. It's a mild sweet smoke that works great on chicken and I also use it mixed with Cherry on beef. Around here apple brings far more money than standard firewood.

love applewood but its a pain to split and stack. not many straight pieces and lots of small limbs. I live in an old orchard and the trees are dying so I have a lot of apple to cut. burns great and smells good. bought a splitter in 2014 so that part is much easier now. get all you can you will like it.

Latest posts

Back