The perfect climbing rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

localboy99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for the perfect climbing rope that can be used for secured footlocking to get into the tree and then used for a split-tail setup for working the tree.

I've tried Samson True Blue - good for working the tree but a bit stretchy for climbing, Samson Blue Streak - same thing, and Samson Velocity - great for climbing but too sticky for working the tree. Any suggestions?

Huh? Blue Streak has very low stretch, as low as any climb lines I've seen or used.

Poison Ivy is a favorite with footlocker fellas.

I agree I have been climbing on Blue Streak for two years, I have noticed no stretch in it at all.. I have also seen Poison Ivy for performance when footlocking. Personally, I don't know if I could get used to a 11.7mm rope for split tail use.

i like arbormaster the best so far.easy to work with.

i have big hands so i don't think i'd do well with 11.7.

I also have big hands. The 11.7 ropes tie well and are light weight. However, my hands tend to cramp up if I climb on one for very long. My hands weren't made to grip something that small for very long.

I'm probably larger than most of you gus on here. I've been climbing on ArborMaster (Blue Streak / Gold Streak / Black-Red-White) for a while and have never noticed an excessive amount of stretch or bounce. It is my favorite rope, by far.

...and Samson Velocity - great for climbing but too sticky for working the tree. Any suggestions?

The stickiness wears off pretty quick so if you like the rope you're good to go.

The gripping problem goes away withe 11mm ropes if you wear the smurf gloves, doesn't matter how big your paws are. The rubber coated gloves allow a relaxed grip on the rope so there's less wear and tear on your arms.
-moss

Thanks for the hints Moss. As I have stated before, my start in climbing came form mountaineering, or rock climbing. We used the smaller diameter ropes then, but I was younger and smaller. I just can't get used to climbing with gloves though. The feel of the rope in my hand has always been important to me. I know... get over it... right?

...I just can't get used to climbing with gloves though. The feel of the rope in my hand has always been important to me. I know... get over it... right?

There's nothing like the security of a bare hand on rope. It's worth trying the smurfs anyway just to see what it's like. Lowers fatigue quite a bit I think because of the more relaxed grip. If you saw Randy Moss make that one-handed catch in the game against the Colts last weekend, you get the picture. I figure he had flypaper on his hands, the smurfs do something similar when you're pulling down on the rope.
-moss

Last edited:
same here with the gloves.

i can't get used to climbing with them.tried all kinds.it's hard enough finding them that actually fit.

Thanks for the comeback. I'll spend more time with the Blue Streak. It sounds like it is the preferred rope.

As for the gloves - Gotta have them. Since we're a little off track does anyone have suggestions on footwear for footlocking? I use the Wolverine Durashock #1528 with the flat sole and like them pretty well. Any other ideas?

The Perfact Climbing Rope

I and our class use New Enlgand Rope they have Safety Blue( bright Blue Core fibers white ) , Hy-Vee Orange and white and Ultra Vee Bright Green and white, 1/2 inch lines. 7700, 7000 & 7000 #,real good all around Climbing Rope

I like Poison Ivy for footlocking and working (VT with HRC or beeline cord). Velocity stretches a bit more but it's great for footlocking... the wax is water soluable and wears off pretty quick.

I don't like climbing with gloves but when I started I used them all the time. Once the muscles in your hand get tuned it's easy to grip a small diameter rope, especially doubled which is how you grip it most of the time.

It's probably pointless to go small diameter unless you use mechanical ascenders or friction devices.

By smurf gloves, do you mean the blue rubber coated gloves?
I have used them and like them for increased grip on rope and tools. Be aware that all brands are not equeal. The best I have found are Atlas Fit. They are available in small through XL. Just make sure that you don't get them any were near an 8 plate or munter hitch. I have had to pull my hand out of the glove and let it go through the 8 before. It tore it up pretty bad. It would be nasty to get your fingers and hand caught in it.

Latest posts

Back