the proper way to say stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you, but stihl is a german last name. And the traditional way to pronounce it is "schteal" Remember, the proper way to pronounce something is how the people where it originated do.
I am showing the proper german way of saying it. It may not be the american way, but it is the original way.

Hard to say original. You would have to look up the originans of the name.

And if the family is in northern or southern Germany.

Even the word "two" is pronounced differently in different parts of Germany.

The only real reason for language is to woo women.

Otherwise men would just grunt and point.

See, if you guys would have bought an ekcho you wouldnt have to lose any sleep worrying about mispronunsiation.

English?

Now now a fella has spare budgie smugglers I could be wearing more than one pair ............................

Sorry! I just couldn't resist. Some of the $h!# that is spoken around here has certainly earned criticism, & our Canadian neighbors do not hesitate to remind us at every opportunity. I have a bunch of cousins living there who can be snotty, but, as you can imagine, I can give them a pretty healthy dose of their own medicine. Carry on!
BTW, I don't have any budgie smugglers. I sure would like to win a pair!

Last edited:
That might be true if there were anyone actually pronouncing Jonsered. Stihl is everywhere. A large part of North America is nearly Jonsered free. Most folks have never heard of them. Well, maybe it has more name recognition than Dolmar.

So how is it pronounced? I say it with a J as in "Jones" and an S as in "glass". Is is Yonzered?

Don't take this as an insult to Jonsered or Dolmar. We use a few Jonnys at work and I wouldn't mind getting a Dolmar one of these days.

My Swedish friend told me the proper pronunciation for JRed was yawn-suh-ree-ud where the last part was actually 2 syllables.

Husky was hoose-voorn-uh where the Q is mostly silent.

Not sure what part of Sweden she's from, though.

The best pronounciation of the word "Stihl" is the one that makes you the least embarrassed and gives you the most credibility amongs the machismo chainsaw crowd in your immediate area.

Not that I support being wishy-washy, I've just observed that chainsaw folks are all stubborn German's in some ways and if you want to earn their respect you must do things "properly"

I've learned to not even say the word until the people you are talking to say it first and seem happy on their local pronounciation, then just say it the way they do.

I've called it "stilll" in a Stihl store and the salesman called it "Steal" and from that point on I didn't know anything about chainsaws (to him anyway).

I get a lot of "Style" and "Stall". I personally call it Still.

Latest posts

Back