The rat rod of chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Husqvarna 246 with a 262XP top end :)
You see a small 40 cc frame saw with 60 cc pro saw capability :rock:

Not my idea, but I know it can be done.

Just seen one for sale for $250 plus ship.

I think what we have here is a confusion of terminology. What the op wants is a 'sleeper' saw, not a rat saw. A 'rat' anything is one that is put together with bailing twine and duct tape, whether due to limited finances or to look like you have limited finances (aka street cred).
Perhaps you are right, but it's easy enough to build a sleeper saw by starting with a Chinese piece of garbage and working away till it cuts like a real saw. That has no appeal.
I also agree that a lot of rat rods are rubbish, but you occasionally see one done correctly. A fully built chassis and driveline of top quality, but no chrome or bling. A barn find body that has been left in the paint it was born in, the marks and dents it acquired over it's life, repaired so the doors swing and close cleanly, etc without changing the time weathered appearance.

A Husqvarna 246 with a 262XP top end :)
You see a small 40 cc frame saw with 60 cc pro saw capability :rock:

Not my idea, but I know it can be done.

Just seen one for sale for $250 plus ship.
You sure it wasn't a 242xp top end --- 30 vs 34 mm stroke?

Here is my current project: 288, struggling but making some progress slow but some. I also believe that the 288 could be a rat rod saw plenty of parts real strong out he box with room for a lot of improvement. Almost all the saws from that era were used hard but there are a few like Brads still around. Plenty of beat to death saws if you look. Im not building a rat rod just a good usable saw keeps my mind/hands/cash busy and out of other bad habits.

Bench 288.JPG chair.JPG

An old and very used Husqvarna might be the best choice (they all tend to look very used after some heavy-duty time)...
272 I use for the ugly stuff...

480 as backup for ugly stuff

And a couple of saws that obviously have been through hell and back but still work

My vote would be for an ex Home Depot Makita saw. They are usually already beat to hell cosmetically, parts are readily available, and hot rod (big bore) kits are easily obtainable.
The best part is that the worse it looks, the cheaper you can get it for.

My vote would be for an ex Home Depot Makita saw. They are usually already beat to hell cosmetically, parts are readily available, and hot rod (big bore) kits are easily obtainable.
The best part is that the worse it looks, the cheaper you can get it for.
If I was stateside there would be one in my shed! Not quite rocking horse droppings in Aus, but pretty close.

If I was stateside there would be one in my shed! Not quite rocking horse droppings in Aus, but pretty close.
:D I just sold one. Ran it for a couple of hours today and was very impressed with the power with the big bore kit from Bailey's. It will be shipped out to it's new owner on Monday. :rock:image.jpg

I'll have to get a picture of my crappy 029 with the 390 kit and the 20" Husky NK bar - it runs a 9-pin. Its SawTroll's worst nightmare.

Its a beauty, mismatched plastic, banged up, bottom of the rung homeowner saw. I had to look around to find the crappiest bar cover I could find to go with the rest of the saw (and to cover up the NK bar).

I'm still tuning it, it has heaps of low end torque so it looks like I will raise the transfers (well, trim the side of the piston) and pull the powerband up a bit.

Its a great wood saw, the POS is now my favourite saw to cut with.

Latest posts

Back