The Savage the Pig and the Dolbeer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not read this thread yet but it caught my eye. I have had the chance play around with a Dolbeer donkey engine just a little bit. This one has a capstan winch. I think I have a pic of it on PhotoBucket somewhere.

Nope sorry, not a worthy pic. The Dolbeer donkey is smoking in the background but I guess I don't have a better image.
IMG_9471.jpg

Last edited:
Probably not many know what a pig is. A pig was used in ground logging on the long skid roads in conjunction with road donkeys. It was similar to a small boat usually made of boiler plate but I have seen pictures of wooden ones much like a dugout canoe. It trailed behind the turn and was used to carry the dogs that attached the logs in the turn together when they were shipped back to the back end. I mention this not because I am old enough to remember but because I found one back up in the woods on the East Fork of the Humptulips years ago. Also a Bagley scraper there that they used to make the cuts for the long skid roads. That country was all ground logged and splash damed down the river to Grays Harbor in the early days. It has since then been all logged a second time and I don't know what became of the pig. Probably forgotten as a useless piece of scrap metal but a little bit of the history still resides in my brain.

Next bit of related history is what is a PF man (censors would get me if I spelled it out) and where the term chaser comes from? hint, all related to that pig. Who knowes?

Don't know how to start this one, but found this plain interesting. Historically, by many accounts, the Locomotive and the Dolbeer Logging-Engine (Donkey Engine) were the major invovations which revolutionized early logging operations.
Skagit River Journal had news of the first Dolbeer Logging Engine in 1884.

John Dolbeer received two patents very close together for his Logging Engine.
This is not readily apparent the Dolbeer history. However, some photos show the two variations of drive mounting.

The windlass style mounting was the first patent using a single windlass. Later variations show multiple spools of different sizes. These are shown in photos of the early main line using wire line (cable) with haul back for the pig..

The capstan style mounting seems to be associated with earliest Dolbeers. Heavy hawser (4"+) was used as the turn line, near as can be made out. Not at all sure, but may have been before the pig. Interesting, the Capstan was the later patent.

The first patent in 1882 is the Logging Engine with the horizontal capstan (windlass).
The second patent followed in 1883 and is the Logging Engine with the vertical capstan.

For reference, here are the 1882, 1883 Dolbeer patent drawings:

1882 Dolbeer 256553 Logging Engine Windlass Patent
1883 Dolbeer 290755 Logging Engine Gypsy-Capstan Patent

Additions, corrections, please.

Last edited:
Dolbeer Capstan Logging-Engine photographs

Here are some historic photographs take 1880's-1930's of Dolbeer's patented Logging-Engine manufactured by many companies. Photographs are from University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections Division. Photographers are mostly Kinsey and Ford.

Most of the early Dolbeer Logging-Engines (capstan or windlass) were for ground yarding. The earliest engines used heavy manila line, which was quickly replaced by steel cable.

First up is 1883 Capstan (vertical) Logging-Engine

Next photograph Capstan Mainline haulback was done using the horse (which also carried the dogs and chokers). Steam engine is lower left of bolier in photograph.

Capstan Crew Yarding Log included the Engine operator, Boilerman feeder/woodchopper, Capstan Tailer, Choke setter.

Yarding crew in action. Man second from left is hauling water for the steam boiler. This is probably an early Logging-Engine, since it does ot appear to have water tank for boiler feed. Horse for haulback of mainline is on far right of photograph.

Capstan Logging-Engines had plenty of power for yarding. Leading edge of log was trimmed to avoid digging into skid road and hanging up.

Last edited:
Was Mr Dolbeer a timberman ? He had a great mind for sure. Thanks for the information and pics.

This is a brief biography of John Dolbeer from this source.

Will try to post some additional photographs later today.

John Dolbeer was born in Epsom <New Hampshire> March 12, 1827, the son of Nicholas Dolbeer and Esther Chase of New Rye. The Dolbeer's were important citizens in Epsom right through the turn of the century, including his uncle Jonathan, who left a diary listing the deaths in Epsom from 1819 to 1854, which was carried on by Calvin, brother to the John Dolbeer of this sketch. A product of Epsom schools, he left the family farm in 1850 at the age of 23 and set out to the California gold rush to make his fortune. By 1853 he had made connections in the Humboldt Bay area to establish the Bay Mill. Through failure and fires he survives and by 1864 teams with William Carson to form the Dolbeer and Carson Lumber Company. The company grows, and John Dolbeer becomes one of the most famous and influential personages in the Redwood industry in the State of California. His several patents showed his ingenuity in problem solving, and he had an impact in all facets of the industry, from the actual lumbering operation itself, to transporting and exporting - even owning the barks and brigs to bring the lumber to worldwide markets. Among his most useful and successful patents was that for the spool or steam donkey. This machine simply was a steam engine mounted on a wooden skid which would enable loggers to move giant longs across long distances to adjacent railways.

In 1872, late in life, he married Harriet Schander, and in 1873 his son, Chase Dolbeer was born. He established his home on Lombard Street in San Francisco. Four years later, in 1877, the Dolbeers had their daughter, Bertha. Business continued to thrive, despite the fact that the Dolbeer & Carson Bay Mill burned down twice. It is about the time of the second fire that the personal life of Jonathan Dolbeer turns tragic. In 1879, Harriet commits suicide, and was called by the San Francisco Call "a suffering invalid" and in 1886, his son Chase was thrown from a wagon and died at the age of 13. John Dolbeer died in San Francisco from a heart ailment on August 17, 1902. The bulk of his estate went to his lone surviving daughter Bertha, and was worth nearly one million dollars. Additional sums were given to several charities, and relatives in Epsom, including his niece Ellen Dolbeer Hall (daughter of his brother Calvin) and her husband, Charles Sumner Hall. His family endured yet a final tragedy when on July 9, 1904, his daughter Bertha committed suicide at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City, putting the battle for the estate in the California Courts through 1908

Despite all the personal troubles, John Dolbeer left a lasting legacy in the redwood industry of California which continues to this day. His legacy in Epsom comes from a visit to his home in 1900. At the time, Epsom was searching for a new library building, and J.H. Dolbeer was on the library committee, which met during John Dolbeer's visit, and at which he was in attendance for a meeting. He offered, if the town would build, to furnish all the redwood lumber they would need to complete a building, inside and out. Well, the land was donated by Charles Sumner Hall, and Mr. Dolbeer was true to his word, and the current Epsom Public Library became a legacy to the town in which this respected and much admired person was born.
Picture top right - John Dolbeer from San Francisco Call 8/18/ 1902 from photocopy provided by David B. Harrison.
Picture bottom right - Dolbeer Steam Donkey, horizontal spool design, currently on display Fort. Humboldt, Eureka, CA. Photo taken by and courtesy of David B. Harrison, Belmont, CA.
Sources: David B. Harrison and "History of the Epsom Library: The One Hundred Years" by Peg Daniels.

These photographs are of the Windlass (horizontal drum) style of 1882 patent Dolbeer Logging-Engine. The earliest of these was a single drum. Horses were used for haulback of mainline to the lay.

Later, two drums allowed haulback of the mainline using the second drum which made for faster turns. Three or more drums allowed the transition of ground based yarding to High-lead yarding and rail - truck loading.

Early Single Windlass

Later Single Windlass

Cutting firewood with bucking saw for the boiler of single drum Dolbeer.

Another way to buck firewood.

Easier firewood bucking. Drag saw on left appears to be steam driven.

Gasoline drag saw bucking.

Early two drum Dolbeer. Rear drum for Mainline is chain driven. Open side front drum may have allowed cable to go direct to rear drum for high speed haul. Front fairlead is set for side haul.

Early Large two drum Dolbeer

Splicing cable. Early two drum Dolbeer.

Felled, Side Lay, sniped end. Haulback line can be seen on left.

Long Haul

Nice view of engine on left. Heavy cable on this two drum engine.

Logging Engine mounted on rail flatcar.

Loading rail car with tongs.

Donkey engine rigged for
High-lead yarding.
Massive fairleads on front and spark screen covering stack.

Empire four drum engine

Four drum Donkey set up for High-lead. Can't quite read makers name on flywheel.

Gota have a dog in the crew.

The greaser in front of team swabbed dogfish oil or petroleum on skid road logs. Same thing was used on chutes.

Photographs are from University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections Division. Photographers are mostly Kinsey and Ford.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

The dog looks like the same dog in pictures that my mom has of her Scandihoovian family harvesting wheat in E. WA. I believe the breed was called, Daniel Spaniel.

Manufacturers of Donkey and Yarder Engines

Something ovelooked in the transition of single Capstan or Windlass Dolbeers to the new engines with two or more drums was the weight of the lines and rigging that had to be horse pulled back to the logs.

Logging Engines built with two or three drums allowed the steam power to haul out the Mainline to the next turn using the Backhaul line. This was way faster than horse back hauling the Mainline and rigging. Mainline speeds of 600-900 ft/min and Haulback speeds 1800 ft/min were commonly described.

The smaller Logging Engines were frequently used to skid logs from where they were bucked, out to the main pole road. Mainline winch capacity ranged from couple hundred feet to around a thousand feet. The Backhaul winch capacity and Straw line winch capacity would be at least double the Mainline.
Line sizes were commonly 7/8 - 1" for the Mainline; 5/8" for the Backhaul and 3/8" for the Straw line.

The larger Yarding Engines were used to haul logs off the skid road, over the pole road (or chute) to a yard for truck, rail, or river transport to the mill. Several Yarding engines might be used in series for very long hauls. Mainline winch capacity ranged from couple thousand feet to a mile or more. The Backhaul winch capacity would be at least double the Mainline.
Line sizes were commonly 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" for the Mainline; 5/8-3/4" for the Backhaul and 3/8" for the Straw line.

Depending on the boiler capacity, engine size and haul loads, four to eight cords of split wood are commonly cited amounts used per day. Oh, they be full not face cords..

Some approximate weights per foot, one can figure 1000 ft line weights and appreciate the weight of the Mainline and Haulback line on the ground to the logs. So, the reason for the Straw line drum was manhandling impossible line weights out to the logs.

3/8" 0.26 lbs
5/8" 0.72
7/8" 1.42
3/4" 1.04
1" 1.85
1.25" 2.89
1.50" 4.16

The line weight chart and winch line capacity calculator (credited to Ingersoll-Rand).

LOGGING IN THE DOUGLAS FIR REGION is a very good read on Logging operations, equipment, and their costs using Donkey engines starting on page 50.

A previous post on Windlass Donkeys, referenced drag saws for bucking wood for steam boilers. Neglected to include performace of the drag saws. This information can be found on pages 45-46 in LOGGING IN THE DOUGLAS FIR REGION.

Some photographs of Donkey engine manufacturers:

Largest Washington Yarder

Clyde Manufacturing Company

Willamette Compound Yarder

Sumner Iron Works 2 cylinder 2 drum

Sumner Iron Works 2 drum

Sumner Iron Works Horizontal Boiler 2 drum

c1920 Skagit Gas Donkey, #1183

Murray Brothers Vertical Spool Donkey

California Iron Works Bull Donkey

Marschutz and Cantrell Improved Vertical Spool Donkey

1922 Washington Iron Works #3404 Three-spool Yarder

1923 Washington Iron Works 12x17 Simplex Slackline Yarder, #3643

1913 Willamette Steam Yarder #4703

Washington Iron Works Steam Yarder 3451

1928 Washington Iron Works Estep Diesel Yarder

and finally,

1906 Eureka Foundry Company Horizontal Spool Donkey where's Barbie and the Blue Wedge ?

credits:
Oregon State University
Washington State University, Special Collections
Everette Public Library
The Roots Collection

I thinned some south of Baker(now Baker City) near some reservoir. One could still see where the rails had gone into the stand. Rails & ties long gone. Nice stand when we were done. Mostly 50' tall, never did a ring count.

Ifnh, good pics and info. I like on The Largest Washington Yarder where it says the crew did'nt much like it because of the 1 1/2" chokers. They had to be tuff. I was on some ground lead with an 1 1/8" choker and it was about more than I could handle. I can't imagine 1 1/2".

not shur of type. but heres a pic with my great gramp in 36 blackrock or. 8th from right.View attachment 192501

Amazing photograph been looking at it a while for all the engine details. that is a monster yarder. Look like whistle lines off on the left. 6th from right seems to be rolling a smoke. noon break lunch pails out. details of boots is some of best ever. Right up there with Kinsey's photographs. Can't thank you enough paccity. hope you don't mind the added comments.

192501d1312119568-scan0001-jpg

Back in post #11, LOGGING IN THE DOUGLAS FIR REGION was listed as a good reference.

Forgot to include the following reference, as well:

LOGGING
The Priciples and General Methods
of Operation in the
United States
by
Ralph Clement Bryant​

The 500+ pages cover just about every aspect of early 1900 Logging in good detail, especially the chapters on Power Skidding, Yarding and Layout. The book is not commonly found, but fortunately it is freely accessible from here and is easy to navigate through the book online (the pdf version is quite large to download).

Riding the Dugout- Rigging Sled - Pig

Couple of historic photographs of loggers riding the Dugout/Sled. Credits as given.

Darn sure had photo of an early iron Pig tucked away, but just can't find it.
If some has one, please post it.

Riding the Dugout
from Pacific County Historical Society and Museum

A Ride to Work
Washington State University Special Collections - Darius Kinsey

Back