The suicidal Kumquat Tree mystery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpasquini

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention lol. I ordered two kumquat trees to grow in pots (will bring inside in winter, as I live in the Midwest).
They were sent from the nursery with some fruit already on them, about 2-3 years old. They were staked with iron rods and I did notice the trunks looked rather thin and spindly.
Well what was my surprise two weeks later, after buying tree pots, citrus soil, fertilizer, perlite.....and potting them, etc.
I go in to the yard in the morning and one has snapped in half! (see pic).
Now this is in a small protected yard area that is fenced on all sides, next to the side of the house. I've never seen this happen before.

My only suspicion is the trees were staked for 2-3 years and then when the stakes were removed by me, they were not able to hold up the tree well since they did not develop the trunk properly.
Now comes my conundrum.
The nursery is sending me a one-time replacement. Do I leave that one staked, and stake the other one for protection, or leave them unstaked, every day risking another catastrophe? I understand somewhat the logic of staked trees being weaker, but then I don't want another disaster. These trees are expensive, and my credit with the nursery has been used up.
Can anyone advise on this topic? Thanks!!

Attachments

• P1130843.JPG
    P1130843.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 34
I would keep them staked, but allow a little movement. They look very top heavy for the size of the stem. If you get some branching low down, you might want to leave that as it will add taper to the trunk making it stronger.

This winter, you may want to thin the canopy a bit. I'm not sure what a 2 yo would look like in nature, ie central stem with a few side branches?, you may want to look that up.

I would definitely keep them staked, but also leave some room for movement. I dont know that i would wait until winter to thin the heads however. I might do a little weight reduction and maybe even occasionally use a little house fan on oscilate to help strengthen the trunks some before winter

Latest posts

Back