The time is now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twochains

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well it's warming up and winter is showing a near end. I have been wintering with a crew because they also had their own sawmill...so I could always have something to do even in bad weather. I have been logging for a crew on the weekends and the boss offered me a Helluva deal if I would come work full time for him. The money is where I can't even begin to think about staying with the crew I am a full timer for.

Here is where hopefully maybe you guys might chime in and give me some suggestion as how to tell my boss I am leaving. This guy is a great boss, keeps me in work, feeds me home cooked breakfast and lunch when we are at the mill...just a really good guy in general.

Under most circumstances I would just walk up and say, "Hey, I am giving you 2 weeks to replace me", but I am having a hard time telling him. I should have grown a pair and told him Monday, but damn, I am afraid he is going to take it REALLY bad! It is going to come at him off guard. Part of the reason my boss is going to take it bad is because the guy I am going to go to work for, buys my boss his timber and they are good friends. I asked this new boss how I should break the news and he totally understands the situation. He said to just be nice about it and come straight out and tell him. Another thing he said was it's always hard to loose a good saw hand and faller but, business is business.

I am having a very hard time with the prospects of telling my boss. Any advice you guys could shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies. Cheers!

One way to approach the situation is to tell your current boss about the offer and see if he will raise your pay to match. Loyalty is important but you need to take care of yourself and if you have the opportunity to make more money elsewhere, I think you should.

.....He said to just be nice about it and come straight out and tell him.

I am having a very hard time with the prospects of telling my boss. Any advice you guys could shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies. Cheers!

Your new boss told you right. Waiting won't make it any easier. Break it to your old boss the same way you'd want the news broken to you if the situation was reversed.

Just man up and tell him, if ya want to be kind tell him you really enjoyed working with his crew, but you're getting more money elsewhere, he don't have to know where. If he truly is a great boss he'll understand, and maybe somewhere down the line if things don't work out he'll even take ya back.

Waiting only prolongs the pain, and makes him even more desperate to find a replacement...

Just be honest and tell him straight up don't burn bridges behind you.

It also tends to go a lot better than you think it will. So buck up and get it over with, its not his first time to get dumped, and to put things in perspective, he will be ok, sounds like he's been doing this a long time.

Nothing wrong with seeking better opportunities in life. Sometimes it pays off, and sometimes it would have been better to stay, but one can't always see the future. I agree with the others. Tell the Boss, and get it over with. You'll feel better, and he'll begin looking for a replacement.

Just in case you haven't guessed from my clueless posts, I'm not a logger. I am a business owner, however, and from my perspective, when employees leave, what I value most is honesty and time. The more time an employee gives me to find a replacement, the easier my life. Tell your boss tomorrow, and if you want to stay in his good graces, or if you feel indebted to him in any way, offer to stay on for a few extra weeks for him to find a replacement. Maybe even offer to show the new guy the ropes for a few days. If you need a job, or reference from your old boss in the future, best to not leave him in the lurch now. Very much just my .02

Something else to think about...logging is transient work for the most part. We're always working ourselves out of a job. :) Just don't burn your bridges.

I've had guys quit and then at some later time they came back around looking for work. That's not unusual in this business.

The ones that I hired back...and there have been a few over the years that I've hired back several times...were the ones that were good at their jobs, got along with most everybody, and treated me right when they left. If a guy gave me notice and put out the full effort every day until he left I always appreciated it. And I remembered him.

I also remembered the ones who just didn't show up one day and had their wife call me for their check. Likewise I remembered the ones who would work a few days, take a few days off, miss several Mondays in a row and then ask for an advance on their pay and an early leave time on Friday. They didn't last long. If they called up the next season looking for a job I'd tell them no...even if I had to run short handed.

When loggers sit around and talk, one of the favorite topics is bosses. The good ones, the bad ones, the ones who pay, the ones who cheat. The ones who treat you fair and the ones who don't. The reasonable ones, the yellers and the screamers, the ones who never say much at all.

When bosses sit around and talk, who do you think they talk about? Right! They talk about loggers...who's good, who's not, who puts out a little extra effort, who shows up on time every day, works the rotten weather and the bad ground and doesn't complain too awful much. Who treats the machinery right, who's good on the saw, who takes a little pride in his work. We refer guys back and forth when somebody needs a hand and we know who the best ones are.

Point is...if you're a good guy, the word gets around. Logging in any area is like living in a small town, pretty soon everybody knows everybody. If you treat your old boss right he'll remember it. He might still hate to see you go, and if he gets a little grumpy about it it's really kind of a compliment, but he might hire you back some day when you darn well need hiring.

Update

Well, I finally did it! I waited until I finished the tract of timber I was cutting...all the while working weekends for my new employer. I had promised an old freezer to one of my former boss' sons, so I delivered it this evening and told him first. I explained that I liked workin' for those boys, but I was going to quit. Then I drove over to his dad's place and told him and his wife that I appreciated everything they did for me. He took it well and being as I was leaving with no bad feelings I think it went real well. So I guess this is just another chapter closed.

Things are going great with my new boss! He fired 2 cutters and I fall the lead from now on. I have speed their production up so much that I am already going to get a early finish bonus!!! :msp_w00t:... I have been at this half my life and never knew there was such a thing! As long as I can stay safe, I think this will be my last jump for some time to come.

Thank you guys for your input and replies! :cheers:

Clint

Latest posts

Back