The Tips Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sport Faller

Gate Pimp
Reaction score
No, not bar tips :msp_tongue:

I'm going to work in the woods in 1 week, running a skidder, and would absolutely love to hear some of the tips and tricks from the extensive database of knowledgable cats here

Here's what I know so far:

#1: Shut the hell up when someone's trying to tell you something, and listen.
#2: Gold Bond powder is your friend.
#3: If you're not going to be smart enough to bring TP, atleast be smart enough to wear long sleeve shirts with lots of easily removed pockets
#4: Have a jacknife for removing sleeves and pockets

What skidder?

If it has a hand throttle, set the throttle @ just under 1/2, and use the transmission to go faster or slower on the way back out to get a hitch.. Saves fuel, and the boss will love you.
Ask where the grease gun is, so you can grease the machine...the boss will love you.
Check the oil every morning without being asked. The boss will love you.
Be there early enough to have the machine greased, fueled, and warmed up so when the start of the day hits you are moving. Have a hitch behind you when the other guys roll in, and the boss will love you...but the other guys might lable you a suck-ass.

What skidder?

If it has a hand throttle, set the throttle @ just under 1/2, and use the transmission to go faster or slower. Saves fuel, and the boss will love you.
Ask where the grease gun is, so you can grease the machine...the boss will love you.
Check the oil every morning without being asked. The boss will love you.
Be there early enough to have the machine greased, fueled, and warmed up so when the start of the day hits you are moving. Have a hitch behind you when the other guys roll in, and the boss will love you...but the other guys might lable you a suck-ass.

it's a 648 G

Got to run it a little as kindof a pre-job preview and asked about greasing it so he showed me where the grease fittings were

I'll have to remember about checking the oil, Thanks

He picks me up at my place every morning (we live real close by each other)

Thanks, Jake

Be kind to any foresters that show up. Remember, they will arrive after the good parking spots are gone and may be cranky.:coffee:

Oh, and I believe the major cause of injuries in running equipment is getting on and off. Don't slip! Use the handles if there are any.

Good advice so far but I'll ad just a little.

Don't turn the skidder over. It's hard on the paint and the time spent getting it back on it's feet disrupts production. If you're not hurt too badly people will laugh at you. Except the boss...he won't be laughing at all.

If you have designated skid trails, stay on them. That way the grumpy Forester that showed up late and couldn't find a good place to park won't snarl at you.

Lay your turns in at the processor neatly where he can sort without having to reach.

Watch your decks. If they're loading out fir and the cold deck is low and all you see in the decks is pine or cedar...bring in some fir.

Don't turn the skidder over. It's noisy and all the junk on the floorboards and behind the seat rains down on you.

Did I mention not turning the skidder over?

Learn to load and unload your machine from the lowbed. Learn to bounce it on over the back and learn how to load it off of a brow log. Learn to load from a cut bank in the road.

If the skidder has a blade, practice grading. I've seen guys do amazingly good jobs with those little short skidder blades.

Make a pass through the loading chute once in awhile and clean it out.

And...try not to turn the skidder over. At least not on your first day.

Good advice so far but I'll ad just a little.

Don't turn the skidder over. It's hard on the paint and the time spent getting it back on it's feet disrupts production. If you're not hurt too badly people will laugh at you. Except the boss...he won't be laughing at all.

If you have designated skid trails, stay on them. That way the grumpy Forester that showed up late and couldn't find a good place to park won't snarl at you.

Lay your turns in at the processor neatly where he can sort without having to reach.

Watch your decks. If they're loading out fir and the cold deck is low and all you see in the decks is pine or cedar...bring in some fir.

Don't turn the skidder over. It's noisy and all the junk on the floorboards and behind the seat rains down on you.

Did I mention not turning the skidder over?

Learn to load and unload your machine from the lowbed. Learn to bounce it on over the back and learn how to load it off of a brow log. Learn to load from a cut bank in the road.

If the skidder has a blade, practice grading. I've seen guys do amazingly good jobs with those little short skidder blades.

Make a pass through the loading chute once in awhile and clean it out.

And...try not to turn the skidder over. At least not on your first day.

Thanks Bob!
what's the cold deck?

The deck they're not loading out of.

DON'T "practice grading" with the skidder on the haul road. I've seen mostly terrible jobs done with skidders grading. I can only think of two guys who could blade a road well with a skidder. The same goes for waterbar construction.

Practice on a road that will be closed or ripped up.

Ugh, the complaints from the tourii about big rocks in the middle of the road and berms in the middle of the road--and getting called into the ranger's office because somebody decided to blade the main road to the overcrowded campground with a skidder. Shudder...:bomb:

Foresters should make bets with the siderod about how many trees will be skinned up. It's amazing how well the skidders start operating and how carefully chokers are set to avoid having the forester :coffee:win.

Check the skidder over every day, I send any operator home who doesn't fluids in the morning start-up routine, you must have either checked them or asked on you're interview trial run or you wouldn't have been asked back. We also have a u-broke it you get to fix it policy, at least ya get to help the extremely grumpy mechanic as a go-fer, few repeat dumb break downs after a round with him.

only thing I can ad is this, be sure to check trans fluid daily, they cost more than engines. try grading [smoothing ] in reverse. like others said, try to keep the landing clean, loaders and truckers like it. good luck man, we are rootin for ya

Fully mechanized crew?

The 648 should have a hand throttle. It is your friend. It will make the ride a lot smoother, and your body won't hurt so bad at the end of the day..even with a hitch on, learn to use it...just bump it up till you are making the speed the boss wants to see. A steady throttle makes a world of difference in ride and fuel use.

Don't practice dozing with the blade...at all. The boss sees that, he sees time and fuel being wasted. That blade is there for decoration 99% of the time. On a fully mechanized crew, you should use the blade maybe 2-3 times a day and only because you have to or were asked to by someone who has a right to ask. One place you will use the blade is to bump the hitches and get the butts even so it's easier to grab and go..

Grab a big pile of shwag from the delimber or where-ever you can, and use them as "bumpers" on the leave trees you would otherwise be scarring up...stumps and big rocks work well too, but brush works best.

We have a 648g. Its an old machine now, but still skidding. Pretty sure there is no hand throttle. We always joke that a grapple skidder op can turn his head far enough to see into his back pants pockets. The newer tiger cats have a swivel seat. What luxury. Keep it greased daily. Fluids topped up and neck suitably stretched. Like gologit said, wheels down.

Also be careful not to downshift too soon and over rev. Engines get pricey.

nah, no hand throttle, just a pedal
in the bosses words, "yeah, your neck's gonna be sore as #### for a couple weeks but it gets better'

Has it been metioned yet to keep it on its wheels......lol Sorry had to throw that in there ....again ......

Back