The tree will die or need more cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkim13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to get rid of this digger pine tree from my back yard due to the tree root lifting the main water pipe which broke the pvc main water pipe pipes.

It has already broken several times.

Also, the fruit trees surrounding this pine tree are not in good condition.

I removed the bark around the tree.

My question is if the tree will die or need more cut.

Thanks in advance.

Jkk
z.jpg

x.jpg

Yes, your girdling cut will kill the tree. However, it could take a surprisingly long time to die. I girdled a couple Ponderosa pines up the road for a customer, and they remained green for two years before finally turning brown.
Thank you for responding.

Wow, it takes 2 years to dry out ...

I might think about cutting the tree instead of waiting 2 years.
Jkk

I might think about cutting the tree instead of waiting 2 years.
If you need more reason to cut rather than to wait for it to die, think of the dog that lives in the house next to the tree. You probably do not want a branch from a dead/weakened tree breaking off and falling on the dog. Better to bring down the hazard under your control than to leave it to wind and gravity.

If you need more reason to cut rather than to wait for it to die, think of the dog that lives in the house next to the tree. You probably do not want a branch from a dead/weakened tree breaking off and falling on the dog. Better to bring down the hazard under your control than to leave it to wind and gravity.
Thank you for your comment.
I have been cutting trees for firewood for more than 11 years but not this kind of big tree.

Removed the dog kennel and relocated the water line today.
Will do a bore cut with my backhoe.

Thanks
Jkk
gg.jpg
ggg.jpg

I need to get rid of this digger pine tree from my back yard due to the tree root lifting the main water pipe which broke the pvc main water pipe pipes.

It has already broken several times.

Also, the fruit trees surrounding this pine tree are not in good condition.

I removed the bark around the tree.

My question is if the tree will die or need more cut.

Thanks in advance.

Jkk
View attachment 971035

View attachment 971036
I don't understand. Back on Jan 31st you posted this same tree being pruned using a backhoe. Thought you wanted to save the tree? No saving now with the girdle. Personally, I would have just moved the water lines before killing an ancient digger pine. jmho :-( OT

I don't understand. Back on Jan 31st you posted this same tree being pruned using a backhoe. Thought you wanted to save the tree? No saving now with the girdle. Personally, I would have just moved the water lines before killing an ancient digger pine. jmho :-( OT
There are three reasons to decide to cut the tree.
One is that it continuously causes trouble to the water line..
I had to repair the broken main water pipe line two times in 2 weeks
It is too hard to relocate the water line unless I change the whole well system which means I can't afford the money and labor.

Second. The drought is worsening in California. It causes the tree to consume water more aggressively.
I see the root at 200ft from the main tree trunk. It causes problems for other fruit trees.

Third: My neighbor recommended cutting the tree because that size tree consumes more than 1000 gallon of water per day (I don't know if it is true or not but it consumes a lot of water surely )
It was hard to decide to cut the tree until now.
It is kind of a symbol of my ranch. I would want to save it.
Jkk
20220228_094833.jpg

While it sounds like you've resolved this issue by deciding to cut the tree, another thing is worth considering. The two girdled ponderosas I referred to each took several years to die, but then afterward the structural integrity of the tree was poor behind the girdling cuts. Each tree fell--with no way to influence timing or direction--something like 5--6 yrs after being girdled. Probably not an outcome you want in your situation. (Was not a problem out in the woods with the trees I girdled.)

There are three reasons to decide to cut the tree.
One is that it continuously causes trouble to the water line..
I had to repair the broken main water pipe line two times in 2 weeks
It is too hard to relocate the water line unless I change the whole well system which means I can't afford the money and labor.

Second. The drought is worsening in California. It causes the tree to consume water more aggressively.
I see the root at 200ft from the main tree trunk. It causes problems for other fruit trees.

Third: My neighbor recommended cutting the tree because that size tree consumes more than 1000 gallon of water per day (I don't know if it is true or not but it consumes a lot of water surely )
It was hard to decide to cut the tree until now.
It is kind of a symbol of my ranch. I would want to save it.
Jkk
View attachment 971359
Thanks. Got it. Tough decision to make for sure. Be sure to PAINT the stump with 2-4-D as the roots will continue to grow if not. jmho OT

I cut the tree successfully today.
I was worried about cutting the tree because it is so big and I have never cut this big tree in my life.
The bore cut makes falling down the tree in the exact direction what I want.
Thank you for helping.
Jkk
bb.jpgbx.jpgbv.jpg

Latest posts

Back