The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I punctured my arm on a set of pro safety on a 460. It was the monster 5 point set. Was working on the new old truck yesterday and put a new steering box on and a transmission line decided it would start leaking right down from where we put that on. :dizzy:

I spent most of the day yesterday putting a Firestone air bag kit on the mini-crummy. Wrenching is not my favorite thing.

The brochure said that a reasonably equipped and experienced person could install the kit, both sides, in three or four hours. Riiiiiight. They neglected to mention that not everybody has a hydraulic hoist, a complete array of air tools, hospital grade lighting in their shop, and a left arm with three elbows in it. They also skipped over the fact that you'd need the dexterity of a brain surgeon so that when you got the three elbowed arm wound around the brake lines, fuel lines, exhaust pipe, and shock absorber to the place where you'd be working strictly by grope and dropped the tiny lock washer down inside the frame rail you could maybe retrieve it without dismantling the entire vehicle.

Hmmmph...I'll do the other side today.

Yuck Bob.
I'm buying a new carb for the old car, CA gas is rapidly eating it making it run funny.
Once it gets here, it is a 20 minute job.

Good. When you get done with your 20 minute job get over here and help me rassle with the Tacoma. We'll get a helper and you and I can supervise.
All I need is somebody with a size seventeen neck, a size three hat, and nimble little fingers about the size of a match stick.:msp_wink:

As soon as I get fully caffeinated I'm gonna go back out there and whip that thing.

Yuck Bob.
I'm buying a new carb for the old car, CA gas is rapidly eating it making it run funny.

Randy, you don't believe in carb rebuild kits? Is there still original carbs available for those 60's cars, or do you have to do with aftermarket stuff?

I just busted valve cover (aluminium) of my poor old crummy adjusting the valves. It's a bit tricky to get a new one, but luckily I've got good friends helping me out.

Sometimes these ancient cars are pain in the ass, to be frank. But if you keep the option in mind, computers, injections, anti-theft electronics etc., they're ok.

Dear lord, Im not on here for 2 days and a bunch of you folks go and get yourselves hurt. Might be due to all that sunshine we had? Think about it.

Seems like a few of us were working on our rigs this weekend. I found a surprise and was kind of shocked. I couldnt figure out why my carpet was always wet on the floor board of the truck. Yesterday I started stripping molding off and pulled the carpet back. Pass side had minor surface rust and no holes. So I ruled it down to my wet ass cutting clothes just kept the carpet moist. The driver's side was a different story. Pulled back the carpet. I have a rust hole right above the frame/under the gas pedal about 6in in diameter. So much for keeping the water out. After a couple hours of wire brushing and grinding. A chopped down stop sign, half a tube of RVT and 40 rivets later the hole is fixed.

Dear lord, Im not on here for 2 days and a bunch of you folks go and get yourselves hurt. Might be due to all that sunshine we had? Think about it.

Seems like a few of us were working on our rigs this weekend. I found a surprise and was kind of shocked. I couldnt figure out why my carpet was always wet on the floor board of the truck. Yesterday I started stripping molding off and pulled the carpet back. Pass side had minor surface rust and no holes. So I ruled it down to my wet ass cutting clothes just kept the carpet moist. The driver's side was a different story. Pulled back the carpet. I have a rust hole right above the frame/under the gas pedal about 6in in diameter. So much for keeping the water out. After a couple hours of wire brushing and grinding. A chopped down stop sign, half a tube of RVT and 40 rivets later the hole is fixed.

40 rivets? And a half tube of RVT? That patch will out last the pickup. :laugh:

I finished my air bag installation. I worked very slowly and carefully...no way did I want to have to go back in there and fix anything I'd missed.

Last edited:
Yuck Bob.

What kind of carbs? I'v got some Q-jet parts, Dang E- Gas just kills the old stuff:(
Cary

40 rivets? And a half tube of RVT? That patch will out last the pickup. :laugh:

Thats what the patch is ment for. There are going to be a lot of add ons to my 88 F250 that will out last the truck. Now I just have to wait for some of that wet stuff to hit the ground to see if it keeps it out. I'm lovin the weather though.

It is an Autolite 1100, the poor thing has been noticeably deteriorating for about year, the last six months even more so. CA gas is eating not only the rubber parts, but etching the alloy as well. The rebuilt is plated inside and the rubber is a modern material that will resist what passes for fuel here. The standard carb kits still have the old style rubber and lack the power valve parts. When this rebuilt gives up, I'll be switching to another type of carb, which involves replacing the distributor as they work together as a set.

It is an Autolite 1100, the poor thing has been noticeably deteriorating for about year, the last six months even more so. CA gas is eating not only the rubber parts, but etching the alloy as well. The rebuilt is plated inside and the rubber is a modern material that will resist what passes for fuel here. The standard carb kits still have the old style rubber and lack the power valve parts. When this rebuilt gives up, I'll be switching to another type of carb, which involves replacing the distributor as they work together as a set.

Randy, y'all don't have some gas stations offering non-ethanol? We have two here that do, and they're the only stations I'll get fuel at. I pay about 10¢ a gallon more for non-ethanol though -- in my view it's worth the extra cash.

E-10 is all we have in CA, I checked Brookings Orygun, there is supposed to be real gas there.

Wow, you guys are getting screwed. You should buy your non-ethanol in OR by the barrel, and store it at the house.

Wonder how many 55 gallon barrels it would take to get you a year supply? But you're in a suburban area right? They might frown on that -- as apposed to a more rural setting.

We burn 10-12 gallons a month, a drum would last quite awhile, but the Fire Marshall would have a fit and maybe the landlord too.

That's what I figured. . . Yet another reason to live in the country -- but I realize that's not always an option for some folks.

E-10 is all we have in CA, I checked Brookings Orygun, there is supposed to be real gas there.

Yup! Brookings Orygun, its the chevron bulk plant on rail road st. thats where we get it , 92 super unleaded clean gas non E-10

Cary

BAWLS!!!!!!! The hoot Owling begins. Off the marble merlet restriction. Hello six o'clock starts with the same two hour drive.

---
I am here: Google Maps

I think the country is going to see some fire this year. . . Last year was Teaxs, now it's the East coast burning up.

I'd like to see us westsiders skip a bad fire year.

Back