The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got clicking in there? Meniscal tear? Here's hoping just a small one that will heal itself and the forces causing it didn't do any ligament damage, but there's a fine line between leaving to heal and arthroscopic surgery and if I can give one bit of advice, when the doc says stay off it, STAY THE HECK OFF IT, b/c such tears, depending where it is, may not get decent bloody supply and if the same thing only partially repairs and tears again, it's a hassle that could stay with you forever.
Personally: 18 months 2 weeks and 4 days before I could even jog 20 feet again after knee surgery - ACL with meniscus tearing. When you go from running 100 miles a week pre-injury to taking a month post-op before you can even safely walk to your letterbox, it knocks the byjesus out of your mojo. Don't be an idiot like me and try doing more than the doc or physio suggests, and also, if ever you are not happy with those charged with looking after you - docs, physios, the people at the gym helping with rehab, ask to change.

I could go on and on about this but won't. I just hope you are a good healer and the damage isn't too bad.

Thanks for the advice! My left knee was scoped in August 1999. That ended my career as a firefighter and it took 2 years before I could even kneel down. I still walk with a limp but that is because there was no chance for repair due to the severity of the tear. This one doesn't feel as bad. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the advice! My left knee was scoped in August 1999. That ended my career as a firefighter and it took 2 years before I could even kneel down. I still walk with a limp but that is because there was no chance for repair due to the severity of the tear. This one doesn't feel as bad. Wish me luck.

Luck.

Best of luck. Wishing for just a small tear located where blood can get to it and that your left knee is OK playing a more dominant role while the right one heals and the supporting muscles regain their strength quickly.

It sure sucks losing your mobility for extended periods. Call me 'sheltered' but getting over the surgery was the worst period of my life thus far. They wanted to put me on anti-depressants but i told them depression is merely anger without enthusiasm and they can call me many things but never unenthusiastic nor unmotivated. It wasn't until I 'fired' an ortho and went through two physios that I found people who either cared enough to bother or had the proper skills to 'manage' me effectively and I started to make progress. That I had to fight and kick-ass to find a path to people who knew the meaning of the word 'healer' still pisses me off, years after surgery.

Just like in so many aspects of life in general I guess - the plaque on the office wall highlighting a health practitioners degree/s is great, but to me it's nothing if they haven't the people skills to 'read' a person and use that 'read' to tailor the delivering of the skills that paper says they have to the patient. Whilst very grateful for the help, the amount of paint-by-numbers, backside covering, insincere near-robots lacking both people and communication skills in our health system was a real eye opener that I hope to never experience again any time soon.

This being the whining thread, and all.

It wasn't until I 'fired' an ortho and went through two physios that I found people who either cared enough to bother or had the proper skills to 'manage' me effectively and I started to make progress. That I had to fight and kick-ass to find a path to people who knew the meaning of the word 'healer' still pisses me off, years after surgery.

Just like in so many aspects of life in general I guess - the plaque on the office wall highlighting a health practitioners degree/s is great, but to me it's nothing if they haven't the people skills to 'read' a person and use that 'read' to tailor the delivering of the skills that paper says they have to the patient. Whilst very grateful for the help, the amount of paint-by-numbers, backside covering, insincere near-robots lacking both people and communication skills in our health system was a real eye opener that I hope to never experience again any time soon.

This being the whining thread, and all.

Ever wonder why Dr's (and lawyers) call what they do a "Practice"? :confused:

Food for thought.

Well crud. It looks like I've torn the catilage in my right knee, aka the good knee. I start physical therapy in a few days and then get a CT scan. Then the doc and I will make a decision on surgery. I'm glad I have good insurance.

Sorry to hear about your knee 2dogs. I know from the years of watching my uncle (now two fake knees) how painful things can be. You have my best wishes. Hope its only a small tear.

Good food, too. There's also the thought that somebody had to finish absolute last in their medical school class.

A's are preferred, but C's get degrees too.

But they were cheap.

That's what happened with the cutting up here. Quite a few crackheads got in during the early 90's and started underbidding the established
long-time pros that were known for doing exceptional work. Pretty soon, the lower prices the crackheads were charging became the norm and
everybody had to work cheap if they wanted to cut logs. Veterans with 20-25 years in were getting near to the same price they got in the mid
70's. Commercial thinning contractors started hiring people without an immigration status and adopted "hack and dash" techniques.

It's starting to recover now, especially with the strong export market and private land owners going back into some of the larger timber, but
it's taken 15 years.

A's are preferred, but C's get degrees too.

If I'm lying in a ditch and some knuckleheads in a meat wagon come along to tend my injuries- I hope my luck pays out that
I get the guys that worked hard and got straight A's rather than the guys who played another game of "World of Warcraft"
instead of studying. As a graduate of an EMS program, I've seen people's noxious "study habits."

I decided to save money and get exercise and also promised myself an ice cream bar. Prior to going, I put my partly loaded Camelback sucky thing in the usual little pack. I also had ice cream money, keys and phone. I went out and pulled Old Yeller out of the shop. I came back in and the Camelback sucky thing had leaked all over the counter and the pack was wet.

I got out my bigger pack after screwing the camelback lid on tighter. I put it, keys and phone in. I was well on my way when ice cream thoughts entered my brain. Then the thought of forgetting the ice cream money. Oh well so much for ice cream.

On the way back, I learned this. Be careful when sucking water out of the camelback and riding the bike. You can hit a bump and water will go down the wrong pipes and up your nose. Balance was maintained while coughing and choking, but speed will suffer.

Just one of those unavoidable chain of events. Lost one guy line and two went with it, not even pulling hard. It's the third time this yarder has gone face down. Second time with our hooktender filling in running it.

We where able to fix a grease line underneath that we couldn't normally get to.

My toaster died yesterday.

To top that, I tried to stack my wood east coast flat ground style. This is how it looked yesterday.
238661d1337363059-skinny-woodpile0001-jpg

I noticed it seemed to have settled to a precarious angle this morning. I was around getting something to try to prop it when.....
238660d1337363039-skinny-woodpile-disaster0001-jpg

One of life's oh excrement moments. :cry:View attachment 238660View attachment 238661

Last edited:
My toaster died yesterday.

To top that, I tried to stack my wood east coast flat ground style. This is how it looked yesterday.
238661d1337363059-skinny-woodpile0001-jpg

I noticed it seemed to have settled to a precarious angle this morning. I was around getting something to try to prop it when.....
238660d1337363039-skinny-woodpile-disaster0001-jpg

One of life's oh excrement moments. :cry:View attachment 238660View attachment 238661

That suxs !

Back