There goes my safety record

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I so glad your both all right. No matter how professional one is, no one can be a 100%, 100% of the time. Sometimes the stars crossand in that instant an unforeseen tragic accident can take place. Thankfully this is a learning and warning experience for all of us and your selfs, and not a tragic event. I think some times maybe were more compliant working with other professionals, then we are with less experienced people.
I often tell new crew members to always be on guard. If I dropped something on them and kill them, I may some day get over it(probably not though)but they'll still be dead. Every one is responsible for them selfs and each other. We let our guard down for one second and the unthinkable can happen. Glad it wasn't worse, I respect the way you both have handled this situation. Beastmaster

I totally went off on 2 of my guys today who kept taken there hard hats off cuz it was hot. First its off to wipe sweat...ok...then its off when they are away from tree chipping....then the hard hats are laying on HO picnic table. I thought about this post. Thats when I went off.

Thanks for sharing this with us, glad he is ok. It takes guts to share your mistakes. Even the best of us slip sometimes. these stories keep us all in check...we need to hear this.

Damn Dave,
That hat should be mounted on a wall! Glad you are OK, your hit has made me and I am sure the rest of us tighten up a bit. I can tell JPS is just tore up about it.

This is another reason I ALWAYS wear a hard hat. This Pacific Kevlar hat has saved me from many small hits, a couple medium strikes, and now saved my life.Think I will send this pic to Pacific and thank them....
JPS is the most professional treeguy I know, and I was not only skirting the DZ, but I turned my back on the climber for an instant. wrong instant, huh? :dizzy:

I shouldn't have been there, John figured I knew better and would maintain visual and I didn't.

I have been hammering it at my men, If it happens to guys with our experience, it will kill YOU especially without PPE.

been rough sleeping, the log hit drove my chin into my chest, and the soreness is finally gone.
The HO gave me a bottle of Vicodin (she broke her ankle taking pics of the storm damage from this tree earlier that week )and the lady next door, another customer, made me a VERY stiff cocktail. :biggrin: the next day? no climbing, still had to work..........

I woke up to paramedics and police and never knew what hit me. stupid ####ing mistake.:mad2:

View attachment 193079

See now? You had to go and ruin a very exspensive hat didn't you? Drink lots a water wit dem vickies.

Glad you are Ok...I can't imagine the headache you had.

I got one of those strap abrasions under my right ear on Saturday, got clobbered on the helmet...thank goodness for PPE and the discipline to wear it.
Ice feels good on the sore muscles and headache...

Thought about starting a different thread on this, but it fits the title...

Buddy/occasional client calls and asks if I have 2-3 days open next week??? that is so unlike him, must have a big job.

He says "I did something really stoooopid today, I was kicking at a root or rock while stump-grinding.... Yup, you guessed it, he did not stop the wheel, and no operator guard on the model... :eek:

Said it "turned his ankle to mush" and hurt like a bee-itch, but he got the job done and loaded the chipper. Kinda hard to walk across the lawn, but he's making do.

"Uhhh, you go to the hospital yet?"

"I might, gonna see how it goes."

"Don't be...."

He went in for surgery today, preliminary diog was at least one pin in the ankle. Good Lord, another lucky man :angel:

New hard hat was $109.........easy money to spend.

And The DAN should know ya drink lots of beer with vicodin, not water......:wink2:

Yeah but there are things one shouldn't say on a internet forum. I was trying to be couth. Good to know you are OK.

Buddy/occasional client calls and asks if I have 2-3 days open next week??? that is so unlike him, must have a big job.

He says "I did something really stoooopid today, I was kicking at a root or rock while stump-grinding.... Yup, you guessed it, he did not stop the wheel, and no operator guard on the model... :eek:

Said it "turned his ankle to mush" and hurt like a bee-itch, but he got the job done and loaded the chipper. Kinda hard to walk across the lawn, but he's making do.

"Don't be...."

He went in for surgery today, preliminary diog was at least one pin in the ankle. Good Lord, another lucky man :angel:

Mid season is the worst for accidents. We all are flying around chopping at #### with more #### we gotta chop at tommorow. Hot and tired its gets.

Thought about starting a different thread on this, but,

Do it JP, Probably be one of the best threads. I have alot to contribute to it. For a tease, My guy driving a boom truck to the job and shows up and said his brake pedal went to the floor. Start the thread and let me tell you what happened!
Jeff :msp_thumbup:

Mid season is the worst for accidents. We all are flying around chopping at #### with more #### we gotta chop at tommorow. Hot and tired its gets.

So true, go go go, thats all we do! between the work and bids and then trying to keep it all in order with the books:dizzy:

Do it JP, Probably be one of the best threads. I have alot to contribute to it. For a tease, My guy driving a boom truck to the job and shows up and said his brake pedal went to the floor. Start the thread and let me tell you what happened!
Jeff :msp_thumbup:

I don't know, that sounds like the perfect anecdote to go along with my buddys. Unless you want to start one "stupid things my employees did" :laugh:

"Don't be...."

Miraculous...besides the shear physics, you see what a grinder does and wonder why anyone is willing to get near it.

For me, maybe it's from growing up on a farm and working around PTO shafts and what not, but I can visualize the no go zone easily. We had a man named Kirby in the community we farmed in, he got too close to a PTO shaft and it caught his overalls and stripped him of them. He was a giant of a man and the overalls must have been worn or lightly made....not everyone walks away from that just to get another pair of pants.

Same dynamic, everyone pushing so hard at harvest time, I can tell some terrible stories where the luck ran dry. We were lucky many times and I'm humbled by that blessing. At the same time, we also had these stickers of a prosthetic hand with one word "THINK" in almost every piece of equipment. A great deal was avoided on purpose.

It is amazing what people do, the guy was a tool & die man in a previous life; so he ain't stupid. He goes in tomorrow for the cutting, and they are putting two screws in, minimum six weeks of down time.

Feast and famine routine, it's been so slow here many of my occasional clients have not been answering my calls. Now I'm to work for him 2-3 days a week, I helped another work up a bid for clearing a 60 degree slope on the Lake Bluff (Shorewood/Fox Point area) and Several others want to "look at my schedule". The funny thing is the ones who did not work me get upset when those who carried me through get priority. I even left messages a few months back "if you want me to be there for you, you need to throw me a bone now and then".

It is amazing what people do, the guy was a tool & die man in a previous life; so he ain't stupid. He goes in tomorrow for the cutting, and they are putting two screws in, minimum six weeks of down time.

Feast and famine routine, it's been so slow here many of my occasional clients have not been answering my calls. Now I'm to work for him 2-3 days a week, I helped another work up a bid for clearing a 60 degree slope on the Lake Bluff (Shorewood/Fox Point area) and Several others want to "look at my schedule". The funny thing is the ones who did not work me get upset when those who carried me through get priority. I even left messages a few months back "if you want me to be there for you, you need to throw me a bone now and then".

I hear ya.

Can't stand it when I get calls, then I call back to return the message....nothing, call again a couple days later to follow up, nothing. After that I'm done. When they call back they're at the bottom of the list no matter what. I can work with anybody as long as there is at least communication.

A few months ago was dreadfully slow for the cold and rainy spring, May was much better, and June was a blitz that flowed into July. Which was good because July was ghost town month around here, nothing but the sound of A/Cs and Central Air units. Might as well been the dead of winter. Temps drop 10 degrees or so and the phone's ringing again. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back