Thick spider webs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartpukas

Reaction score
I am so confused and concerned about my oak tree. I just noticed this terrible thick web like material covering an entire limb of the tree. I sprayed it with a hose and it is gone but what is it? Also, I had an arborist tell me that the tree is on its way out and that there is nothing I can do for it. I feel so helpless because other that the weblike substance I also noticed an entire limb that looks as if it has been pecked to nothingness from one of the many woodpeckers that hang out in the tree or maybe termites. I doubt the termites because there are no other signs of termites on the tree. thanks for your input!

First thing that comes to mind is bag worms, but I don't think they are very common on oaks....?

As for why the tree is dying, it is hard to say.

Does it look like the tree is dying from the top down? If so, that indicates a root problem.

Is one side of the tree dead? Could be some other problem.

Is it individual limbs in random areas of the tree? Hard to say, since we don't have it here (yet), but it could be oak wilt, I'm not too familiar with it.

Where is the tree located on the property? Near a street that was just paved? Was a new water/sewer line just installed nearby? Or something similiar?

How big is the tree? What type of oak? Red, white, live, swamp??

What reason did the arborist give for it declining?
Too many questions to give a good answer as to why.

Dan

The thick webs on the trunk or main branches are caused by psocids, aka bark lice. They are not harmful to the tree.

As for the woodpeckers, they will not kill a tree. You probably had some dead limbs already and the woodpeckers just show up for snack now and then.

I recommend you get a certfied arborist to look at your tree.

Westenberger Tree Service in Clearwater may service your area. Ask for Loren when you call and tell him I referred you. He's the best there is in your area.

Latest posts

Back