Thieves...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing stolen recently, but I had my top model Stihl blower "walk" from one job site and a pruning saw head and blade from another last year.

(insert violent daydream here)

I live in a relatively small town, and almost never lock up; I leave my wallet and keys in the truck while up a tree, pay envelops on the desk of my office/shop if I will be out when my crew is done on payday.

I will probably change all that if I get hit again. What gets me is yes, people are struggling, but if someone wanted to split some wood or clean my gutters I would pay them (umm, make an exception to only having one set of books). But no one has ever approached me!

The closest I have gotten to someone wanting to do a little work for money is kids wanting to shovel my walk (pretty rare, too -- they would rather flip burgers or go skiing or something?) or, once when I was driving into NYC, the "squeege guys" came over to my car, but I got away before they could wipe a dirty rag on my window and demand money:msp_biggrin:

What gives?

(insert another rant here)

I have talked with other "liberals" as well as "conservatives", and there is broad agreement that we should bring back public shaming for petty theft. Ideas included cleaning the streets with a sign on, to stocks and rotten fruit, to driving a thief out in the woods with some scary guys and leaving the jerk there -- lesson given that he got off easy this time.:msp_rolleyes:

My dad has told (and retold) a story to me about being poor and keeping your integrity. he worked his way through school and rolled his own cigs -- from butts he cleaned up in the dining hall. Once someone bummed one and they about had a seizure from the tar and nicotine!:msp_biggrin: he would also live on a diet of canned beans and spam (couldn't afford the meal plan). He had a room-mate who caught squirrels in snares on campus and ate them.

Point is, your own integrity is priceless and is worth more than money. My Dad and many in his generation started with very little and were successful in life. Same holds true today. I actually returned $30 to a client that overpaid (i scrawled on the field contract form). I am sure he was surprised, but should not have been

Rant alert :msp_scared:

Over and out

Point is, your own integrity is priceless and is worth more than money. My Dad and many in his generation started with very little and were successful in life. Same holds true today. I actually returned $30 to a client that overpaid (i scrawled on the field contract form). I am sure he was surprised, but should not have been

I was in Kohl's a couple of months ago with my daughter and bought an item with cash. I had the receipt and change in my hand and when I got to the car I realized I had a dollar too much. Went back in the store and gave it back to the cashier, he was certainly surprised to have that happen. I told my daughter it was not my money and in all likelihood the clerk would have had to cover the drawer shortage. I hope I made an impression on her.

Yep THIEVES are out there smiling and acting friendly like little angels talking out of the back of their necks. Some work on your saws and remove parts WITHOUT asking and put different parts on without telling you and hoping you never notice. Beware they are out there. :msp_wink:

PM if you want to know who to not let touch your saws.

Last edited:
A favorite target are garage door remotes. They almost always provide access to a home and allow for goods to be loaded into a vehicle without any prying eyes taking notice. If you have one in your car find a spot other than the visor or console to hide it.

I hope I made an impression on her.

I'm certain you did, and a good one at that!

We recently had what I would consider a relatively large mistake in our favor. They wound up giving us the newest model of an item, and we had purchased the previous model because it was on sale. We phoned right away, but they said it wasn't worth their while to mess with shipping us the older model and a shipping label for the new one.

What surprises me most about things like that is the number of people who look at you like you were crazy when you try to make something like that right.

Cashed my payroll check at a Bank Drive In Window. Male cashier gave me $20 too much. I parked in sight of his window, and took the envelope of money back to him. You could see he was getting apprehensive. I shoved the envelope into the window and said I think you gave me too much money. He counted it, pulled the extra $20, and very humbly said "thank you", as I smiled and took my cash.

Been having a couple that live about 3 miles from me stealing produce out of my fields. Hitting my strawberry patch a few years ago. Figured out what was going on and sent word out I knew they were doing it. Hit my field this year and took a pickup load of pumpkins from the guy renting the ground. Wife was showing up at the produce auction I attend and was keeping her eye on me while her POS husband robbed us. Trail cams up next year. Heard from a little bird that coffee grounds speed up decomposition. Had a chainsaw stolen off my porch while my step-daughter and wife were home. KNEW they did it, but the police didn't find it when the talked to them about it. So nothing could be done. Cop told me there's something to be said for a deep pipe, coffee grounds and lime.:msp_angry:

Here in the forest and at my ranch where my shop is...If someone so much as steps foot on my land in these times I will blow you're head clean off and gut you like an elk no matter what time of day it is. Can't wait for the Mayan calender to happen I have lots of camo:rock:

That's the way life is around here too. NO "law enforcers". Wild West!

I'm certain you did, and a good one at that!

We recently had what I would consider a relatively large mistake in our favor. They wound up giving us the newest model of an item, and we had purchased the previous model because it was on sale. We phoned right away, but they said it wasn't worth their while to mess with shipping us the older model and a shipping label for the new one.

What surprises me most about things like that is the number of people who look at you like you were crazy when you try to make something like that right.

I got called several bad names recently when the vending machine at work popped out two bags of chips and I paid the vending guy for the extra bag the next day!
I just felt like he probably needed that 75 cents worse than I did, and I wouldn't think about whether or not I was a thief for 75 cents!
Amazed me how people would keep something that wasn't theirs, and call me names for not doing the same!:dizzy:

Mike

ya know ill probly start a fight for even saying this but what was so wrong with public hangings and public humiliation for lesser crimes? i know we like to say we are a civilized nation but we are treating the people that are breaking laws better than we treat our vets or elderly in some cases. 3 hot meals, a bed, clothing service... there was far less crime when there was a really good chance of being hung for stealing (horses, cattle, equipment, whatever). and if you broke into someones house to steal something theres a good chance they would shoot you and then more than likely not tell anybody. if the police did get involved they would have a beer over it and celebrate that the man saved his family. Now im not sayin these guys should be sentenced to hang for stealing but they should be punished more so for the intimidation with a bat and involving the guys wife. capitol punishment is still a dang good way to scare people straight.

Public whipping:msp_scared:

Public whipping:msp_scared:

Just across the Arkansas river in Fort Smith, stands the Court House of Judge Isaac Parker, the hanging-est judge of the West. It was so wild around Fort Smith the government told Parker to clean the mess up. Judge Parker built a large gallows that would hang 6 men at a time. He hired some of the toughest lawmen known then, and they went to work. Parker hanged 160 men during his years in Fort Smith. Some of the outlaws were mean as snakes and only 18 years old. One in particular, I think they called him Bill, stood with the rope around his neck sneering at the people, and said "I see you all in Hell". Crowds of people came from miles, and spread dinner on the grounds waiting to see those hangings.

Inside the Court House as late as the early 60's, they had many guns of those outlaws with their names listed below each gun on display. Colts, and Remingtons to name a few. Most hand guns were nothing special and in need of repair and cleaning, but there were some nice pieces in the mix. The jail was below the Court House underground. It was small low ceiling, 10x20(may be exaggerated) main room at the foot of the stairway leading down to it. In the middle of the floor was a old woodburning stove, and the stovepipe going up through the ceiling. Across the room was a little hallway with two or three cells on each side. No furniture, and dark like a dungeon.

A long time ago they would cut the hand off of a thief so that everyone that saw him would know his crime. He didn't do it more than twice too. and not too long ago parents used to teach their kids to respect other people and to work for their own wage. I don't know what is happening now a days. And I am only thirty three.
Nick.

Latest posts

Back