Think you know how to start a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get why more people don't buy the saws with the easy start system, stihl makes them too if she wanted a stihl. I can start my 62cc Chinese saw with my pinky finger holding the pull start, they pull over that easy. Once you get used to the easy, slow, long pull method these saws start with you can start it in awkward spots real easy.
Im a large guy so pulling a pull start safely isn't an issue for me but for some smaller folks drop starting or this wild method is the only way they can pull the saw over quickly enough to start it.

I don't get why more people don't buy the saws with the easy start system, stihl makes them too if she wanted a stihl. I can start my 62cc Chinese saw with my pinky finger holding the pull start, they pull over that easy. Once you get used to the easy, slow, long pull method these saws start with you can start it in awkward spots real easy.
Im a large guy so pulling a pull start safely isn't an issue for me but for some smaller folks drop starting or this wild method is the only way they can pull the saw over quickly enough to start it.

I about ripped the cord out of a saw and punched myself the first time one of those "easy start" showed up at the shop to get worked on.

My first thought was the saw was shot, had no compression!

There is a difference even between 'drop starting' (discouraged) and the 'throw starting' that she demonstrates (even less control). Read her husband's comments on the YouTube site, and you will see a common, 'we've been cutting this way for xxx years and nobody has been hurt (yet)' refrain. Along with, 'all that safety stuff gets in your way' comments.

'Brooke' says she is not unaware of 'safety'; she wears her sunglasses (rated?) and leather gloves, and has a scrap of leather near the tang of the file she struggles with. Yet the video proudly declares that she 'Replaced anti-kickback chain with aggressive chain', and shows her; bracing a moving log she is cutting with one foot, while pulling the saw towards her other foot; wading through a brush pile, dragging wood, with the chainsaw in the other hand, and the chain brake not engaged; cutting with her hair braids swinging inches from the running saw; etc.

She may be a very experienced woodswoman, but has survived on luck. 'Sh*t happens' mentality when someone does get hurt.

Philbert

There is a difference even between 'drop starting' (discouraged) and the 'throw starting' that she demonstrates (even less control). Read her husband's comments on the YouTube site, and you will see a common, 'we've been cutting this way for xxx years and nobody has been hurt (yet)' refrain. Along with, 'all that safety stuff gets in your way' comments.

'Brooke' says she is not unaware of 'safety'; she wears her sunglasses (rated?) and leather gloves, and has a scrap of leather near the tang of the file she struggles with. Yet the video proudly declares that she 'Replaced anti-kickback chain with aggressive chain', and shows her; bracing a moving log she is cutting with one foot, while pulling the saw towards her other foot; wading through a brush pile, dragging wood, with the chainsaw in the other hand, and the chain brake not engaged; cutting with her hair braids swinging inches from the running saw; etc.

She may be a very experienced woodswoman, but has survived on luck. 'Sh*t happens' mentality when someone does get hurt.

Philbert
Well gents, personally I take my hat off to her. Go buy the saw, fuel it up,start and get cutting. load into trailer, take to stack, split where necessary, stack and go back for more still smiling. I bet she cooks venison well too. However you look at it, he's going to be warm and well fed. If you have a gripe with that, good luck with it.
Full marks to her from me !

Lot of us have survived Philbert, a lot of us.
Survivor bias

'During World War II, statistician Abraham Wald took survivorship bias into his calculations when considering how to minimize bomber losses to enemy fire. Researchers had conducted a study of the damage done to aircraft that had returned from missions, and had recommended that armor be added to the areas that showed the most damage. Wald noted that the study only considered the aircraft that had survived their missions—the bombers that had been shot down were not present for the damage assessment.' (edited from Wikipedia)

Similarly, with dead loggers.

Philbert

She makes money from being a woman who does a mans job (shoddy).
She isn't posting that because she wants to educate or motivate.
She posts because she wants people to click those affiliate links. Pretending to show personal stories.

I also like the attitude. Sure!

But she posts those video's for everybody to see. God forbid, somebody will take her "professional" advice. And cut her or his legs off.
Her style is not far off, tapping the rakkers off with a hammer.
I'm a feminist. I don't care if she is a girl or a guy.
Nobody should put video's online where chainsaws and amateurism is mixed.
And if one of you would see somebody do that ****, I think you are obliged to educate them. Who cares if you step on someones toos if it can safe a leg or a life.
We're not talking about using the humbolt or open face notches.
We are talking about cutting in a very unstable position without any protection, pointing your saw to your own foot.
We are talking about shaving of the rackers with a coarse basterd file.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lot of us have survived Philbert, a lot of us. I've done all that stuff all my life (not the braids) and have only one small scar to show for it and I have a lot of scars from other stuff, if I don't hold wood with one foot it don't get cut, can't have that!

I’m sure we’ve all done a lot of stupid stuff in our time. Decades ago a buddy of mine bought some ancient scuba gear at a garage sale and gave it to me. The tank was still full and I managed to pick up an ill fitting wetsuit and some fins somewhere and then went out and tried scuba diving for the first time, (solo of course). I didn’t kill myself, but I very well could have and had I posted videos of myself doing it on YouTube then I would have deserved to have been called out on my stupidity.

Back