Thinking about a DHT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think DHT was great but may be outgrowing their support infrastructure, so beware. I have two of their splitters, but may not have them much longer if support doesn't get back to what it was. Msg me if you want details.

How about sending me a message so we can take care of any concern you have? We always make sure the customer is taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very seldom look at Dealer support when I buy stuff new. I can fix pretty much anything or can get it fixed so I look for simple designed stuff that I can buy at a reasonable price and customize to my needs. Extended warranty, not for me. If I screw up and buy a lemon it's likely my fault and not the manufacturer, I should have done more research before I purchased.
I don't know why there isn't more 36" splitters on the market. Really doesn't have to be much stronger built than a 24" one and most guys expect a longer cycle time for a 36" stroke so motor and pump wouldn't have to be much bigger.
That said DHT seems to follow up on any issues as far as I can see.

From that last pic there it doesn't look there are too many more trees to split around there! :D

Yeah, not many.... trees are not native to the area of CO that I live in. Trees around here were planted by farmers after the dust bowl days in the 1930's,, so trees are only found around farms steads as wind breaks and erosion control. No forests around here :(

On about my 4th 4way wedge between the 22 and 28 ton. Detent ball fails on the cross pin and the cross pin slides part way out. I was able to catch it for about a cord but missed it once and the 4way wedge twisted, weld cracked and bent wedge. Definitely not impressed with the 4way wedge system. Emailed and called customer service- afraid they are getting too big as I haven't gotten a response.

Also, don't bother with the splitter cover- it lasted less than 1 year.

On about my 4th 4way wedge between the 22 and 28 ton. Detent ball fails on the cross pin and the cross pin slides part way out. I was able to catch it for about a cord but missed it once and the 4way wedge twisted, weld cracked and bent wedge. Definitely not impressed with the 4way wedge system. Emailed and called customer service- afraid they are getting too big as I haven't gotten a response.

Also, don't bother with the splitter cover- it lasted less than 1 year.

Please send me a PM with pictures of your failed 4 way. I wish we were getting "TOO BIG" :)

We have a new version of the way way coming out late spring / early summer.

I can appreciate that in hardwood country but the toughest stuff I'll be splitting is knotty pine and the occasional twisted yard maple. I know that a 27t will literally cut right through an aspen log placed perpendicular to the wedge and it never stopped on anything I split. If I can save some decent coin and have a faster processing machine that works for me.

Ok.... I'm not going to try to talk you into a Supersplit... But I will try to talk you out of spending money.

If you goal is speed... You're better off sticking with hand splitting. You will find yourself waiting for the splitter to run its cycles. That was my primary reason for selling my 22t TSC splitter and passing up the free rental of a buddies Timberwolf 22t splitter. Standing there waiting for the ram to complete its cycle wore me out.

Now.... that's not to say that you wont find some benefit in a hydraulic splitter... But don't count on one of those benefits being speed if you're used to hand splitting. Especially those soft woods you have an abundance of.

Oh... if you do end up buying.. either get or build a table.... I got the table with my SS and built an additional table thats about 4x6. So much more productive.

Back