Thinking about a Stihl Wood Boss 028 AV Electronic Quick Stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpilot83

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm trying to pick up a reasonably priced quality saw for use around the farm. It honestly would not see much use most years although there would be an occasional opportunity to clean out a windbreak or something along those lines that might give it a workout.

I have found a Stihl Wood Boss 028 AV Electronic Quickstop locally and the guy is asking $200. I have not gone to look at it yet. I have read a lot of threads about the 028. It sounds like the older ones are WB's and the newer ones are Supers and the AV's are generally in between. I haven't read much of anything about the Electronic Quickstop or even the "Wood Boss" aspect.

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of the age and value of the saw before I go look at it.

The obvious (to me anyway) alternative is to get an Echo CS-590 Timberwolf for $400. However I have no local Echo dealer other than an Orshelens that sells them but does not service them. Realistically that's no different than the Stihl although I think I would only have to drive 1.25 hours for a Stihl dealer versus 2.5 hours for an Echo dealer.

My last choice I would have much interest in (although really I probably just would not do this) is a Dolmar because that's the only way to get a decent local dealer. However for what I'm using them for a Dolmar that is comparable to the Timberwolf is just WAY too much money.

Other choices I would rather not do but may be more practical might be to get some less known brands new.

I guess the first order of business is to evaluate the 028 though.

Does "Wood Boss" help any in determining age or engine size (I understand there are several sizes). What about Electronic Quickstop?

Is a saw like that worth $200 assuming it has decent compression, runs and cuts?

How old might it be?

Anything else I should be observing or asking about when I look at it?

For what it's worth I feel like I understand the theory of two stroke carbs and do most of my own equipment repair on the farm so I'm not so sure how big of a deal it is to have a nearby dealer. On the other hand I am pretty frustrated with my Echo weed trimmer since I cannot adjust the high side mixture without a special tool that no one sells so a dealer would be nice for some things.

Anyway, I would sure appreciate any advice, thanks!

IMG_7082.jpg

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7085.PNG

Dont quote me on this, but I think Wood Boss is just a title. I just got an 028 AV electronic quickstop and I absolutley love it with a 16" bar. I believe its a 47cc saw. For what you say you have to do that saw sounds great. Does your saw have a side tensioner or front? Working chain brake? Serial Number? These will help determine age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm following this thread, I'm curious myself. I just inherited a like new 028 WB myself. It seems to be more modern than the 032 av or electronic quick stop i have. Haven't run it yet as I've only had it 3 days and I want to service it before using it. I don't know anything about the saw yet other than it fire's right up.

Thanks. Do you have specific recommendations that are a good value in that thread? I know nothing about pretty much any saws other than what I have read on the Echo 590 and the Stihl 028. Are some of the Husky's for sale there pretty decent?

dpilot I would not go with a husky. My dad had a husky and it broke 2 starter recoils, a chain brake, and a split oil tank with minimal use. If you can afford it I would reccomend a Stihl Ms 271 Farm Boss. I have that saw and its been the nicest and easiest saw to use ive ever seen. Its a great construction and reliability for the price point and for whay you do it would be great. I cant speak highly enough of it.
546c8ad872c7f7aba2cfa00c6da7db5f.jpg

I love my 028, and I think it would do exactly what you're asking of it. The price is normal in my neck of the woods. Not a bargain, but not a rip. Fair. Easy saws to work on. Parts are just starting to get "not easy" to find. Still tons of them, just not as plentiful as they were 5 years ago. However, aftermarket parts are starting to appear for it, so you're likely good to go on that front.

I'd rather have an 028 than a modern clamshell with fixed tuning right on the edge of too lean. My $0.02

Does your saw have a side tensioner or front? Working chain brake? Serial Number? These will help determine age.

Thanks. It's not my saw yet, lol, I haven't even looked at it. If I do go look at it I'll make sure to look into them. Is it newer if it has a front or a side tensioner?

A side tensioner means its a newer model. The images show it does not. It does have a chain brake, not sure if the early ones didnt or did. If the serial number starts with 1, its made in germany. Not sure after that

I love my 028, and I think it would do exactly what you're asking of it. The price is normal in my neck of the woods. Not a bargain, but not a rip. Fair. Easy saws to work on. Parts are just starting to get "not easy" to find. Still tons of them, just not as plentiful as they were 5 years ago. However, aftermarket parts are starting to appear for it, so you're likely good to go on that front.

I'd rather have an 028 than a modern clamshell with fixed tuning right on the edge of too lean. My $0.02

Not being able to find parts is somewhat concerning to me. I'm not excited at the prospect of having to search for hours on end on the internet to find what I need.

On the other hand, I like the idea of not being able to adjust the mixture even less. What is a "modern clamshell"? Is the Stihl 271 something that does not have an adjustable mixture? What about the Echo 590?

[

On the other hand, I like the idea of not being able to adjust the mixture even less. What is a "modern clamshell"? Is the Stihl 271 something that does not have an adjustable mixture? What about the Echo 590?

I believe a modern clamshell means the cylinder is bolted to 2 plastic cases that bolt together. In other words, a plastic case vs a metal case. Plastic is a little heavier, but still very robust. Ms 271 is plastic, 028 is metal. Not sure about Echo 590, but believe its plastic.
The Ms271 does not have an adjustabe mixture. It takes 50-1 mix. Not sure about the 590, assume its 50-1 mix as well.

A side tensioner means its a newer model. The images show it does not.

Thanks. Do you or does anyone know about when they switched from front to side tensioner?

For what it's worth the last time I talked to him I told him I would really rather not have more than $150 in it after fixing anything that needed to be fixed. That essentially means I will not get it unless I raise my offer if I were to guess

Clamshell means it doesn't have a cylinder-only portion of the saw. The cylinder is molded/cast such that its bottom is also where the bearings rest. I'm my experience, they're a bigger pain to work on. They also, as a broad, sweeping generalization, are not a "pro-level" saw. They're not built to the same durability level as a pro saw. (I just laid the tinder for a whole bunch of flame posts.)

If I'm not mistaken, the 271 is a clamshell. Echo I know nothing about.

Clamshell means it doesn't have a cylinder-only portion of the saw. The cylinder is molded/cast such that its bottom is also where the bearings rest. I'm my experience, they're a bigger pain to work on. They also, as a broad, sweeping generalization, are not a "pro-level" saw. They're not built to the same durability level as a pro saw. (I just laid the tinder for a whole bunch of flame posts.)

If I'm not mistaken, the 271 is a clamshell. Echo I know nothing about.

OK, so I read through one thread where a guy straight gassed his saw and had to replace the cylinder and piston (maybe only one or the other, I don't remember). Anyway, part of the process was pulling the cylinder. You're saying on a clamshell saw you would be replacing the entire engine essentially instead?

OK, so I read through one thread where a guy straight gassed his saw and had to replace the cylinder and piston (maybe only one or the other, I don't remember). Anyway, part of the process was pulling the cylinder. You're saying on a clamshell saw you would be replacing the entire engine essentially instead?
Willing to say that 80 percent of the entire saw has to be disassembled to remove and rebuild a clamshell. Where as if you know Your saw a piston and cylinder can be replaced in a non clamshel in a couple hours.

I see a Stihl 391 saw on the classifieds for around $400. Looks like mixture is adjustable on it. Would probably hold its value well for me since it's a current model? I assume that would be a better deal than well over $400 for a new 271? Would it be a better deal than $400+tax on an Echo 590?

Echo 590 is almost 60 cc.
Stihl 391 is 64.1 cc.

I would stick with a stihl over echo, more quality means less dealer visits. If you could get a 391 for $400 that would be a great deal, around me there $650 with tax.

I would stick with a stihl over echo, more quality means less dealer visits. If you could get a 391 for $400 that would be a great deal, around me there $650 with tax.

The 391 is used on the classified ads of this forum. Looks like 391's are clamshells as well though.

Latest posts

Back