Thinking about making the jump and need some advise.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD-tech-NH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been working as a technician for the last 10 years. Heating with wood the last four. Eight years commercial construction before that. I have a good friend that has just been handed down the family tree business. He has approached me to join his crew of two. My wife has an excellent job. I am sick of turning wrenches and have been looking for a change. I have also flirted with the idea of getting in to tree work for the last couple of years. What should I ask him? Should I make the jump? Need some advise!

If you wanna lose a good friend then start working for him. If you dont think that can happen or maybe you dont care then I guess go for it. Just dont burn any bridges. Nice avatar.

making the jump

work for him part time, if possible. Get a feel for it then make your decision. Tree work is not for everybody. good luck

I went to the school of Nike Management.......Just Do It!!!

You sound like you're at that point, when you're ready for it. Learn all you can, be very careful for you and your family and enjoy.

Not everybodys a climber. Find your niche and be the best at it.

My plan was to start as soon as work picks up and give it my all until end of July. That way I can fall back on wrenching before the season ends if need be. I plan to sit down with him later this week to talk business. What should I ask him to get an idea of the integrity of his business?

Last edited:
Why not! I would say work your way in slowly get a feel for things. He might be looking for an extra guy hauling brush, not all that fun but it is a start. Learn as much as you can. You say he is a good friend, he is looking at you as an employee but also somebody he can trust. That's how I feel about the friends I have brought in.

Why not! I would say work your way in slowly get a feel for things. He might be looking for an extra guy hauling brush, not all that fun but it is a start. Learn as much as you can. You say he is a good friend, he is looking at you as an employee but also somebody he can trust. That's how I feel about the friends I have brought in.

Any regrets?

Any regrets?

What having friends work for me? No, not really I have some I'll call back and some that are still friends not employees. I find when working for a friend some people think they can just stand around and take it easy. If I am payin get movin on the job friendship ends at the property line. The friends that can work like that are the ones that get call backs. If you are thinking partnership I would advise against that unless you two handle two very different tasks. Such as he cuts and you do the books and the paperwork. You would have to have an understanding and accept each others roll in the biz and leave it at that.

Depends what type of equipment he has. lol There's a lot of things to be worried about with working for/with a friend, as well as tree work in general not being all it's made out to be. I'm a little concerned about guys who get "handed" anything. A lot of good companies fail when the second generation takes the reigns. Does he actually know the work and business end of things or did he only have a "job" because daddy owned the business?

Depends what type of equipment he has. lol There's a lot of things to be worried about with working for/with a friend, as well as tree work in general not being all it's made out to be. I'm a little concerned about guys who get "handed" anything. A lot of good companies fail when the second generation takes the reigns. Does he actually know the work and business end of things or did he only have a "job" because daddy owned the business?

Damn good point!

See this is what I meant. How do I get the answers to these questions without stepping on his toes? Partner is what my ultimate goal would be. I am in no way looking fora job as a laborer. Don't get me wrong I am in no way scared of the work. But I have never had a job where I didn't strive to be the best.

See this is what I meant. How do I get the answers to these questions without stepping on his toes? Partner is what my ultimate goal would be. I am in no way looking fora job as a laborer. Don't get me wrong I am in no way scared of the work. But I have never had a job where I didn't strive to be the best.

Blakesmaster beat me to the punch. His point is very valid, I've seen it too many times.

Don't worry about stepping on his toes, ask the questions you need answers to. You are making a career decision here. Be upfront. If you are thinking "partner", then let him know, he may be thinking otherwise. If he's a good friend, he'll appreciate your honesty. If not, it is better to know it now.

You have to stop being his friend and become his employee. I don't know if that is possible though. It might be but is it something you want to do?

Blakesmaster beat me to the punch. His point is very valid, I've seen it too many times.

Don't worry about stepping on his toes, ask the questions you need answers to. You are making a career decision here. Be upfront. If you are thinking "partner", then let him know, he may be thinking otherwise. If he's a good friend, he'll appreciate your honesty. If not, it is better to know it now.

Great advise. Thanks

Latest posts

Back