Saw chain sharpening costs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 wrangler

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I retired from a repair shop eight years ago. I have always sharpened my own chains. Now the shop where I worked has closed. What are the average costs of sharpening loops of chain today. Reason for asking, I have been asked to sharpen chain from former customers and since I have been out of the "loop" for quite awhile, what should I charge?
Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance.

I believe the local stihl dealer is $5 each. Once a year each Fall he runs a special and I believe it is $3 but it might be 2 weeks before he gets to the hundreds and hundreds that are dropped off. He also is much cheaper on new chain. They simply are a family, in a family oriented community, and treat folks like family. It has worked well for them. Others should try that

Some of that $ difference is automatic grinders vs manual grinders. Few of the dealers around here have automatic grinders. They are cheaper per chain then the dealers/home guys doing it with a manual grinder. I've seen prices range from $5.00 to $12.00. Some charge more once you get over a certain chain length.

Well out in high-cost-of-living coastal CA the local shop tend to charge 50% of what a new chain costs. I think this is partly because they are the only shop serving a large area with many commercial tree and landscape services constantly dropping off items to be repaired plus tons of homeowner stuff. But still, 50% of new chain cost is pretty steep and I'm guessing they mostly get homeowners and the most casual of users.

My local dealer charged $5 per 16"-20" loop and $ 7 per 24" loop off the saw. That is last year prices, I haven't taken any to him this year. He was very prompt, and if I only had 3 or 4 loops he'd do them while I waited and talked to his shop dog. If I dropped off more, I usually volunteered to stop back next day. I'm sure he isn't getting rich at these prices, but it's a good bet I'd be picking up some bar oil or mix oil at the same time. And, I buy my new loops there. I probably will not need a new saw in the rest of my sawing days, but if I did, I'd buy that there too. My guess, he understands that his customers come to him for all their chainsawing products and maintenance, and he would prefer it stay that way.

It used to be when they had their sale I would buy a couple thousand dollars worth of chain. That was until the Stihl distributor told them to tell me to cool it a bit. I was paying $12 a loop for 20" 33RS-72 and $20 for 36" .404 loops. Man those were great days

Back