Thinking about stump grinding....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just trying to let the OP know that there are expenses involved with owning a stump grinder.

Yeah, like not taking care of your machine.
Are you serious?
Jeff

I take really good care of my machine. I don't see what your not getting. Even the best maintained machine wheres out. Just trying to give the guy a heads up.

Settle down there hothead. Having a bad day or something ?:laugh:

I disagree on your "stump grinders are low maintenance" opinion. The cost to replace teeth and cutter head bearings is pretty high and it takes some time to do it. Changing oil, cleaning air filters, and greasing everything also takes time and cost a few bucks.

I agree on your pricing though. Why beat up the machine, only to make less than what you would make working for someone else? I try to make $100. per hour ( going by the hour meter ). I'll lower the price if there's a days work involved. Doing it as a side job allows you to pick and choose the jobs you take. I only take the good stuff.

Thanks Bruce, that was my point to the OP also. I got the impression he was looking at stump grinding as a bus, so why work for hourley wages. Even a part time bus you still need a tow vehicle, trailer for a self propelled, 2 sets of tags and insurance (for the vehicles), etc. I think that's where a lot of new guys get into trouble. Even working a 2 times your current hourley rate, as a bus, you might be operating at a loss.

I think you missed one little word in my statement about mainenance. I said "by nature of what they do they are NOT low maintenance". So we agree on that too. My Vermeer 630A is an early to mid 70's machine. It has been very durable. But, all of the filters, oil, grease, teeth, belts, have to be cared for daily. If you get lazy, you're gonna ruin an expensive piece of equipment. My 66 Fury convertible gets about 2 thousand mile a year put on it. I change the oil in the spring, check the points and plugs, and then drive it for the good months of the year. Now that's low maintenance, Joe.

Get the biggest self propelled grinder you can afford. The 25 hp machines are ok ,but they are slower.

does anyone have any recommendations for dealers in the new england area? im from connecticut, about 25 minutes east of hartford. i dont really have a brand preference, im just looking for a dependable machine. whats a good price for a used one? i know it varies on hours and how old it is.

does anyone have any recommendations for dealers in the new england area? im from connecticut, about 25 minutes east of hartford. i dont really have a brand preference, im just looking for a dependable machine. whats a good price for a used one? i know it varies on hours and how old it is.

I smell spam! New England or Hawaii? Spam
Jeff:spam:

Latest posts

Back