Thinning in Nat'l Park

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 1980's we would go into Yosemite and log every spring, we would remove hazard trees mostly and diseased trees, they have lots of red root rot, we would take 10 loads + a day out for a couple weeks. We would do the same thing every spring in what is now Sequoia National Monument and the still Sierra Natl. Forest. We used skidders mostly and skidded right down the roads, we were taking lots of big trees, some so big we would push with another skidder on flat roads. Now we don't work in the spring to protect something, the something changes by were you are. We spent the earlier months pushing snow, we use to work darn near year round, we got along well with the NPS, they would even plow my drive way when they came thru, we did lots of reciprocal work with them.

It's a "Pay me now or pay me later" dilemma. Wait 100 years, and stem exclusion will do the thinning without human aid. Of course, with all those downed woody fuels, it's likely that a fire or two will accelerate the process. Scenic views? Not my area of expertise. Either way, that forest will have fewer but larger trees in the future. Can't say that I'm too concerned one way or another.

So, I learned something new.

I was living near Helena when Yellowstone burned in late 80's. There was a large fire south east of Helena that yr as well.

It's a "Pay me now or pay me later" dilemma. Wait 100 years, and stem exclusion will do the thinning without human aid. Of course, with all those downed woody fuels, it's likely that a fire or two will accelerate the process. Scenic views? Not my area of expertise. Either way, that forest will have fewer but larger trees in the future. Can't say that I'm too concerned one way or another.

Yup.

Latest posts

Back