Thirteen-year-old running his first saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, glad you have chaps and helmet etc.

Few suggestions.
Clear the area your cutting, get rid of the logs around what your cutting, dont need the bar tip to hit whats on the other side, and the piece that your left foot is against is getting in your way, and not allowing safe and good work position, your leaning way over and not in good control of the saw.
Dont walk up to the log revving the saw, let it idle, chain brake on, then get in position, remove brake, then throttle, then cut.
Saw sounded cold, and hesitant to rev up, let it warm up at idle till its able to rev up cleanly, same with after cutting, let it idle and cool off a bit.
If saw was warm, and its behaving like that, you need to at least find out why, and start with a carb kit and correct tune and go from there.

Good to see you out and enjoying saws, now is the time to get into safe and good habits on how to handle them and use them too.

Ok, glad you have chaps and helmet etc.

Few suggestions.
Clear the area your cutting, get rid of the logs around what your cutting, dont need the bar tip to hit whats on the other side, and the piece that your left foot is against is getting in your way, and not allowing safe and good work position, your leaning way over and not in good control of the saw.
Dont walk up to the log revving the saw, let it idle, chain brake on, then get in position, remove brake, then throttle, then cut.
Saw sounded cold, and hesitant to rev up, let it warm up at idle till its able to rev up cleanly, same with after cutting, let it idle and cool off a bit.
If saw was warm, and its behaving like that, you need to at least find out why, and start with a carb kit and correct tune and go from there.

Good to see you out and enjoying saws, now is the time to get into safe and good habits on how to handle them and use them too.
Yeah. Now all logs in the area are now split and removed all by me. I have an arborist coming tomorrow to bring me more.

Nice to see you appropriately attired. I didn't start running saws until I was over 50 yrs old. I survived the learning process, and I'm sure you will, too. Besides running saws, I've taken a lot of interest in maintaining and repairing my regular use saws as well as several vintage saws. Learning saw maintenance will help you keep your saws running and cutting their best, making your work easier and more enjoyable. I envy you having a whole lifetime of wood-cutting to look forward to. Have fun, and stay safe! O

Back