this a scam?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
my 084 is listed on craigslist, this is an email i got. my asking price is 650. on side note it might be kinda cool. haven an Evan ported 084 in the movies

Hello Evan

Thanks for writing back.We are a reputable organization and we are needing it for a movie shooting. We are in some highlands at present and don't have phone network, this is why we have to do it this way,This is exactly what I need.I'd really like to pay you in cash at hands.But right now I'm not within your reach that I could easily come for the payment and pick-up .
Am a set administrator for a movie. We move from one location to another. I would make arrangements for it to be picked up after you must have confirmed payment with your bank.So my means of payment will be Cashier's Check or money order ,which is more secured and better than any other means of payment.

Your asking price is okay by me and I would be willing to send you the asking price and I would include the shipping fees which i would highlight later.Becuase i have other stuff to pick-up by my shipper in your area .Please Note that my shipper will come to your location for the pick up after you have confirmed the payment.

If this is ok by you,I will need these information below to enable me send the payment out to you immediately via UPS so that we can proceed.

Full Name...
Address to mail the payment....
Cell Phone number....

I will mail you the payment as soon as I get the information and let you know when you will receive it.

Yes, that it's a blatant scam... Don't even reply, and block their email address.

I think it is legit. Just have him deposit the money in my Nigerian account to cover the transfer fees, and I'll give you 30% of the $750,000 that is in there.

Oh...and I'll pick up the saw tomorrow.

my 084 is listed on craigslist, this is an email i got. my asking price is 650. on side note it might be kinda cool. haven an Evan ported 084 in the movies

Hello Evan

Thanks for writing back.We are a reputable organization and we are needing it for a movie shooting. We are in some highlands at present and don't have phone network, this is why we have to do it this way,This is exactly what I need.I'd really like to pay you in cash at hands.But right now I'm not within your reach that I could easily come for the payment and pick-up .
Am a set administrator for a movie. We move from one location to another. I would make arrangements for it to be picked up after you must have confirmed payment with your bank.So my means of payment will be Cashier's Check or money order ,which is more secured and better than any other means of payment.

Your asking price is okay by me and I would be willing to send you the asking price and I would include the shipping fees which i would highlight later.Becuase i have other stuff to pick-up by my shipper in your area .Please Note that my shipper will come to your location for the pick up after you have confirmed the payment.

If this is ok by you,I will need these information below to enable me send the payment out to you immediately via UPS so that we can proceed.

Full Name...
Cell Phone number....

I will mail you the payment as soon as I get the information and let you know when you will receive it.

I'd be leery of that one, Evan.

He is asking for your phone number but said he cannot call you? I saw something similar to this on a previous thread. Sounds sketchy to me.

He is asking for your phone number but said he cannot call you? I saw something similar to this on a previous thread. Sounds sketchy to me.

Same here. Something about they send you WAY to much money and ask you to send them back the difference. Meanwhile the check they sent you is bogus.

That is a variation of the classic Craigslist scam. It happens to me all the time. I reported it to the FTC the first time, I dont even bother anymore. Cash only, and we meet face to face.

just in case some of you think people are smart enough to know this is a scam, here is proof people fall for this junk everyday...keep watch for your elderly neighbors and some friends that might be less aware....

Just the first few paragraphs are relevant but the entire story is almost unbelievable.

> Sussex Airport owner tries to avoid prison time
>
>
> By CHRISTINA TATU
>
> [email protected]
>
> WANTAGE -- Paul Styger, the owner of Sussex Airport who pled guilty Tuesday to embezzling about $378,000 in Federal Aviation Administration grants, hopes to avoid prison time by paying restitution and receiving probation, his attorney, Anna Cominsky, said Wednesday.
>
> "Mr. Styger accepted responsibility for his conduct and looks forward to putting the matter behind him," Cominsky said.
>
> According to Cominsky, Styger was involved in a wire fraud scheme to send the money to Jamaica, where it could be invested, in hopes of seeing a profit.
>
> On Wednesday, federal prosecutors arrested Wantage resident Mukund "Mike" Patel, 49, owner of the Catch 23 Deli, on state Route 23 in Sussex, and charged him with two counts of making false statements, for trying to conceal multiple wire transfer transactions were made from the deli.
>
> Patel's indictment did not name Styger, but did refer to the owner of a Sussex County airport who had "embezzled and misappropriated approximately $400,000 of federal grant money obtained from the Federal Aviation Administration."
>
> Patel's indictment said that between June 2007 and July 2008 he allowed the airport owner, using fictitious names, to make wire transfer transactions in excess of $322,000 to locations, including Panama and Jamaica.
>
> Michael Drewniak, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, said Wednesday he could not comment on the wire fraud scheme because it still was being investigated.
>
> According to the U.S. Attorney's Office, Styger applied for six grants, beginning in 2004, and received about $3.1 million meant to pay contractors for making improvements to the airport's runway, airfield and taxiway. Styger used some of that money to make the improvements, but in 2007 began pocketing the money, prosecutors said.
>
> The charges of theft and embezzlement of government money carry a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Sentencing has been set for September.
>
> Styger did not return phone calls seeking comment Wednesday.
>
> The 100-acre airport, owned by Styger since 1953, has been on the market for four years, but Styger has said he has not received an acceptable offer.
>
> Earlier this year, Wantage Township launched a $150,000 state-funded study to determine the pros and cons of purchasing the airport.
>
> Although Wantage officials were unaware of the charges filed against Styger and Styger's guilty plea, they were aware of the investigation into the use of the FAA grants, said a statement released by township officials Wednesday.
>
> "State and FAA officials told us, in confidence, that these investigations were going on," said Township Administrator Jim Doherty. "We were not able to talk about these factors publicly because it would have compromised the investigation, and the efforts at securing justice."
>
> Doherty said state and federal officials assured the township they would not be held responsible for any outstanding fines, penalties or unpaid grants if the airport were purchased.
>
> In the statement, Doherty noted a number of factors that would make it extremely difficult for a private investor to make a profit on the airport. Those factors included outstanding grants and pending penalties, needed repairs at the airport and the fact federal grant money is not available to a private party for purchase of the airport.
>
> If the township or county were to purchase the airport, federal grants would be available to pay for it.

--

I get these every time I list something. Now whenever I list something on CL, I put right in my ad that unless they respond with a phone number, I won't reply. It's worked so far, it seems the scammers don't bother with those of us who they think are "on to them".

Notice they said they would include the shipping fees, which they would "highlight later". This is the classic scam - they send you what appears to be a valid Cashier's check for much more money than the original transaction was for, and often contact you right away saying something like that their secretary had made an accounting error with the shipping amount and over-valued the check. They then ask you to deposit the check anyway and send the excess cash back to them. Most banks will allow partial cash-back of checks right away, so by the time the bad check bounces, you'll have already paid out the difference to the con artists out of your own pocket, along with being on the hook for any NSF bank fees for cashing the bad check.

At least this is the common scam we've seen in my neck of the woods, but I'm sure every bunch has their own little twist on things, such as the whole movie pitch that you received.

Hello Evan

Full Name...
Cell Phone number....

do not reply to these people take note they want your number so they can steal your identity do not i repeat do not respond to this scammer CL is loaded with scammers

so be careful

calvin

If you can't meet eye to eye and get cash in your hand BEFORE you get rid of your product, it's a scam!

Same goes for buying something. If you can't meet eye to eye and hand the person cash, it's a scam.

thanks for replies and heads up. i set it at that price so i could come down alittle i figured anyone interested would wheel and deal.

Back