This is getting really old....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Reaction score
[rant] The rules say a poster MUST have a minimum of 50 posts to post items for sale in this forum.

Everytims a noob comes on with 10-20 posts and trys to sell something I have to 1, close the thread, 2, delete the thread, and 3, PM the noob about the rules he should have seen to begin with. and usually there's a 4, more PMs with the noob about how they don't like the rules.

The rules are in place to keep Arboristsite from becomming a dumping ground for non-contributing sellers. They can go to ebay, and it's not free there either.

Like I said, it's getting really old. Not gonna take much more before I start advocating the closing of the entire trading post forum.

I'll get off my soapbox now. [/rant]
-Ralph

begleytree said:
[rant] The rules say a poster MUST have a minimum of 50 posts to post items for sale in this forum.

Everytims a noob comes on with 10-20 posts and trys to sell something I have to 1, close the thread, 2, delete the thread, and 3, PM the noob about the rules he should have seen to begin with. and usually there's a 4, more PMs with the noob about how they don't like the rules.

The rules are in place to keep Arboristsite from becomming a dumping ground for non-contributing sellers. They can go to ebay, and it's not free there either.

Like I said, it's getting really old. Not gonna take much more before I start advocating the closing of the entire trading post forum.

I'll get off my soapbox now. [/rant]
-Ralph

Is it possible the set up the site to not allow anyone to post for sale items until they have 50 posts? Kind of like the way you cant send more than 1 PM in any 60 second time period.

Yes there is, BUT, the only problem with that is, they won't be able to post wanted stuff either. actually, won't be able to post at all until 50 posts.
so how do you stop them from just putting it in chainsaw then?
-Ralph

Mike Barcaskey said:
begley,
simplify your life, just delete them, message, member and all. let them figure out what they did wrong
one time for you and done

DO IT.

Not a banning, just a deleting.

Fred

While I can understand your frustration, you must have realized when you became a mod there would be days like these.......

I can feel your pain as Im a leader (new age foreman) in the factory where I work. One day (after my getting bent at the whole mess) My boss gave me and ultimatum, Do the job and take all the carp that comes with it(not to mention the pay) or go back on the bench and be a pain in someone elses rear(and take they requisite paycut). He added "If people just behaved we could save XXgrand a year in your salary alone".

Ive never looked at peoples ignorance the same way again as Ive come to realize that it pays my bills.

I understand you probably dont get paid, but there must be a reason you do it.

Im not saying I have all the answers, but Im sure shutting down the forsale forum wont solve this. They will just flood the other forums with it, then youll have to close them too.

Give them a warning about this behavour, and then Just flick them off like a fly.

JMO

Mike Barcaskey said:
begley,
simplify your life, just delete them, message, member and all. let them figure out what they did wrong
one time for you and done

Yeah begley, don't punish us by shutting down the forum because of the noobs. Don't PM them. Just delete it, lock it whatever and give them a link to the rules thread.

Jeff

begleytree said:

cord arrow said:
i've had to kill the classifieds on my forum, and i'm guessing you'll eventually have to do the same.

.....yeppirs, only a matter of time.....

the moderator postion is one you either deal with the s--t that comes with it, or let someone else do it.as someone else said, its just like being someones boss except you're not paid to moderate forums.

Guys, I can't just not PM them. Not allowed to. same as I'm not allowed to post the vicious PM reply I just got back from a guy who's selling thread was deleted. But he'll be easy for you all to find. for the next 3 days, his title will be 'banned'! I don't make the rules, and I can't shut down any forums.

I posted this to allow the regular users to shout out at the few, but enough, members who cannot follow the rules.

As far as simplyfing my life, well, this was an attempt.

LM, After all this time, you think I don't know what a mod job entails? you're wrong, BTW, I deal with some sh-t from a member, until it gets to be a habit, then I simplify my life some ;)
-Ralph

Lawn Masters said:
the moderator postion is one you either deal with the s--t that comes with it, or let someone else do it.as someone else said, its just like being someones boss except you're not paid to moderate forums.
There are not exactly folks lined up for this job. The moderators don't owe us a trading post forum.

Just a programming thought

Could you enter java script only in the trading "post thread" button that pops-up rules (minimum posts plus other rules) and they either have option to either click on agree that they comply and it posts thread and if they click disagree it clears the post message. This in fact saying that they agree to comply with rules(somewhat like a license agreement). To add internal check you could also have the java script look at the number of posts if they selected agree and if posts were under 50 then send them a "warning message" stating so and clear the message.

Problem solved. You must have 50 posts to create a new thread in the trading post. All reply functions ect are the same.

just a thought.......

new members now cannot post for "wanted to buy" items until they have 50 posts.
is it possible (or too much of a hassle) to split the Trading Post into 2 seperate forums?.......a seperate "for sale" forum and a seperate "wanted to buy" forum? that way the 50 post lock-out will not affect newer members looking for parts or saws.
sounds fair and reasonable to me, ....any thoughts?

Back