This scrounge score could be one for the history books. But there's a problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
Reaction score
Most of you that talked to me when I first joined here know that I got a nice score of hardwood when the new community college was being built. This was easy access as all of it was dropped right on the side of the road. Me and a couple other scroungers went ape :censored: collecting this for a couple weeks. Maybe about 2 months after that, the asplundh crew that was clearing the trees made another entrance further down the road. After going about 150 yards in past the clearing you can see where they piled up log after log, almost like they were just trying to get it out of the way so the construction vehicles could get back there and start building. There has to be 3 huge piles and some smaller stuff scattered about. No one has tried touching this as far as I can tell (I was walking back there a couple days ago). The problem is it's pretty far back into the property and if someone approached me and asked what was I doing, I probably wouldn't have much to defend myself. So who do I ask? The college that owns the property? Or maybe the construction guys? Or maybe just go back there and start cutting and hope nobody says anything? :msp_rolleyes: I'm thinking if I tried talking to some high ranking college administrator that I would just get the brush off. I know if it was private property I'd damn well check with the owner before stepping foot on it, but with businesses, does anyone even care?

Most of you that talked to me when I first joined here know that I got a nice score of hardwood when the new community college was being built. This was easy access as all of it was dropped right on the side of the road. Me and a couple other scroungers went ape :censored: collecting this for a couple weeks. Maybe about 2 months after that, the asplundh crew that was clearing the trees made another entrance further down the road. After going about 150 yards in past the clearing you can see where they piled up log after log, almost like they were just trying to get it out of the way so the construction vehicles could get back there and start building. There has to be 3 huge piles and some smaller stuff scattered about. No one has tried touching this as far as I can tell (I was walking back there a couple days ago). The problem is it's pretty far back into the property and if someone approached me and asked what was I doing, I probably wouldn't have much to defend myself. So who do I ask? The college that owns the property? Or maybe the construction guys? Or maybe just go back there and start cutting and hope nobody says anything? :msp_rolleyes: I'm thinking if I tried talking to some high ranking college administrator that I would just get the brush off. I know if it was private property I'd damn well check with the owner before stepping foot on it, but with businesses, does anyone even care?

Yes, and I'd check with head of maintenance/grounds if I were in that position.

From what I've seen around here, is the crew from asplundh will eventually bring in their big dump truck and grinder to clean up those logs. So, getting hold of the college authorities overseeing the project would be your best bet.

From what I've seen around here, is the crew from asplundh will eventually bring in their big dump truck and grinder to clean up those logs. So, getting hold of the college authorities overseeing the project would be your best bet.

:agree2:

Yes, and I'd check with head of maintenance/grounds if I were in that position.

And have him sign a permission note on college letterhead.

They'll likely say no based on liability. But you also don't want to get harassed for trespassing and/or timber theft either.

Even though Asplundh will likely just come in a grind it all up :cry:

And have him sign a permission note on college letterhead.

They'll likely say no based on liability. But you also don't want to get harassed for trespassing and/or timber theft either.

Even though Asplundh will likely just come in a grind it all up :cry:

Letterhead huh. Now thats taking it pretty far. Assuming the maintenance guy has any idea anyways.

How about just stopping and asking the job foreman if you can cut a few truck loads. Most of the time the logs are the property of the clearing or grading contractor, if he's just going to grind them he might give you a load.......if you asked.

People have stopped on our jobs and asked for wood, I will give them a small pile in the corner to work on cutting, out of the way. If I just showed up on the job and somebody was there cutting, you can bet they would be thrown off the site...................

You didn't specify, is it a pile of sawlogs waiting to go to the mill? Tops waiting to be chipped? Wood that the college wants to keep?

Lots of eyes in a situation like that

Letterhead huh. Now thats taking it pretty far. Assuming the maintenance guy has any idea anyways.

How about just stopping and asking the job foreman if you can cut a few truck loads.

The asplundh crews around here are Mexican, and the foreman can barely form legible words in english. They have their orders, and that's the end of the matter.

How about just stopping and asking the job foreman if you can cut a few truck loads. Most of the time the logs are the property of the clearing or grading contractor, if he's just going to grind them he might give you a load.......if you asked.

I agree. A friend of mine scored some good oak that a construction crew took down to widen a parking lot just by stopping and asking the man in charge. He told him go get your saw, because they were going to chip it up by the end of the week. Can't hurt to ask.

ASK, ASK, ASK the foreman on the crew. Best deal I ever got was the county boys were taking down some monster oaks in a local park. I asked about the wood and was told they were going to come back later and haul it away for disposal. When I asked if I could bring my saw back and cut some up I got told "NOOOO! You cannot run a saw on county property. I'll have one of my guys cut it up for you. And if you need help loading the big stuff, let me know." :rock:

Magically, a case of the foreman's favorite beer appeared on the site before the end of the day.

Get verbal permission from someone at the college, or someone from the tree removal crew. Get a verbal and a name only. That way no one gets nervous about liability and if someone stops you, your not totally in the wrong. "I talked with Joe Blow and he said it was OK".

If johnny law or who ever asks, then you at least have that and the worst that will happen is they tell you to go away. Just my 2 cents. KD

I work construction and can tell you that on any job thats the size of a colege you will be told no way Jose no how can you enter the job site. Especially with your saw. Liability insurance wouldn't allow it at all. Most jobs, the guys that work on it aren't even allowed to cut would.

Thats why when I'm cutting I just go in and cut. Might not be the right way but its the only way to get some of the wood. I call it the don't ask don't tell way of getting wood. Get yourself a hardhat and one of those green vests and go at it.Get in and get out. The worst that will happen is you'll get thrown off the jobsite. They are deffinately not going to call the cops. Thats bad P.R. for sure and no one wants to explain that to the college or the locals.

If you ask the foreman then he's on record as knowing you're there. I know around here they'll tell you no. Now if you're sneaking in, and you get hurt, he's off the hook and can say he didn't even know you were there. Like I said its not the right way but it is "THE WAY"

pennsywoodbrnr:

I know exactly where & what you're talking about. I go by that area b/c I work in Swiftwater.

I'd find out who is doing the prep work for the site and then ask the foreman.

I might be able to find that out for you and maybe the two of us can work together. I'm just up rte 115 from you and I have a few friends that live over there in Jackson Twp, Reeders area.

pennsywoodbrnr:

I know exactly where & what you're talking about. I go by that area b/c I work in Swiftwater.

I might be able to find that out for you and maybe the two of us can work together. I'm just up rte 115 from you and I have a few friends that live over there in Jackson Twp, Reeders area.

Good plan! Hope it works out for the two of you!

I picked up about 30 logs, all 20-24" round and 14' long like that. They could not allow me to cut on the property, but I backed my trailer in and they loaded the logs onto it. I'd run home, dump and head back. Took me a good couple years to get it all cut up, but it was a really nice score. They were happy to get it hauled out of there and not have to cut it or haul it. Keep looking for someone to ask.

If you can't find anyone to ask, just show up with a orange reflective vest and have at it.

pennsywoodbrnr:

I just got done sending you a private message. Let's do this! :rock:

Latest posts

Back