THOSE OF US THAT HEAT WITH WOOD,DO YOU USE A HUMIDIFIER? WHAT SIZE AND KIND?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a forced air wood furnace for my only heat source .i don't use a humidifier just got used to it I guess .i tried some before but I could never get them to increase the humidity level to make a worthy difference . It's about 20% humidity in my house

THANKS FLOTEC!!THATS WHAT MINE IS ROUGHLY,AND HAVE ALSO SAME EXPERIANCE WITH THEM,HOPING SOMEONE HAD BETTER LUC THAN ME

I use a couple of those cast iron ceramic coated oval pots on my stove.
They work really well for adding humidity to the house as the fire burns, just refill as needed.
WoodStoveSteamers01.jpg

THANKS HAVAWOODY,MY FURNACE IS OUTSIDE AND FORCES HOT AIR IN THROUGH A SINGLE DUCT,SO WOOD NEED SOMETHING ELECTIC I GUESS?

I just use a free standing humidifier, you know, one of those fill the tank and a fan blows air across a filter looking wick thingy. I have it in the bedroom, doesn't do the whole house, but I figure it is the room that we spend 1/4-1/3 of the day in...

We had a unit that was rated for 2500 square feet, and it would increase the humidity a few percent but that was it. Since we've done some home improvements and tightened things up, the humidity levels are staying higher. We were putting at least 3 gallons of water a day thru it. Due to the home improvements, humidity levels are staying the same as last year without the use of a humidifier. The floor units sold at Home Depot and such seem to do okay, just a little expensive. Ours was around a hundred dollars. On high, it was also noisy.

We have used multiple smaller humidifiers in the past and have fought dry air. Last year we got an EssickAir whole house humidifier. Model # H12-400HB. Looks like they are ~$145 through a major internet retailer. It does a lot better job of getting the humidity up. Right now our air is a little dry at ~30%RH but most of the time it is right in the comfort zone of our little humidistat. It also seems the filter lasts longer than the smaller ones.

My house used to get terribly dry. I looked into getting a big stand alone humidify but for a little more I could get a whole house unit. I went with a Honeywell HE365. Been working for 3 years with no problems, just replace the evaporative pad once a year.

My wife just sets some of those aluminum (throw-a-way) loaf pans on a couple of the heat registers with water in 'em... she uses registers sort'a hidden or out'a the way, and fills them with a houseplant watering thingy once a day. Side benefit... the dogs have several choices where to get a drink :D

Yup... water cans on the registers, that's what my Mom did when we were growing up. We had wooden kitchen chairs and they'd creak like crazy in winter, the air was so dry.

Mom placed some old coffee cans on the furnace registers and kept 'em filled with water. It made a difference.

I don't think my region needs them. Crap at 0* the other day it was 78% humidity outside. I do however have a clothes line set up in the basement so there is some good constant moister. Also the water filter drains in the corner of the basement as well in winter.

I spend 6 months of the year removing humidity from my house. Not going to spend the heating season adding it. Humidity runs 20%-30% in the winter and I don't see the big deal.

I fill this beer can up with water and set it on top. I dunno if it helps, but I go through a couple cans a day.

Attachments

• can.jpg
    can.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 8
We use a Honeywell humidifier with the wick/filter, fan, and two tanks you have to constantly fill. It goes through over 2 gallons a day, and it makes a difference, but you really have to keep up on filling the water. We have a freestanding stove in the middle of our living space, so it gets pretty dry. If you slack off on filling the humidifier for a day, you get lots of sparks and static pops when you pull the covers back to get in bed. It makes a difference in comfort if you have a cough or sore throat too, and cuts down on the nose bleeds from the dry air.

We actually run two humidifiers in the winter, one on the main floor and one in the finished basement. They are both the type where you take the tank off and fill with water. It wood be too dry in here without them. The air in the winter in these parts can be drier than the Sahara desert. Even if I didn't heat with wood I still run them with the forced air oil furnace.
dave

Yes Spidey I do. I knew you would catch that and chime in, with that big pulsating brain and all. I did just get my humidity sensor and the house is 33% at 73*

Back