Thought maybe some would like to see this.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is an old piece that has been handed down through our family for a long time. What may first look like an early hatchet is not.

MVC-008S_1.JPG

Short throw and it is 15 1/2 inches from end of handle to where it comes through. Cutting edge is 6 inches.

MVC-002S_1.JPG

This is the oldest one I have. It is a specialty axe.

MVC-003S_2.JPG

Handle is offset totally to one side. This was used to hand hewn wood beams before the days of saw mills

MVC-002S_2.JPG

This is looking straight down the side

MVC-004S_2.JPG

MVC-005S_1.JPG

MVC-006S_1.JPG

I have actually used it too. We moved an original log cabin back on Dad's place and some of the timbers were gone on the bottom. We pulled a few logs out of the woods and did then the old way. We used this and an adz but we cheated some with a saw. Gives you a LOT of respect for the way they had to do it.

sycamore.JPG

You can see the cabin to the right side here. Thought some may have never seen one of these tools and would be of interest.

I like that. It's called a side axe I think. They are made left or right handed, and the original handle had a kink just below the head to offset it enough to give 'knuckle clearance'. They would have started the hewing with a broad axe or adze, or split it with a froe, then cleaned it up with the smaller axe I think. There's a fun TEDtalk called something like 'have broad axe, will travel'

Very interesting Kevin, I always wondered how they did that so clean. When I moved on to this farm, we had several out buildings that were made that way. All the timbers were held together with wooden pegs. Looking back, I wish I would have kept them. A few years back I gutted a building for my boss and all of the interior beams were made that way. Some of the beams were 8x8 and 24 feet long. Many were made of Tamarack and or a Fir type timber... Needless to say he sold all the timbers..

This is an old piece that has been handed down through our family for a long time. What may first look like an early hatchet is not.

MVC-008S_1.JPG

Short throw and it is 15 1/2 inches from end of handle to where it comes through. Cutting edge is 6 inches.

MVC-002S_1.JPG

This is the oldest one I have. It is a specialty axe.

MVC-003S_2.JPG

Handle is offset totally to one side. This was used to hand hewn wood beams before the days of saw mills

MVC-002S_2.JPG

This is looking straight down the side

MVC-004S_2.JPG

MVC-005S_1.JPG

MVC-006S_1.JPG

I have actually used it too. We moved an original log cabin back on Dad's place and some of the timbers were gone on the bottom. We pulled a few logs out of the woods and did then the old way. We used this and an adz but we cheated some with a saw. Gives you a LOT of respect for the way they had to do it.

sycamore.JPG

You can see the cabin to the right side here. Thought some may have never seen one of these tools and would be of interest.
those WERE the days,, when men,, were MEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back