Thoughts on a hard hat with a clear face shield

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a hard hat with a clear face shield instead of mesh. I have one with mesh and while it keeps out sticks it doesn't keep out sawdust. For some reason I my eyes are sensitive and any sawdust soon creates a major problem. I've tried wearing safety glasses underneath and that works but it's kind of a pain. I was wondering if anybody has used ones with clear shields. They look like they would be nice but I wonder if they would give you trouble fogging up in cold weather or not. Anybody ever try one or have any experience? Thanks

I'm thinking about getting a hard hat with a clear face shield instead of mesh. I have one with mesh and while it keeps out sticks it doesn't keep out sawdust. For some reason I my eyes are sensitive and any sawdust soon creates a major problem. I've tried wearing safety glasses underneath and that works but it's kind of a pain. I was wondering if anybody has used ones with clear shields. They look like they would be nice but I wonder if they would give you trouble fogging up in cold weather or not. Anybody ever try one or have any experience? Thanks

I have never warn one with a hardhat but I do wear a clear face shield at work and it will fog in cold weather enough to cause you to stop and clear it pretty quickly.

I have never warn one with a hardhat but I do wear a clear face shield at work and it will fog in cold weather enough to cause you to stop and clear it pretty quickly.

X2. We wear them with hardhats all the time at work, your breath fogs them really easily.

Best bet is to find a pair of glasses that fit you right and get used to it. It's much better than a shield for comfort. Probably safer depending on how you look at it, because you can actually see what you're doing.

And there are alot of differences in safety glasses generally the more costly the more comfortable.

Thanks guys that's kinda what I figured but wanted someone with firsthand knowledge.

And there are alot of differences in safety glasses generally the more costly the more comfortable.

At work they buy us the cheapest they can find, and I actually like them best:

http://www.shoplet.com/Crews-Checkl...CRWCL110/spdv?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=CRWCL110

.88 each, and they work great for me. Better than the $5 or $10 ones from Home Depot or Lowe's. Buy a dozen or so, when a pair gets scratched just throw it away and grab a new pair.

Tinted ones:

http://www.shoplet.com/Crews-Checklite-Scratch-Resistant-Safety-Glasses/CRWCL112/spdv

I have a Stihl white constuction helmet with a clear shield it is good to keep the dust out on windy cold days also good when cutting Poisen Ivy.

One of the guys I climb with just bought a kasik hard hat with the clear face shield, it only goes down to the bridge of his nose but from what I have seen and what he has told me its pretty nice on keeping the sawdust out of the eyes which for us in the trees that is very important. I know sherrell tree and tree stuff.com sell them but I think you are looking in the $140 price range.

One of the guys I climb with just bought a kasik hard hat with the clear face shield, it only goes down to the bridge of his nose but from what I have seen and what he has told me its pretty nice on keeping the sawdust out of the eyes which for us in the trees that is very important. I know sherrell tree and tree stuff.com sell them but I think you are looking in the $140 price range.

I have the Kask with half shied it is not worth it get the full shield the dust gets right in your eyes.

Motorcycle glasses. They have a Strap on them so they don't move around or fall off, plus a spongy gasket around the glass for air to enter, while keeping dust out. I don't where anything, but if I did it would be those.

I have the Kask with half shied it is not worth it get the full shield the dust gets right in your eyes.

Really I can't do the full shield and climb. Only time if I have to stump grind, I will stick with my petzel and safety glasses.

Some of the guys at work use these in dusty conditions.

Elvex GG-45G-AF Safety Eyewear, Foam Back, Gray Lens

1247608_300.jpg

With a conventional hard hat (and the eye protection that works best for you) you can flip it backwards to better look up when felling. Sure felling is only is less that 5% of your hardhat/chainsaw time but it's also when a catastrophic event is most likely to happen.

Latest posts

Back